#1 laptop to be used with Chief?

EGerace

Hello! I am new to Chief Architect, as in I haven’t purchased the program, but plan on it. 

I am in the market to purchase a new laptop, Mac is high on my list. 

Which laptop is your favorite to use with Chief? 

6 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Posting the same Question twice in an Hour isn't going to help your cause....

done any forum searches? this is asked EVERY week....

** beaten to it... :)

Sorry!!!!! I must have posted twice by mistake! I’m new to this forum. 

1 hour ago, EGerace said:

Sorry!!!!! I must have posted twice by mistake! I’m new to this forum. 

There is lots of Info here ...but not alot on MACs.. mainly cos CA recommends Nvidia Graphics cards but they are now in MACs too.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/search/?q=Laptop recommendation&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

And Budget plays a big part eg have you got $1K, 2k, 3K or even 4K?

Download the Trail and Start Playing.... maybe what you ave is good enough for now?

doing you signature and letting people know who you are will help too .....

*** to fill in your Signature.... go up to the top RH Corner above and click on your UserName> Account Settings> Signature.... and enable Signature (will Turn Green) then add your Hardware Details and Chief Software Version, as different Version require different Answers.

21 hours ago, EGerace said:

Hello! I am new to Chief Architect, as in I haven’t purchased the program, but plan on it. 

I am in the market to purchase a new laptop, Mac is high on my list. 

Which laptop is your favorite to use with Chief? 

Welcome to Chief if you are coming aboard! I love this Program!

Keep in mind that a lot of people in this forum has there computer specs in their signature and so you can see what their using. Makes it easier to help others diagnose problems if they know what type of equipment and CA version is being used. The more information the better.

My info is below but its not a mac. 

6 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

My info is below but its not a mac. 

If you can't see it , that is because you haven't done yours and enabled Signatures while doing it....

Mine is there too but a desktop.

4 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I dint know this, Thank You!

It seems some new members don't see them by default , but when you setup your Own there is aa Checkbox to enable All Signatures to be View , you can later turn off individual one's  if you don't want to see them.

David did a Short Video that may help too....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk/?tab=comments#comment-155662

17 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It seems some new members don't see them by default , but when you setup your Own there is aa Checkbox to enable All Signatures to be View , you can later turn off individual one's  if you don't want to see them.

David did a Short Video that may help too....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk/?tab=comments#comment-155662

I know about the video and turning on the signature but I didn't understand that you have to have something in your signature box to be able to view others. Am I understanding that correctly now?

2 hours ago, builtright3 said:

I know about the video and turning on the signature but I didn't understand that you have to have something in your signature box to be able to view others. Am I understanding that correctly now?

Sorry Joe , now I see what you were getting at....   no you can have an empty Sig. but if you haven't been into set one up,  it is unlikely that the Option to view Signatures is On as you need to check that Forum Box in your Profile (not Avatar). I think Sigs. maybe off by default if you Use Mobile Apps to reduce the Data cost....

M.

6 hours ago, lbuttery said:

the general recommendation is to buy the best gaming computer you can afford

not sure if Mac's make gaming computers 

Lew

I think I've changed my opinion on this...I bought the best gaming laptop I could afford and yes it has served me well.. now 5 years later and it still works flawlessly I realize that the graphics card was not necessary for what I need my laptop to do...and really,the heavy lifting comes from an NVME drive and lots of ram.

So if I were to do it all over again I would buy a small and lightweight, convertible touch-screen lappy with room for ram and an M.2 NVME. CA works wonderfully in a touchscreen environment and for takeoffs/as-builts the keyboard is rarely used- especially with a Bluetooth laser.

10 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Curious as to how you've come to this conclusion. Not challenging your expertise or your analysis but truly wondering why you would make this claim??

