Setting Default ANNO Set For Elevations Cross Sections?

HumbleChief

Every time I cut a new elevation or cross section the ANNO set box is loaded with active defaults that I can't use and need to be changed with every new Elevation. I have a template plan where the Elevation cameras are set to the correct Anno Set but every new elevation requires manually re-setting the active defaults or choosing another Anno Set? Missing something?

Larry,

As Edward R Murrow used to say:

• "That's the way it is."

You can define Annosets for Sections and Elevations and switch to one of those but there isn't any way to make a new Section or Elevation automatically use a specific Annoset.

This would be a good one to request.

Just now, Joe_Carrick said:

Larry,

As Edward R Murrow used to say:

• "That's the way it is."

You can define Annosets for Sections and Elevations and switch to one of those but there isn't any way to make a new Section or Elevation automatically use a specific Annoset.

I haven't done (or needed) much maintenance on my Cameras but was flummoxed when I couldn't find a setting...That blows a little. I'll see what Eric has to say.

Yes, the so called "Layer Set Defaults" should really be "View Type Defaults" and include columns:

•  Annoset    [Define]          Layer Set  [Define]

Basically functioning to provide selection of either or both and define/edit those defaults. 

As Eric said, if the selected Annoset specifies a Layer Set then that should over-ride or specifically change the Layer Set in the dbx.  That is always my preference but some users prefer otherwise - and "Saved Plan Views" and "Saved Cameras" over-ride everything else.

6 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Yes, the so called "Layer Set Defaults" should really be "View Type Defaults" and include columns:

•  Annoset    [Define]          Layer Set  [Define]

Basically functioning to provide selection of either or both and define/edit those defaults. 

As Eric said, if the selected Annoset specifies a Layer Set then that should over-ride or specifically change the Layer Set in the dbx.  That is always my preference but some users prefer otherwise - and "Saved Plan Views" and "Saved Cameras" over-ride everything else.

Again very surprised by the lack of functionality...

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Again very surprised by the lack of functionality...

I can see how it would be useful - and I would probably use it.  OTOH, I generally just select the desired Annoset immediately after creating a orthographic view and save the camera.

It would be nice if that wasn't necessary.

Yeah,  8 don’t get 5his either.  I had notnotic3 this before X11.  I wonder what changed.

I am writing this on an iPad ,  a subtle move of mythping and differen5 letters show up....but I bet you can still read what I am saying.

Can someone expalin why you would ever need this?  

I mean it’s not like whatever you draw on the elevation or cross section will ever end up being visible anywhere else in your plan or layout. Right?

That is, all annotations of any kind on the given cross section or elevation only “live” there. Am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Basically so that the annotations (dimensions, text sizes, arrow sizes, etc) would be what you want automatically.  Of course, you can have defined Annosets and Layer Sets to switch to, making that happen.  So the only real advantage would be the elimination of a couple of mouse clicks.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

I mean it’s not like whatever you draw on the elevation or cross section will ever end up being visible anywhere else in your plan or layout. Right?

That is, all annotations of any kind on the given cross section or elevation only “live” there. Am I missing something?

Yes annotations, notes etc. only live on a cross section or elevation and those in my case are almost all sent to Layout in some form but you've got me thinking...does it matter which Anno Set or active defaults are used? I think it does as you can then determine all of those settings in active defaults to control dimensions text etc. in your drawing.

The confusing part to me is why there's no way to set up a default Anno Set (only default Layer Set) and the active defaults cannot be set up as defaults either?

Layers and Annot sets is head and shoulders above what Archicad and Revit has to offer in this area of functionality. We are fortunate for that. 

Just wanted to point that out. 

Revit has “categories” and are not global. No layers. No creating new layers or even assigning a drawing element to a new layer. 

Archicad has layers like in Chief but you can not have an anno set that will place a drawing item or annotation like a line or text on a specific layer in advance. You have to select the tool and then change it’s default layer and then begin to draw....every time!  For every item. 

8 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Layers and Annot sets is head and shoulders above what Archicad and Revit has to offer in this area of functionality. We are fortunate for that. 

Just wanted to point that out. 

Revit has “categories” and are not global. No layers. No creating new layers or even assigning a drawing element to a new layer. 

Archicad has layers like in Chief but you can not have an anno set that will place a drawing item or annotation like a line or text on a specific layer in advance. You have to select the tool and then change it’s default layer and then begin to draw....every time!  For every item. 

Ouch...

I have set up a layout system of already sent my sections, elevations etc. and all views to my layout ,thus never having to mess with them other than adjusting their location and window size for different plans. The anno-sets are always the same as I sent them.

9 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have set up a layout system of already sent my sections, elevations etc. and all views to my layout ,thus never having to mess with them other than adjusting their location and window size for different plans. The anno-sets are always the same as I sent them.

yea,  I think that is what I did eons ago and I don't have issues....  it's when I am starting anew......