VIDEO Lesson: Brick Sills in X11

SNestor

You can also use the stacked molding to show the window with a bottom casing.

Make a stacked molding to represent the sill and the casing above.

When you use the stacked molding, you can apply the casing material to the top molding and the sill material to the lower molding.

Here is a quick one - the bottom casing is part of the the stacked sill molding.

I was just in the process of using the stacked molding to get the lower casing when Eric replied.

New Image_103.jpg

31 minutes ago, glennw said:

You can also use the stacked molding to show the window with a bottom casing.

Make a stacked molding to represent the sill and the casing above.

When you use the stacked molding, you can apply the casing material to the top molding and the sill material to the lower molding.

Here is a quick one - the bottom casing is part of the the stacked sill molding.

I was just in the process of using the stacked molding to get the lower casing when Eric replied.

New Image_103.jpg

Yep...that works.  But...talk about time consuming.  What if you had 10 windows to do...different widths and heights. You'd be a molding expert by the time your we're done.

It would be better if Chief just "fixed" this little mistake...

1 hour ago, solver said:

In camera view, you can select a molding from the library and apply it directly to the window.

Casing, lintel and sill will accept a molding -- no need to open the dialog box.

Also, no need to hit Clear when applying a new molding via the dialog box, as replace is implied.

And with X11 and Stacked Molding Profiles, you can apply different colors to the parts of the profile, so where I've shown red, this could be a mortar color, or just a match to the wall brick.

ct1.thumb.jpg.e7bd21043112379d886183d2d2dec44e.jpg

Eric...you can't "stack" moldings in the "Sill" DBX...so no way to paint them different colors.  If you use a molding line you can stack moldings and also have the benefit of being able to paint each component a unique color...but, not in the window "sill" DBX which only allows a single molding component.

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Yep...that works.  But...talk about time consuming.  What if you had 10 windows to do...different widths and heights. You'd be a molding expert by the time your we're done.

Steve,

You only need to do 1 stacked molding and save it to the library.

Once it is saved to the library you can apply it to any size window, no matter the width or height. 

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

If you use a molding line you can stack moldings and also have the benefit of being able to paint each component a unique color...but, not in the window "sill" DBX which only allows a single molding component.

Ah...., but that single molding component can be a stacked molding from the library.

And as Eric says, each molding component can have a different material applied because each molding making up the stacked molding  is listed separately in the Materials panel of the window dbx.

Here is a video "correction" that shows how to use "stacked moldings" and assign different materials to each component.  

Thanks Eric...and Glenn.  Stacked Moldings are a powerful tool...that I wish I had know about a little sooner. Not sure how I missed that one...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SNestor said:

Here is a video "correction" that shows how to use "stacked moldings" and assign different materials to each component.  

Thanks Eric...and Glenn.  Stacked Moldings are a powerful tool...that I wish I had know about a little sooner. Not sure how I missed that one...

You need a YouTube channel. 

I will subscribe. 

Great video. You cut to the chase which is appreciated. 

Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Michael_Gia said:

You need a YouTube channel. 

I will subscribe. 

Great video. You cut to the chase which is appreciated. 

Thanks. 

YouTube channel is listed in my signature...

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

the real question is 21 versions in why the heck doesn't Chief have a simple brick sill and header option built in with a few options for sill profiles.. this is insane to have to do !

I’ve thought the same thing since I purchased the software...version X6.  But...I also want the stair tool improved drastically.