Creating layout template from existing project layout

vikiw_bend

Here's how I would do it:

- turn on the layer called "Layout Box Borders" and set the color to something very visible.

- select each layout box on each page.

- if you see the "Relink File" button on the edit toolbar, click on it.  This will show you the file name that the layout box is linked to.

Dermot,

Unfortunately that only shows the file name, not the full path and file name - which could be a critical item.  Of course you can look at the header bar to get the path.

BTW, it is not required to display the border of the Layout box.

Very helpful thread.

I constantly have various views sent from various plans as the model evolves and using %referenced_filename% with Layout Labels turned on during Layout creation, then turning off Layout Labels for final printing will help identify any straggler views sent from the wrong plan file. I don't think I need the full path at this time because my plan files are never that far apart in my folder structure.

Again thanks for the lively discussion and some great solutions.

I had to give you a red mark for this Joey.  The box you are talking about does tell us what files are associated with this,  but it does not help us locate the particular layout boxes that are associated with a particular  file.

You guys all realize that I am putting my foot in my mouth because in about 43.67 minutes Glenn Woodward is going to come on and give us the answer and I am going to feel like a big nimrod.

Thanks Scott I will take the red mark, green mark, yellow mark..... as long as I get some sort of attention here so I don't feel left out. :)

As for this discussion for some reason I don't have any problems with linking and un-linking and cleaning up the files to make template out of them. My problem is I can't really tell you how I do it I just do it. I seem to make thinks work some how. Everyone on the forum has helped me so much that I am very pleased with my new automatic & live plan setup. Very efficient! Maybe I will have to do a video on it soon and share what I have learned with the rest of the world. Its still a drop in the bucket of what can be done with CA but its much better. You brainy-acks are still way over my head.