Creating layout template from existing project layout

vikiw_bend

My attachment show the plan associated with the Layout, but what the Layout itself does not show is which of the LAYOUT BOXES within the Layout are associated with what file.......

From the different solutions that have been posted in this thread,  I still do not see an easy solution.

It seems like a layer in the layout ,  a layer that could be turned on,  and this layer would have text in each layout box that would identify from which plan file the layout box came from,  would be helpful.

As I said earlier,  this is not a huge issue for me,  but I do understand how a means of identifying the plan file source of a particular layout box could be useful in some situations.

Scott,

Isn't that the file name up in the title bar of the dbx?

The windows one looks the attached where the file name is in the title bar and down the bottom in the File Name dropdown box.

I am trying but I do  not  follow this.  I do  not understand where your dbx came from.

File name of what in what title bar of what dbx?

I want to select a layout box in layout and identify from which plan file this came from.  Is that what you did?

Scott,

See Post #20.  There was a mistake in my post that you quoted.  The correct thing to enter in the Ruby Console is:

owner.referenced_full_filename

Nope,  I still can't follow.  Even if I could follow,  I do not want to be a programmer.  So  Dermot,  Joe and Glenn (some of the greatest minds of the program) have solutions and I still can't figure it out.  

Scott,

If all you want is a layer with the filename in it, use the label with the  %referenced_filename% macro for the label.

But I guess you are going to say you already use the label for something else.

So..easy way, just select the layout box and use Match Properties tool.

It will tell you the filename and path, select one and all the layout boxes on that layout sheet that use that same plan file will be selected for editing or deletion.

It seems like a layer in the layout ,  a layer that could be turned on,  and this layer would have text in each layout box that would identify from which plan file the layout box came from,  would be helpful.

You can use the Layout Box Label and use the %referenced_full_filename% macro to do this.

As an alternative, here's a macro that can be attached to the Layout Box border.

layout linked plan file.zip

Nope,  I still can't follow.  Even if I could follow,  I do not want to be a programmer.  So  Dermot,  Joe and Glenn (some of the greatest minds of the program) have solutions and I still can't figure it out.  

Scott,

Joe is using the Ruby Console which you can find under Tools...Ruby Console.

Type owner.referenced_full_filename in the input box at the bottom of the dbx.

You can use the Layout Box Label and use the %referenced_full_filename% macro to do this.

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA BUT I DO NOT WANT TO FILE NAME ASSOCIATED WITH THE LAYOUT BOX LABEL

As an alternative, here's a macro that can be attached to the Layout Box border.

I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE THE MACRO... WHERE DO I USE IT

i think we are getting closer to a solution

Are you trying to pull a Larry "Humble Chief" on us?  I know you understand how to attach a macro to a Label.  I'm also pretty sure you know how to use the Ruby Console to get the value of an attribute.

i think we are getting closer to a solution

Two Possibilities:

1.  Create a Text box with Arrow

a. Insert the macro

b. Attach the arrow to the Layout Box Border.

2.  Simply select the Layout Box

a.  Open Text Macro Management

b.  Highlight the Macro

c.  The File Name will be displayed in the "Evaluation Panel"

The pic shows the results of both methods of using the macro.

post-47-0-98295300-1434116245_thumb.jpg

Are you trying to pull a Larry "Humble Chief" on us? 

I know you understand how to attach a macro to a Label. 

YES,  BUT I DO NOT WNAT IT PART OF LAYOUT BOX LABEL

I'm also pretty sure you know how to use the Ruby Console to get the value of an attribute.

NOT REALLY,  I DID IT,  BUT I  COULD NOT FIGURE OUT WHAT PLAN FILE IT WAS ASSOCIATED WITH

If I knew how to do it,  I would do a quick vid so everybody could understand how to do it an we would not be going around in circles.

OK Scott, Here's a pic of the Text Box with my macro in it connected to the Layout Box.

which macro did you use Joe?  I am in the middle of a GTM so I am having a difficult time deleting all the options until I find the correct one.

This thread is a perfect example of why I do videos.  I have posted 9 times this morning and I still do not know how to do it.  A video tends to show the method used and if there is a problem,  the problem pops up.

Another reason I do vids,  I do not have to go back and forth answering questions on how to do something.

easy peasy,   it saves time for everybody.

The layer linked macro I received from you.....  I do not think this is what you meant to send.

{

"Version": 2, 
    "UserDefinedMacro": {
        "Name": "layout_linked_plan_file", 
        "Value": "begin\n  owner.referenced_full_filename\nrescue\n  referenced.referenced_full_filename\nend", 
        "ShouldEval": true, 
        "Context": "none"
    }
}

Scott,

You need to import the file in Text Macro Management.

otherwise, just copy this to a new macro:

begin
rescue
  referenced.referenced_full_filename
end

Ruby Scripts (.json) don't make much sense when opened with notepad.

Scott,

You need to import the file in Text Macro Management.

otherwise, just copy this to a new macro:

begin

rescue

referenced.referenced_full_filename

end

Ruby Scripts (.json) don't make much sense when opened with notepad.

Got it,  thanks Joe,  you forgot to tell me to check the EVALUATE BOX.

So it took awhile to learn how to do this.  But I did.  It would be easier if CA set it up so us nitwits could get this information without having to learn Ruby.

post-50-0-78872700-1434123218_thumb.png

Scott,

If all you want is a layer with the filename in it, use the label with the  %referenced_filename% macro for the label.

But I guess you are going to say you already use the label for something else.

YES,  I AM USING THE LABEL AS A LABEL,  NOT A GOOD SOLUTION

So..easy way, just select the layout box and use Match Properties tool.

It will tell you the filename and path, select one and all the layout boxes on that layout sheet that use that same plan file will be selected for editing or deletion.

GREAT SOLUTION,  THANK YOU,  EASY PEASY

And he does it again.  Thanks Glenn.

ain't that interesting,  it works with the word "reverenced"

Not if you select the layout box and check the macro in Text Macro Management.  That's where the "owner" is evaluated.

BTW, any of these methods work.  The point of my macro was to provide the text directly on a layer that could be turned off - PER YOUR REQUEST.  ;)