Alignment of floors (levels) on layout pages - how?

J_Ward

Is there a way to align a foundation, first floor, second floor, etc. on layout pages? Each floor has its own page. I send the floor to layout view, but the floor plans are never in the same position on the page. I have to have them in the same place on the page for each level of the home, but can't figure out how to align them from page to page.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Here's what I do.  I only ever send a single plan view to layout.  For the next page, all I do is copy/paste hold position that first layout box and then change the Plan View (and/or floor, layer set, etc.).

I'm a bit confused about this method. Do you have a video of this?

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Other Way would be to add a Point to the Layout Template (Page 0 or Input Point on specific Pages) and then use Point to Point move for a certain Corner etc.

M.

I found an old post that mentioned this method as well, but the problem is that you can't snap to a wall edge for example when in Layout and point move it to a CAD point for alignment. So that doesn't work for me....or I'm doing something wrong.

I found an old thread on the original Chief Talk forums that had a pretty good workaround:

Here is how I do it. Draw a cad box to represent Layout box in plan view on the floor with the largest extents. Make sure nothing is showing outside the box, like cameras, etc. This will determine the boundaries of the layout box. Copy/hold position the box to the other floor levels. Now you have a reference that will generate identical sized layout boxes between the floors. Place a temprorary point on the layout sheet where you want the upper left corner. Send to layout with 'snap to active cad point' checked. Go to next layout sheet, cad point will still be there. Send next floor to layout with 'snap to active cad point checked', and so on. They will be perfectly lined up.

The only thing about this that didn't work for me is the send to layout with the snap to active cad point checked. So I simply made my original cad box the same size as my layout sheet and did a point move on the layout box to the layout sheet corner.

42 minutes ago, J_Ward said:

I'm a bit confused about this method. Do you have a video of this?

Just do what I said, STEP BY STEP.  Select your layout box, copy it, go to the next page in your layout, paste hold position.  Now open the layout box and change to the desired plan view.  If necessary you can optionally change the layer set using the Layout Box Layers tool.  I don’t think there could possibly be a faster method.

1 hour ago, J_Ward said:

I found an old thread on the original Chief Talk forums that had a pretty good workaround:

The only thing about this that didn't work for me is the send to layout with the snap to active cad point checked. So I simply made my original cad box the same size as my layout sheet and did a point move on the layout box to the layout sheet corner.

This is likely what I was remembering this morning.......

Michael's method isn't that difficult especially now with Plan Views etc , we can make the Layout box pretty much show us whatever we want in Plan View especially,  by Opening the Layout Box Specs. and adjusting the Annotation Set or Plan View Sets , Floor etc etc ...have a look and you will see what he is suggesting.

M.

17 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just do what I said, STEP BY STEP.  Select your layout box, copy it, go to the next page in your layout, paste hold position.  Now open the layout box and change to the desired plan view.  If necessary you can optionally change the layer set using the Layout Box Layers tool.  I don’t think there could possibly be a faster method.

Ahh. I get it now. I'd never touched those settings before in the Layout Box Specification area. Very nice indeed.

Thank you for your assistance.

19 minutes ago, J_Ward said:

Ahh. I get it now. I'd never touched those settings before in the Layout Box Specification area. Very nice indeed.

Thank you for your assistance.

You should make it a habit to always open the Layout Box dialogue box to ensure that the right annotation set is being used.

It mysteriously switches sometimes to “using active defaults”. This is because you may have inadvertently messed around with layers or annotations while in the plan view. 

Which is why we should have an “apply” or “update” button in the layer set so you can temporarily switch layers on and off without affecting your layer set permanently. 

Here re is a video from Chief...

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5222/plan-view-panel-in-layout.html

17 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

You should make it a habit to always open the Layout Box dialogue box to ensure that the right annotation set is being used.

It mysteriously switches sometimes to “using active defaults”. This is because you may have inadvertently messed around with layers or annotations while in the plan view. 

Which is why we should have an “apply” or “update” button in the layer set so you can temporarily switch layers on and off without affecting your layer set permanently. 

Here re is a video from Chief...

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5222/plan-view-panel-in-layout.html

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have no idea what annotation sets are, let alone what the correct one is to use. It's not something I use.

I'll take a look at some training videos about them.

“I'm embarrassed to admit that I have no idea what annotation sets are, let alone what the correct one is to use. It's not something I use.

I'll take a look at some training videos about them”

Well, if your only designing models and doing interior decor etc then I think you can live without them. 

However, if you create construction documents then they are necessary.