Creating layout template from existing project layout

vikiw_bend

I modified an old layout file on the fly while doing a project, but if I saved it as a template before beginning to link files, I can't find it now. :) So, what is the best way to delete the links in this layout file so I can save it as a template?

If I might ask, what version are you using?

Also, are you looking to create a layout template within the same version of CA, or are you moving from X5 to X6?

I think what you are wanting to know is how to relink Layout Views to a different plan file.  Your use of the term deleting links is making it a little difficult to know for sure what you are really after.

I will take a stab at pointing you in the right direction.  In a layout file, go to the Tools Menu, then to Layout.  At the bottom of the list you will see Referenced Plan Files.  Select that item and it will open a dbx "dialog box" that will allow you to relink to a new plan file.  There is more to it.  You will need a matching Plan file as a Template as well if you are going to get what I expect you are after.

Let us know if that is what you are after or not.

I am using X6. And I want to remove any links to existing plan files so this is a clean layout template. I deleted all the layout boxes and so far, so good. I was just wondering if there could still be "ghosts" of formerly linked plan files.

Don't think so.  The Layout Views are what are linked.  You could have multiple plan files, but they will still be linked to a specific Layout View, not the Layout itself as I understand it.

The SAVE AS METHOD and modifications thereof are very powerful ways ot using predefined Layout views.  I thought maybe that was what you were asking about.  My bad.

Follow the Menu to the dbx as mentioned above to see if there are any plan files listed.  Hopefully that will let you know for sure.

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to use an existing LAYOUT but without the links to the previous plan. The attached is the file shows the link I would like to delete. I would think a button "Remove plan reference" would not be much to ask, but then again may it's there and I am just not seeing it.

Thanks,

post-5149-0-44481900-1434053903_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to use an existing LAYOUT but without the links to the previous plan. The attached is the file shows the link I would like to delete. I would think a button "Remove plan reference" would not be much to ask, but then again may it's there and I am just not seeing it.

Thanks,

Scott,

Just delete any Layout Boxes that were from that Plan.

And how do you find those layout boxes that are from a particular plan?

Example: 4 different files are associated with a layout,  and there are layout boxes from the 4 different files spread out over 100 different sheets of the layout file....  how do you quickly find those particular layout boxes that are associated with the particular file you no longer want a part of the layout.

This was a very good question by Scott that I do not have an EASY answer for.

Joe, is there a way to see which one are linked to which plan? Most of my notes and details are from a plan I DO want to remain associated with the Layout so being able to see the file association from a Project Browser of sorts, would be great.

Thanks,

Joe, is there a way to see which one are linked to which plan? Most of my notes and details are from a plan I DO want to remain associated with the Layout so being able to see the file association from a Project Browser of sorts, would be great.

Thanks,

Isn't that what this "Referenced Plan File" dbx is for? To see what the layout file is connected to?

• Downvote 2

Isn't that what this "Referenced Plan File" dbx is for? To see what the layout file is connected to?

I had to give you a red mark for this Joey.  The box you are talking about does tell us what files are associated with this,  but it does not help us locate the particular layout boxes that are associated with a particular  file.

You guys all realize that I am putting my foot in my mouth because in about 43.67 minutes Glenn Woodward is going to come on and give us the answer and I am going to feel like a big nimrod.

My attachment show the plan associated with the Layout, but what the Layout itself does not show is which of the LAYOUT BOXES within the Layout are associated with what file. Some are easy, my Notes are all in one file (Thanks DSH), and that one is fine. What is odd is most everything else has been removed except my notes. I could delete them one by one just to figure out issue but that is waste of time.

Scott, Of all the people...I was counting on your for the answer! You let me down Bro!

Kidding of course. I'll post the suggestion in the proper area of CT.

Thank you both for replying,

It has not been a huge issue for me to date,  but I certainly realize that it could be a real PITA.

1. Open the Ruby Console
2. Select a Layout Box
a. Type owner.referenced_full_filename
b. If that's not one you want to keep - select it again and delete it
c. Keep doing this until all are gone.

It is also possible to have that filename as a part of the Layout Box Label but I don't really like to do that.

Here's how I would do it:

- turn on the layer called "Layout Box Borders" and set the color to something very visible.

- select each layout box on each page.

- if you see the "Relink File" button on the edit toolbar, click on it.  This will show you the file name that the layout box is linked to.

1.  Open the Ruby Console

2.  Select a Layout Box

a.  Type owner_full_filename

b.  If that's not one you want to keep - select it again and delete it

c.  Keep doing this until all are gone.

It is also possible to have that filename as a part of the Layout Box Label but I don't really like to do that.

Joe,

This way may be easier.

It's not perfect and can only do 1 layout page at a time.

So, although not perfect, it may help.

If you know a layout box on a page is from a plan file you need to match, click on the layout box and then click Match Properties. 

The dbx has Referenced Filename and a Referenced Full Filename properties that you can use to select all the layout boxes on that layout page that match that criteria. 

Or you can just use the Match Properties to quickly find out the file name and path. 

Scott,

Here are a couple of pics.  The advantage for me is that the Ruby Console is non-modal so it can stay on the screen while you select another Layout Box, another sheet, etc.  Once you have typed owner.referenced_full_filename once you only have to press the up_key and return to repeat the command.  With the match properties dbx it might be a bit easier but you have to close the dbx each time because it's modal.

post-47-0-73930000-1434067511_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-42280000-1434067528_thumb.jpg

Joe,

Isn't it great that there is nearly always another way of achieving something in Chief.

Mainly, I wanted to point out the beauty of using Match Properties to select all the particular matching layout boxes on that sheet and be able to edit them (including deleting) all in one go, without having to edit each one individually.

Here's how I would do it:

- turn on the layer called "Layout Box Borders" and set the color to something very visible.

- select each layout box on each page.

- if you see the "Relink File" button on the edit toolbar, click on it.  This will show you the file name that the layout box is linked to.

Okay,  I used Dermot's method and the pic shows what I got.  I do not think Dermot's method works.  

I think Dermot's method shows the folder the file is in,  but as you can see there are two files in the folder.  Dermot's method does not show the exact file that is associated with the layout box.

Am I missing something?

post-50-0-46335100-1434113255_thumb.png

1.  Open the Ruby Console

2.  Select a Layout Box

a.  Type owner_full_filename

b.  If that's not one you want to keep - select it again and delete it

c.  Keep doing this until all are gone.

I could not follow your instructions.  Can you do a quick vid?

Scott,

Isn't that the file name up in the title bar of the dbx?

The windows one looks like the attached where the file name is in the title bar and down the bottom in the File Name dropdown box.

Edit: I just had another look at your dbx.

Is that the Filename box below the title bar that also has the filename in it?

post-106-0-42118700-1434113902_thumb.jpg