X11 Siding

Designer1

This is a jpeg of the standard default siding exterior wall.  Can someone tell me whats wrong with the siding?  It appears chief made lines delineating the wood yet the texture isnt fitting correctly to the wood siding?  I havent ever seen this before in prior versions.

Thanks!

Siding.jpg

Yes, I know there are a lot of siding choices in the library, I just wanted to bring this to everyones attention given this is the default texture for X11 Siding 6" wall.  Im sure Chief didnt mean to put such a flawed texture on the default wall it just looks funny in 3d.

Rich, how strange is this...how can some of us be seeing the textures misaligned while others are not.  The pictures you took appear to be quite a distance compared to the picture I took... if you scroll in closer what does the texture look like? 

Don't know what to say Chad, but your image

is showing a wood grain texture that isn't the

default for Siding 6. Have you applied a bump

or normal map to your siding? BTW, zooming

in or out doesn't change anything on my end.

Image3.png

How weird!  No Ive applied nothing to it at all, just hit the new plan button, open 3d with the siding and get the camera on the wall and thats what Im seeing.  I noticed that Eric was saying he noticed the same texture as I do too.  I wonder why only some chief users are seeing this?  I wrote in to tech support to let them know, we'll see what they say.

Thanks for taking pictures and telling me your experience with it.

It has a normal applied , but I am not seeing it either , except in the Material specification Dialog preview , in 3D it does not have the Map applied it appears, ie no texture/woodgrain though.

Sizing is wrong too depending on size of siding......for the texture it shows 9 boards in a 32x32" texture , which is about 3 1/2 " per board..... not one I have ever seen.

image.thumb.png.675a0dfa309175ad1c2480166fd9149f.png

Just now, solver said:

From the Residential Template.

ct1.thumb.jpg.dd2d14b53446aecf060a030d983cf277.jpg

Yep , I was surprised they are all really a White siding with a Blended Colour....

my 54" x 54" texture size above was to simulate 6" siding...it is 32x32 standard size which is why I thought it was wrong... even a double siding is not that size (7" Double?), that I have seen, but possible I guess, milled from a 1x8

Just now, CJSpud said:

Got it .... someone from Chief may have to chime in for an explanation.

I upsized it to see if it would effect the Texture but it didn't for me, it would appear for Rich and I the Normal Map isn't working? ie siding is smooth.

we can try and get the Content team to have a look Monday.....

@Chief_Content

I turned the issue into tech and they are looking into it.  They had asked for the plan I was using but told them it was just from a stock default new plan with a 6" siding wall.  I went ahead and made the plan and sent it in so it will be interesting to see whats going on with this.

I tried it using the out of box residential template, everything looks perfect.

Maybe you guys should be using a Mac :)

I like that there's only one material that uses "Blend with Texture" for the color. Makes much more sense than having 6 or so colors to choose from, that usually had to be modified anyway.

siding.thumb.png.14b20281ee69ddf41c100e66cbf0130b.png

On 3/10/2019 at 12:33 PM, Kbird1 said:

Sizing is wrong too depending on size of siding......for the texture it shows 9 boards in a 32x32" texture , which is about 3 1/2 " per board..... not one I have ever seen.

Vinyl siding called "Double 4" which is two 4" planks per panel is very common here.

On 3/10/2019 at 1:02 AM, Rich_Winsor said:

Don't know what to say Chad, but your image

is showing a wood grain texture that isn't the

default for Siding 6. Have you applied a bump

or normal map to your siding? BTW, zooming

in or out doesn't change anything on my end.

Image3.png

That's what I thought and was getting too , but looking at Chris's post above I realised that my Siding6 , was actually Siding6-2 and was using Gray3 Siding as the Siding , not LapSiding, as the material ( x10 hold over?) but If I use the Residential Template,plan file it uses LapSiding by default, and to me it does look like Vinyl Siding , not Wood.

If my Wood siding came looking like this I'd send it back ! ......

image.thumb.png.6e5f200fa8233341c4a5b8cdabb806b5.png

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Mick, so what steps we would take to get the siding corrected to be the right texture? Is there something that needs to be deleted because it was migrated from X10 or?

This Texture does appear to be badly sized or something as the "Groove" doesn't appear to match Boards ,(or anything) if you like the textured woodgrain look I would try the Certainteed or Hardi Lap Siding in the Manufacturer's library instead , and apply the texture to the bump map as well if you want too.

M.

1 minute ago, glennw said:

Is everyone using the same wall - from the library - called "Wall, Siding-6 using the Lap Siding material?

No it appears Rich and I had Lapsiding - Gray3 in our Wall definitions from X9 or 10 Originally .......

