Slow during layout

paulchoate

Lately when I'm in layout my computers (both desktop & laptop) slow down to the point I have to wait 5-15 seconds for the computer to process everything I do. Even moving a text box can cause a 5 or 10 second delay.  Doesn't sound like much but when it happens on every single process it adds up quickly. Any suggestions?

Interesting I am experiencing the same on lay outs.  Moving an elevation, plan or image seems to hang.  Change I noticed 30 days or so ago.  I have had a couple of window updates, these may be the cause.  I don't believe Chief has done any updates to X10.  Done complete shut downs and restarted clean and still have the slowness.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, javatom said:

Well, I guess that's your problem.  Try to get rid of unnecessary items.

I got rid of an old CAD file I imported that I used as a CAD detail. Getting rid of that detail reduced my plan file from about 45,000 KB to 38,000 KB. The layout file is 16,800 KB.  No change in performance though.  I do have two plans linked to the layout (one of the as-built house and one of the remodeled house)...could this be the issue? I use the as-built house plan on a couple of pages in the layout to show what the house  looks like now: floor plan views, an elevation or two and a rendering or two. Almost all of my views (elevations and perspective overviews) in the layout are "Live View" but I only have them update when I manually update them so the live views shouldn't be the issue. This thing is running as slow as molasses...it's killing me: every move I do in layout takes 5-10 seconds for the computer to process. My drivers are up to date. It's gotta be something in the layout of plan file that is causing this. By the way, I always have the plan and layout file open at the same time.

19 hours ago, mmeadow said:

Interesting I am experiencing the same on lay outs.  Moving an elevation, plan or image seems to hang.  Change I noticed 30 days or so ago.  I have had a couple of window updates, these may be the cause.  I don't believe Chief has done any updates to X10.  Done complete shut downs and restarted clean and still have the slowness.

Any lick in resolving the problem?

I use plot lines for elevations, never live view.  If you have a 3d image you can use live view if you check "update on demand".  PDF files imported into a layout are usually a problem.  I even try to not use jpeg images.  Two plan files feeding into one layout is alright.  Another thing that will slow everything down is a 3d live image that is water color and line style overlay.  It takes a while to rebuild the image.  Another thing to check is extraneous items that have nothing to do with plans.  Toasters, wall art, even furniture.  Delete it all unless you really need it.  Check the face count of items you have placed in the plan.  Just as an example, one washing machine may have 300 face count and another one may have 2000.  All these things add up.

15 minutes ago, javatom said:

I use plot lines for elevations, never live view.  If you have a 3d image you can use live view if you check "update on demand".  PDF files imported into a layout are usually a problem.  I even try to not use jpeg images.  Two plan files feeding into one layout is alright.  Another thing that will slow everything down is a 3d live image that is water color and line style overlay.  It takes a while to rebuild the image.  Another thing to check is extraneous items that have nothing to do with plans.  Toasters, wall art, even furniture.  Delete it all unless you really need it.  Check the face count of items you have placed in the plan.  Just as an example, one washing machine may have 300 face count and another one may have 2000.  All these things add up.

Thanks Javatom. I’ll see what happens when I delete the furniture, plants, tree, fences, etc. I’m wondering if it’s the large number of trees I have (not the first time I’ve put trees in a plan but I put a lot of them). No PDFs but I did import quite a few jpegs.  I’ll look into all of the things you brought up...much appreciated. Question...even if I have the trees, furniture, etc. turned off they are still taxing the system?

Turning the layers off will help with rebuilding the 3d.  If all that extraneous BS is important to you, I guess you will have to live with the speed it is going.  I personally, would delete it all.  I'm starting to realize that you must be a homeowner not a professional designer.  You can get help here either way.  I can always tell an amateur created plan because it has all of these items.  Some professions use some of them but not all.  For instance, an interior designer may have a need for one room to have furniture and objects but they would not care about trees.  A landscape designer would have the trees but not the furniture.  Hopefully you get the idea.

2 hours ago, javatom said:

Turning the layers off will help with rebuilding the 3d.  If all that extraneous BS is important to you, I guess you will have to live with the speed it is going.  I personally, would delete it all.  I'm starting to realize that you must be a homeowner not a professional designer.  You can get help here either way.  I can always tell an amateur created plan because it has all of these items.  Some professions use some of them but not all.  For instance, an interior designer may have a need for one room to have furniture and objects but they would not care about trees.  A landscape designer would have the trees but not the furniture.  Hopefully you get the idea.

Lol...you think I’m a homeowner. I’m a builder/designer who’s smart enough to know that a few trees, plants and furniture in the plan/layout can make or break a render.  These are concepts for homeowners not working plans (yet). A nice kitchen renovation looks good without furniture, plants, etc. but throw those things in and it changes the dynamic in a big way. But what do I know.

It sounds like you have a need for really big files.  When you start created the real plans (for construction), maybe you could use a version without all the extra marketing stuff and it will work faster with that version.

15 hours ago, paulchoate said:

I’m wondering if it’s the large number of trees I have (not the first time I’ve put trees in a plan but I put a lot of them).

Make a Save As Plan and Layout and delete ALL the Plants and see what happens , I also have had a few slow plans/layouts lately once they were added it seems. I was doing same as you ...making pretty Pics for a Concept Plan :) of a wooded Lot

(*** X11 is currently slower then X10 for me generally)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 6:43 PM, mmeadow said:

I just uninstalled a windows Update...not something I do Often and the speed is back.....at least for now...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21705-slow-when-changing-reference-plan-file-in-layout/?do=findComment&comment=178986