CA does a ton of read writing and memory spikes galore...whereas you just wont see that much difference between the same gfx/mem/HD hardware system with one being a 4ghz 8 core and the other a 3ghz quad core...YET,  you'll see a world of difference between an SSD with low ram vs an NVME primary, SSD secondary, with tons of RAM and a RAMDISK plus a larger page file on the second drive.

An ultrabook, setup with a lot of RAM and NVME's can smoke a gaming computer in PRODUCTIVITY in my opinion...I am so much faster on an iPad remotely connected to my laptop than on my laptop itself....b/c of the touch screen.

see screener:

1759603188_resourceallocation.thumb.PNG.f8e352b3359fa2df537b92252fa3b052.PNG

20 min sample of me working and CPU usage is very low on the whole but read writes and HD activity are huge

14 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

CA does a ton of read writing and memory spikes galore...whereas you just wont see that much difference between the same gfx/mem/HD hardware system with one being a 4ghz 8 core and the other a 3ghz quad core...YET,  you'll see a world of difference between an SSD with low ram vs an NVME primary, SSD secondary, with tons of RAM and a RAMDISK plus a larger page file on the second drive.

An ultrabook, setup with a lot of RAM and NVME's can smoke a gaming computer in PRODUCTIVITY in my opinion...I am so much faster on an iPad remotely connected to my laptop than on my laptop itself....b/c of the touch screen.

see screener:

1759603188_resourceallocation.thumb.PNG.f8e352b3359fa2df537b92252fa3b052.PNG

20 min sample of me working and CPU usage is very low on the whole but read writes and HD activity are huge

Never heard of this "NVME" before and so if someone can dumb it down for me to understand it I would be very appreciative.

As you can see in my signature I went with what I though was a pretty powerful computer but now I have been disappointed because everyone told me to get a gaming computer and I don't see it being any faster than what I had before. Not that I'm upset at anyone because i did a lot of research and it was my choice. I never heard of "NVME" so not sure what to think now.

9 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Never heard of this "NVME" before and so if someone can dumb it down for me to understand it I would be very appreciative.

As you can see in my signature I went with what I though was a pretty powerful computer but now I have been disappointed because everyone told me to get a gaming computer and I don't see it being any faster than what I had before. Not that I'm upset at anyone because i did a lot of research and it was my choice. I never heard of "NVME" so not sure what to think now.

Laughing because you have an NVME drive in your computer, and your computer is a gaming machine- haha, or is that what you are saying, that you went with a gaming machine?

I have other posts about creating RAMdisks and setting your UNDO as well as the user library to the RAMdisk as you have plenty of RAM.

your CA should be installed on your NVME primary drive, along with anything else associated with CA.

I'm surprised you can't tell the difference, what did you upgrade from? At the very least you should notice that windows fires up really fast and that programs open up really fast

then again, thats kind of my point, I'd prefer a touch convertible for the marginal performance increase

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

Laughing because you have an NVME drive in your computer, and your computer is a gaming machine- haha, or is that what you are saying, that you went with a gaming machine?

I have other posts about creating RAMdisks and setting your UNDO as well as the user library to the RAMdisk as you have plenty of RAM.

your CA should be installed on your NVME primary drive, along with anything else associated with CA.

I'm surprised you can't tell the difference, what did you upgrade from? At the very least you should notice that windows fires up really fast and that programs open up really fast

I’m glad my imbecility is humorous to you! LOL

I'm also glad that you pointed something out to me I didn't know.

Everything works very well and very fast. Just when I'm in 3D and making changes that it hangs up. My other computer wasn't much less than this one.

Also, I'm having issues with the program locking up when I use the 3D on additional monitors. I sort of given up on trying to fix it for now.

3 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Everything works very well and very fast. Just when I'm in 3D and making changes that it hangs up. My other computer wasn't much less than this one.

Also, I'm having issues with the program locking up when I use the 3D on additional monitors. I sort of given up on trying to fix it for now.

give CA a call, shouldn't be happening..are you using the SAM method? maybe you have a texture file causing problems