I heard back from tech support.  They recommended I go into X11 data and rename template folder "templateOLD".  Once I did that and shut down chief and restarted I had the siding correct itself.  I guess chief recreates a brand new fresh templates folder and it has the correct images.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, solver said:

Did anyone notice my comment way above that it's the Normal Map that is the problem.

I hadn't really looked into it .....but the issue is the Normal Map has been made correctly ie it is 8 boards x 4" each per the Pattern tab for a 32"x32" texture but if you look at the Texture ( not the normal ) it is 9 Boards in 32", hence it not lining up with the Normal. So after a bit of splicing and dicing in Paint I made a 9 Board Normal and set the Texture to 36x36" and it looks much better.....might look better if someone made a "real" normal with 9 Boards as I don't have Photoshop , but what I made is below, if you want to try it.

Old normal   image.thumb.png.c264a4bc382fc2427bfe92b21a111425.png  The 32" Texture image.thumb.jpeg.14a2055c19b2e54c50274819935792a9.jpeg   New 9 Board NormalLapSiding_normal_CAAB_MHD.thumb.png.484f128352871cc77aa0bd40cddb481e.png

@Chief_Content

image.thumb.png.ebc845024cad0136d862b85ce67de2b5.png

M.

I heard back from tech support.  They recommended I go into X11 data and rename template folder "templateOLD".  Once I did that and shut down chief and restarted I had the siding correct itself.  I guess chief recreates a brand new fresh templates folder and it has the correct images.

We install new templates (and lots of other things) whenever you install or update the program.  These files get installed with the program executable in your system folders unless you choose to install it somewhere else.  When you first run the program, we will copy these files into your user data folder but only when they are not already there. 

If you migrate your templates from an earlier version or if you have previously installed the program, you may not have the latest versions of these files.  If you want to make sure you are using the most current version, you can always rename your user data folder and when you next run the program it will copy the newest versions from the install folder.

Please be sure to always backup and keep your own custom templates in a safe place.  You don't want to accidentally delete them and have to rebuild them.

If you are having any problems, please feel free to contact tech support for additional help.

I believe the content team has already corrected the problem with the incorrect normal map.

If you are still seeing the problems in any or our template files, you should try updating them by renaming your templates folder in your user data folder.

If you are seeing any problems with the materials in the core libraries, you should try updating these by using the Update Library Catalog tool from the Library menu.

If you find any additional problems after you have updated your templates and core libraries, you should report them to our technical support team the same way you would report any other program bugs.

51 minutes ago, Dermot said:

I believe the content team has already corrected the problem with the incorrect normal map.

If you are still seeing the problems in any or our template files, you should try updating them by renaming your templates folder in your user data folder.

If you are seeing any problems with the materials in the core libraries, you should try updating these by using the Update Library Catalog tool from the Library menu.

If you find any additional problems after you have updated your templates and core libraries, you should report them to our technical support team the same way you would report any other program bugs.

Hi Dermot, I clean installed X11 with the Public Release Last week , and the problem is still there as I found last night, looking a bit further, this particular material used as the default Siding in the Residental Template in Siding6 Walls is NOT in the Library, (if you try to change it, it leads you to the White Siding in the library) and it uses the Normal from the TemplateTextures.zip , not the corrected one  in the Textures Folder.

Switch the Default Siding6 to thr Blue Lap Siding in the Library and all is well again as the new normal and texture have been resized as noted...

not sure why at 7 1/2 boards though? ( that would make the siding 3 3/4"per board not 4" for 8 boards for the pattern to show 8 boards would it?)

I clean installed X11...

I suspect that you did not.  If all you did was uninstall the program and then reinstall it, then technically you did not do a "clean" install.  Uninstalling the program does not remove any data from your user data folder.  Your templates and associated textures/maps are saved in the user data folder.  The only way to get the updated templates and textures are to rename or delete the templates folder in your user data folder.

Also, the siding texture is actually white but the material blends it with the color blue to get blue siding.

And I will remind everyone, if you find any additional problems after you have updated your templates and core libraries, you should report them to our technical support team the same way you would report any other program bugs.

8 minutes ago, Dermot said:

I suspect that you did not. 

Possibly..... but I renamed the Data Folder before reinstalling , and moving some of my Folders and Files back into it afterwards, the Residental Template I used last night was from the Clean Templates Folder though as I specifically saved the Folder for that reason ie a clean backup Copy of the OOB Templates.

My TemplateTextures.zip File could be an old one from previously I guess? but I think the Template's Wall definition Material is pointing to the wrong material ie a generic Lap Siding....not the Blue Lap Siding in the Library so maybe the wall definition was made before the White Siding got turned into all the coloured Siding by the Content Team by Blending for example?