#1 laptop to be used with Chief?

EGerace

2 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Joe,

Have you checked to make sure NVidea Graphics is being used rather than the "OnBoard GPU"?

Hey Joe,

I updated both of my monitors and also updated my NVIDIA driver to the latest version. Still having the same problem but I wanted to thank you for your help! Eventually something will come up and I will figure it out.

On 3/12/2019 at 4:32 PM, Renerabbitt said:

ahh Okay, I see it...

so in conclusion, pretty sure he has the 860 evo SATA 2.5" as a primary with a WD500 NVMe as a data drive not being used, and then the firecuda got ditched as he probably only has 1 SATA 2.5" space available

This statement above is correct!

I dropped off the computer and he is putting in a 1TB SSD NVMe m.2 (i think i said that right) as the primary drive and he will clone it for me. And then I will use the other 1 TB as my backup or extra data.

He doesn't think it will make much difference but then again he dont know anything about the software we are using. I just want to make sure I can get the best out of the equipment that I purchased and that it is being used the way it was designed to run.

Thank you ALL very much for this thread. This should be a good testimony to "EGerace" (the starter of this thread) of the generous help you can get from this forum!

10 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

This statement above is correct!

I dropped off the computer and he is putting in a 1TB SSD NVMe m.2 (i think i said that right) as the primary drive and he will clone it for me. And then I will use the other 1 TB as my backup or extra data.

He doesn't think it will make much difference but then again he dont know anything about the software we are using. I just want to make sure I can get the best out of the equipment that I purchased and that it is being used the way it was designed to run.

Thank you ALL very much for this thread. This should be a good testimony to "EGerace" (the starter of this thread) of the generous help you can get from this forum!

That is good news Joe......  he is going to use a Quality 1TB NVME right? .....like the Samsung 970? , did you make it Clear you know how to check what;s installed now :)

You tend to notice the Speed at 1st but after  a week or too it becomes "normal" and you want even more :)

did you ask him to look into the Video Output Issue too?

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

That is good news Joe......  he is going to use a Quality 1TB NVME right? .....like the Samsung 970? , did you make it Clear you know how to check what;s installed now :)

You tend to notice the Speed at 1st but after  a week or too it becomes "normal" and you want even more :)

did you ask him to look into the Video Output Issue too?

Yes he is putting in the right stuff this time. Thank you!

They are also going to look into the Video output issue but I'm not so sure they will solve that one because I had the same problem with two other computers. It could be a Chief thing or the monitors. I'm going to try other monitors and ask some more questions and call support again when I have a little more time to mess with it.

46 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Yes he is putting in the right stuff this time. Thank you!

They are also going to look into the Video output issue but I'm not so sure they will solve that one because I had the same problem with two other computers. It could be a Chief thing or the monitors. I'm going to try other monitors and ask some more questions and call support again when I have a little more time to mess with it.

Don't forget to update you Signature Specs ;)

11 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Here is my final outcome with my drives:

·        C: (Main Disk) Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD

·        D: (Data/Backup) Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD

Certainly an upgrade over what it came with ...... ( both times :) )

A Tip , I am trying from Rene....

If you have 32gb RAM try AMD's Free Ram Disk set to the max 4GB, I use M:\ for the RAMdrive as R was already used, and on the RamDrive make a Folder called Temp and one called Undo ,  and then point CA to the RamDrive in Preferences to each Folder.

http://www.radeonramdisk.com/software_downloads.php

M.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Certainly an upgrade over what it came with ...... ( both times :) )

A Tip , I am trying from Rene....

If you have 32gb RAM try AMD's Free Ram Disk set to the max 4GB, I use M:\ for the RAMdrive as R was already used, and on the RamDrive make a Folder called Temp and one called Undo ,  and then point CA to the RamDrive in Preferences to each Folder.

http://www.radeonramdisk.com/software_downloads.php

M.

Yes, I was planning on going back and studying Rene's post about this subject and see if I can figure it out. I dont have have a full understanding and I dont want to get into something like this if I dont know why I'm doing it. I need a dumbed down explanation. You know like one of those books for idiots! Thankts Me!:huh:

Shame on every one of us, including me, who posted to this thread-except for the first 3 or 4 posts. Those advised the newbie to search the forum. Another thread in Tips has the same suggestion. Now and for a while a search of the forum for laptops will bring this thread to the top of the list-4 pages of hijack while Builtrights original thread on his problem collects dust where I doubt all suggested diagnostic steps were followed AND I seriously doubt that a drive will solve a display issue. Then we tell newbies to read "how to get good answers"
We should all know better.

