Dormers are stupid...

MarkSM

Auto dormers (not floating)) will require walls at the back of the dormer. Don't know what you're trying to do. If all else fails, try placing a blank floor above (don't move roof) and then place a floating dormer on new floor. (display roof on floor above) Didn't look at your plan.

8 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

Auto dormers (not floating)) will require walls at the back of the dormer. Don't know what you're trying to do. If all else fails, try placing a blank floor above (don't move roof) and then place a floating dormer on new floor. (display roof on floor above) Didn't look at your plan.

Sorry Tommy.  I should have been more c lear.  I just want a floating dormer.

4 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

Try as I mentioned.

I went to the attic floor and even tried adding a second floor.  No luck.  Its the two walls underrate my dormer that it doesn't like.  I just can't figure out why it won't let me delete those walls.797542175_ScreenShot2019-03-12at2_53_07PM.thumb.png.fbee7238b232f6c4307f996155a86aa7.png

8 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

I've always displayed my roofs above and usually reference walls below so I know for sure where I'm placing it. Then display roof below.Too many steps? Oh well.

I'm not saying its not a valid method, I'm just suggesting that the extra steps might just be adding confusion.  The problem here is that the floating dormer can't be placed where there are conflicting walls.  The answer is to place the dormer on a floor where there are no walls in the way.  Adding a floor is not necessary to solve the problem (and in this case only added confusion since the extra floor causes some auto generated attic walls), and moving roof planes is not necessary to solve the problem (could be addressed anyway by simply turning on the reference display too).  I'm just trying to narrow the focus in on the actual problem without introducing unnecessary extra steps.