X11 Siding

Designer1

3 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

This is how it should be IMO, unfortunately some textures like stucco do not follow this structure

It surprised me in that this is not how Chief has done things in the Past but maybe how they are moving forward.... it seems work just fine for the basic Colours ( some colours don't cover white well though when "blended")

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It surprised me in that this is not how Chief has done things in the Past but maybe how they are moving forward.... it seems work just fine for the basic Colours ( some colours don't cover white well though when "blended")

It actually doesn't blend colors as the name would suggest, at least not to my findings...it complete replaces the color..something like in the presence of something other than black, 255, 255, 255 replace all other color values with the color picked

46 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

It actually doesn't blend colors as the name would suggest, at least not to my findings...it complete replaces the color..something like in the presence of something other than black, 255, 255, 255 replace all other color values with the color picked

This is mostly true. It doesn't "blend" colors, i.e., blending yellow color into a blue material does not make the material green, it makes it yellow. But in the most literal sense it does not "replace all other color values with the color picked" either. There is some blending going on. The hues of the existing values are changed to match the hue of the color picked, while the values remain relatively unchanged.

Color value refers to the color's relative darkness and lightness. These relative values are not changed. Hue refers to the place on the color spectrum, red, green, etc. The color picked determines the hue of the new blended material. The "blending" that happens is the new hue being blended with the previous values, modifying the material to have the same distinct shading but a different "color."

It's a great tool that allows us to create a material that possesses the shading characteristics of the source material but with a different color, as opposed to wiping out the shading definition and just ending up with a flat color. But it could be made much better if it didn't always completely erase the variety of hues. Some textures, stone for example, may comprise a variety of hues, which when "blended" are all mapped to the single hue of the picked color. At times I want to make something just a little "browner" or "redder" without losing the variety of hues in the texture, and without going into Photoshop or another image editor and making a new texture file. It would be nice if there was an option to shift the color of all hues without mapping them all to the one new hue. (Suggestion time?)

Finally, the existence of such multi-hued textures is why all textures are not just grayscale value maps with a single color hue applied.