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Shame on every one of us, including me, who posted to this thread-except for the first 3 or 4 posts. Those advised the newbie to search the forum. Another thread in Tips has the same suggestion. Now and for a while a search of the forum for laptops will bring this thread to the top of the list-4 pages of hijack while Builtrights original thread on his problem collects dust where I doubt all suggested diagnostic steps were followed AND I seriously doubt that a drive will solve a display issue. Then we tell newbies to read "how to get good answers"

I'm doing a video to better explains my problem with my external monitors. Should I start a new thread for that? I'm also going to send it to Chief.

25 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I'm doing a video to better explains my problem with my external monitors. Should I start a new thread for that? I'm also going to send it to Chief.

Probably a good Idea ...perhaps in the Chatroom , though I guess it is Chief related , though maybe not only chief related ?

35 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Should I start a new thread for that?

Well certainly don't continue here-you do have a previous thread about the problem though-might just use that

and since the OP was told to search and someone even suggested making a laptop sticky-maybe someone with time on their hands can post some links to appropriate threads as an edit to a post on the first page?

Edited by MarkMc

18 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Well certainly don't continue here-you do have a previous thread about the problem though-might just use that

and since the OP was told to search and someone even suggested making a laptop sticky-maybe someone with time on their hands can post some links to appropriate threads as an edit to a post on the first page?

I agree with your thoughts but things are hard to control. Its always easier said than done.

I search all the time for stuff and its a lot of information to navigate through and so that in itself can be very time consuming. Easier to ask the question and get direction one way or the other. I don't have a good answer for this but I do know that this forum works very well like it is and it gets better.

As for me, I will comply with an rules the best I can and help as much as I can.

Thank you Mark, I really appreciate you!

43 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

can post some links to appropriate threads as an edit to a post on the first page

I did already on Page 1 , the link should find any thread with "Laptop Recommendations" .... it has the Threads I am aware of at least.....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21696-1-laptop-to-be-used-with-chief/?do=findComment&comment=177495

Unfortunately I don't think there are any Mods who could split this into 2 posts......

3 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Focus is not a real strong human trait me thinks....What do you think? (trying to change the focus of this thread to focus. Let's see if it works)

8 minutes ago, Electromen said:

Do you think it's worth changing to NVME on my Mac Pro.  My test results on my internal SSD are 1446 MB/s Read, 887 MB/s write

Dig a bit deeper , at those speeds it maybe PCIe already , not as fast as some of Samsungs (3000-3500 range) but most SATA SSD's are normally in the 500-550mbs range , so I am thinking it is just amass produced NVME eg one of Toshiba's or Intel's models made for other OEM's not the Consumer Market , many laptops use them...

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Dig a bit deeper , at those speeds it maybe PCIe already , not as fast as some of Samsungs (3000-3500 range) but most SATA SSD's are normally in the 500-550mbs range , so I am thinking it is just amass produced NVME eg one of Toshiba's or Intel's models made for other OEM's not the Consumer Market , many laptops use them...

According to the system report, I have no NVME devices.  The internal storage is an Apple SSD PCI.  My Mac Pro has PCIe x 4 available so it would take full advantage of NVME, I'm just not sure it's worth it.

4 hours ago, Electromen said:

According to the system report, I have no NVME devices.  The internal storage is an Apple SSD PCI.  My Mac Pro has PCIe x 4 available so it would take full advantage of NVME, I'm just not sure it's worth it.

HI Greg, I am not really up on MAC hardware , though I've fixed a couple this year , both had standard SATA SSD's. You'd be best to ask on one of the MAC Forums or perhaps on iFixit and look for a Repair/Upgrade Guide for your Model.

Normally if I saw PCI(e) in the name I would suspect NVME as PCIe is needed for NVME M2 Drives to function at Full Speed , in A PC it would be PCIe 3 x4 ( version 3 , 4 Channels) for example.  Your Apple SSD PCI may only be using 2 channels which would explain the slower speed seen than a 4 channel model , though it is still twice as fast as a normal SATA SSD Drive.

did a search on Apple SSD PCI and found this..... seems they are Proprietary and have different slots than the PC versions...

https://beetstech.com/blog/apple-proprietary-ssd-ultimate-guide-to-specs-and-upgrades

11 hours ago, Electromen said:

Do you think it's worth changing to NVME on my Mac Pro.  My test results on my internal SSD are 1446 MB/s Read, 887 MB/s write

I'm very, vary, vary happy with my upgrade to the NVME but I'm on a PC so I dont know if that helps you. I dont know anything about MAC and to be honest I dont know much about PC but I do know that the NVME is the hot ticket for me! I love it!

• 2 years later...