PBR'ing Without Lights

TheKitchenAbode

If you just detest making endless changes to light and sun settings this technique might be worth taking a look at.

- Make sure to have at least one light in your scene, turn it off to override CA's generic light.

- Toggle the sun to "Off", might also want to change the sun intensity setting to "0" just to make sure.

- Now use the Material Emissive settings level to make surfaces appear lit.

- Start with major surfaces such as ceilings, floors and walls. You can tweak minor materials as needed.

1569291488_NoLightsNoSun2copy.thumb.png.be6c3bcea5bdd90ffb0f54a52f7bb608.png

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2019 at 8:29 AM, TheKitchenAbode said:

If you just detest making endless changes to light and sun settings this technique might be worth taking a look at.

- Make sure to have at least one light in your scene, turn it off to override CA's generic light.

- Toggle the sun to "Off", might also want to change the sun intensity setting to "0" just to make sure.

- Now use the Material Emissive settings level to make surfaces appear lit.

- Start with major surfaces such as ceilings, floors and walls. You can tweak minor materials as needed.

1569291488_NoLightsNoSun2copy.thumb.png.be6c3bcea5bdd90ffb0f54a52f7bb608.png

That looks better than my best Raytrace!

Are you saying there are absolutely no lights or sun in that shot?

Only material emissive properties turned up?

26 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

That looks better than my best Raytrace!

Are you saying there are absolutely no lights or sun in that shot?

Only material emissive properties turned up?

Yes, that is correct no active lights and no sun. Also you don't need to apply emissive to all materials, major surfaces alone will likely do the trick. In that scene I believe only the ceiling, walls, floor, trim and counter top were adjusted. I used very low numbers, in most cases around 0.02. In general the larger the surface the lower the number. Worth a try.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CARMELHILL said:

just curious. Does the PBR use the CPU or the video card? I'm upgrading to a new rig when the new AMD Threadripper comes out this fall.

It is GPU based so your graphics card is the most important component for PBR. I use a GTX 1060 and most PBR's will run in 5 - 15 seconds. Times will vary depending on the number of lights, number of surfaces and the surface properties.