Grumpka

Lazy Question about Chief & interior walls-Solved

Hi Friends,  Very quick question, and yes, I'm lazy, but more-so stressed.   How can I draw my walls for a kitchen, using interior walls, and get Chief to stop measuring from the outside, instead of the inside?   Something so simple, fundamental to kitchen and bath design, is we all work with finished interior measurements.  We don't ever care about outside measures.  So, what little simple CHECK both am I being blind to?  I know it's there, but I want to cry.  Where is the damn thing? LOL. 

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Set your dimension defaults to "Finished Surfaces" or whatever that named option is.

Thanks, no luck finding such.  I was thinking it might be a setting in the wall defaults for interior walls.... nothing there either.  Speaking of walls, can you hear my head hitting the wall?  :)

This is how I have mine set up for kitchen and bath design.

dim2.PNG

dim1.PNG

dim3.PNG

Find these in Default Settings - Dimensions, Choose your scale, edit, under locate objects. 

Temp dimension settings are Default Settings - Dimensions, Temp

Yup, all set on those.   As it stands, when you draw INTERIOR walls, Chief likes to put the end points from the EXTERIOR, kind of funny and counterproductive.  So, I know it's got to be me, not Chief.   If I want a square room, 170" x 190",  there's no way to tell it that this is the finished interior measures.  

I've actually have completed several plans in Chief, but had to fidget around with walls to get them close to what I need.  I watched videos, read, and this TIP 101, seems to be missing, or, like I said, it's looking at me and I'm missing it.  :)

GOT IT! I think. Defaults, Walls, General Walls,  Resize about INNER SURACE.  LOL.   Oh thank god.

EDIT:  NOPE!  Close!  Still, if I resize wall, it's not understanding I want inside measures.

More to follow.   

Update, I'm getting there.   Thank J_Ward  Appreciate your assistant.   At least I am in the right direction now. 

Are you talking about placed dimensions or temporary dimensions?

If temporary dimensions, go to Defaults > Dimension > Temporary Dimensions, and see what your settings are.The radio button for "With Wall Selected" should be set to "Locate Both Wall Sides" to do what you want.

3 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Are you talking about placed dimensions or temporary dimensions?

If temporary dimensions, go to Defaults > Dimension > Temporary Dimensions, and see what your settings are.The radio button for "With Wall Selected" should be set to "Locate Both Wall Sides" to do what you want.

Got that part, as you describe.  I think I need to work with this a bit more, now that I at least have the ability to drawer my walls from interior measurements. Actual dimension lines, I have been placing manually. I think this may all be that learning curve I was warned about.  Back to the training videos for me...

Okay, I got it now.   Step One Must set Default, Walls, General, to resize about 'inner surface'.   Step two,  I was not setting the room specifications to tell chief it was a Kitchen!  Once I've done that, I can use the KNBA auto dimension.  After that, I quickly learned how to edit the wall lengths properly.   All good.  So, nobe figured it all out finally.  :)
Now, off to my next challenge.   (wish we could add -SOLVED to the thread titles, or can we?)

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Grumpka said:

wish we could add -SOLVED to the thread titles, or can we?

You don't see an Edit button at the bottom of your first post? Click it and the title can also be edited.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

You don't see an Edit button at the bottom of your first post? Click it and the title can also be edited.

Perfect!  Hopefully, someone will find this if they have a similar question.  

32 minutes ago, Grumpka said:

Okay, I got it now.   Step One Must set Default, Walls, General, to resize about 'inner surface'.   Step two,  I was not setting the room specifications to tell chief it was a Kitchen!  Once I've done that, I can use the KNBA auto dimension.  After that, I quickly learned how to edit the wall lengths properly.   All good.  So, noob figured it all out finally.  :)
Now, off to my next challenge.   (wish we could add -SOLVED to the thread titles, or can we?)

I have never needed resize set to Inner Wall to do this  ( remodel and Renos mostly) , or Kitchen (Room) or NKBA Annotations..... but that maybe another Way :)

image.thumb.png.b8bce42732e943ef22b452069bcbfe26.pngimage.thumb.png.595b9c706cf3ea3a32788f95ea2209a5.png image.thumb.png.26af46c3257cc02f190c528cac982904.png

From your example, you are working with exterior wall types and interior wall types.  It's much faster if using Interior wall types only, as 99% of the time, I'm only working with the interior structure.   I'm coming from the world of 20-20 Design.  So, being able to adjust Chief to a more firmer way of thinking helps.  Plus, I can't understand why anyone would dimension interior walls from the out measurement.  I'm sure it's more about how one uses Chief.  I'm 100% interior and don't waste time showing two different wall types.  Cabinet installer is not going to care, he just needs measurements to set the cabinets by. 

Interior wall types vs exterior wall types is irrelevant.  All walls have a "Main" layer which is the default to measure to, resize about, etc..  The dimension defaults are the only things that effect where the dims (temporary, exterior, interior, etc) locate to.  By default these are almost all to the Main Layer.  Only by setting those defaults to Locate Wall "Surfaces". will you get what you want consistently.

DO NOT change the "Main Layer" of a Wall Type unless you want to have all sorts of trouble.

17 hours ago, Grumpka said:

I'm 100% interior and don't waste time showing two different wall types.

"waste time" how many seconds?

Might want to consider the benefits of using Chief's full abilities. It can set your work apart from the average 2020 box store jockey who can't show the same things. Doing so got me work from allied professionals (referrals), sold cabinets for more rooms, found construction issues, and often closed the deal with a homeowner (what will it look like when I come in the front door?) YMMV...or not :)

View of my kitchen plan template, Why are there cameras there already? (ask Yoda :) perspective cameras are there too but on a hidden layer, what is that point doing in the corner?)

Kitchen Template.png

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Might want to consider the benefits of using Chief's full abilities. It can set your work apart from the average 2020 box store jockey who can't show the same things.

200% Agreement. Not sure why one purchases CA and then tries to make/configure it to be like the software there're switching from, might as well stay with the devil you know.

The big advantage with CA is that it enables you to show the kitchen or any other cabinetry within the full context of the clients home. This is even more important as clients move to ever increasing open floor plans. From a design perspective clients need to be able to visualize the entire area not just the cabinets in isolation. As many projects involve considerable renovations such as removing walls, relocation of plumbing, electrical and more CA allows one to access the impact of this and to identify/anticipate potential complications. With CA you do not have to be just a kitchen cabinet layout person, your can become a cabinetry/interior design consultant who can bring a much broader range of service and support to the table.

All taken into consideration folks!  Always appreciate the tips.  I sold the job I was stressing to finish yesterday.   So, didn't matter how I got there, it came out great, impressed the heck out of contractor and homeowner.  I'll assume something I'm doing works right...  Even figured out some tricks with PBR.   Loving the program... even if I'm going about using CA a bit differently.  

newrender.jpg

insane.jpg

opening4.jpg

• Like 1