Slow - When changing reference plan file in layout

tchomes

I am experiencing a very slow processing time (20-30 seconds) when doing my "save as" routine.  Each time we work on a file and send a revision to a customer, I do a save-as on both the plan and layout file, then I have to re-link the new plan file to the new layout file, by changing the "Reference Plan File" on the layout sheet.  I have been doing this since Version 10, not an issue and just a part of our process.  However, I have noticed with X11, that it appears to be updating all my views (non-live views) during this process and greatly slows down the once, 2-3 second process.  With cabinet elevations and exterior elevations, it can take up to 20-30 seconds to make this change.  Most of the time, I haven't made any changes to the .plan file and do not need my .layout file updated.  All of my elevation view dependent edits have to be redone and my isometric views sometimes go off the page and I have to re-find them and center.  If I am only making a callout change, I don't want to have to spend 15 minutes, checking everything again due to this process.

I am hoping someone from Chief can tell me if this is true or not, or if something else is going on during the change "Reference Plan Files" on the layout page?  If this is an option to turn off, I would like to know that as well.

Thank you,

Roy 

1 hour ago, tchomes said:

....  However, I have noticed with X11, that it appears to be updating all my views (non-live views) during this process and greatly slows down the once, 2-3 second process......

Yep,  me too,  I am on a MAC,  are you using a MAC?

32 minutes ago, tchomes said:

I'm not on a MAC.

Me either and it is slow here too..... when the scrollbars disappear I know I have to wait till they comeback to move on..... same thing happens when I 1st open X11 too....

On 3/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, tchomes said:

I'm not on a MAC.

this won't help Mac Users but  I have also noticed a slow down in X10 this week , which made me think this maybe Win10 Update related, especially since I read there were issues for some with the last Cumulative Update , so I uninstalled it via Programs in Control panel this afternoon and X11 is at least twice as fast...as far as loading Cameras or even opening and being read to work.

Coincidence you posted the Day it was released?

March 12, 2019 - KB4489899 (OS Build 17763.379)

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/128745-cumulative-update-kb4489899-windows-10-v1809-build-17763-379-mar-12-a.html

*** I have since done a Repair Install over Win10 with the latest M$ .iso and so far all is well.

The issue is X11 "Auto Updates All Views" after the relinking to the new reference plan file.  It doesn't matter if you create the new file names within Chief or out of Chief, or plan file first and then layout file or vice versa.  This is new to X11 and never has been an issue before.  I have reported it to Chief to see if they can fix it or make it an option for those who requested this feature be added.  Our layout line edits have to be redone, let alone the 1-2 minutes it takes to update all the views on final drawings when we are only trying to update a text box or something minor...

Hopefully a fix soon.

1 hour ago, tchomes said:

Our layout line edits have to be redone

That would be a step backwards! I was just about to switch over to X11 (have it downloaded) but may wait. I send almost all of my views as plot lines to layout. I then edit several plot lines to clean-up the elevations and sections. Having no control over which ones update would be a real problem for me.