Rich Text - CAD Style ?

Joe_Carrick

Why is CAD Style so much larger ?

When I use the CAD Style (Check Box in the Rich Text dbx) I get text that's approximately 50% larger than the size would indicate.  This is not true with regular text which doesn't have this option.

I've read the help file description for Rich Text but it doesn't make sense.  If I want Rich Text that's about 9" tall and I use CAD Style then I really need to set the size as 6".  IMO this is a total screw-up.  I prefer to set the size and have it be accurate and CAD Style seems to be something totally wrong.

• Upvote 1

CAD style seems to work fine to me.  You’re using some very generalized statements.  There’s any number of characters you could be measuring, but if you place the capital letter A for your chosen font and then measure the height of that letter, does it not match the height set in your dialog?  Its working as designed for the font I use.

Using Michael's Test above I am seeing the opposite.....

With CAD Style on (Default?)  my capital A is 6" per the defined Text Style setting....

image.thumb.png.5265ac8f93aab60b7cd4194b38a71a40.png

If I uncheck CAD Style it is 4 1/4" and moves UP (note CAD lines)

image.thumb.png.2baa4f40c4bd19ac69379c9a90ebfed0.png

13 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

My question really is:

• Why should it be any different than regular text?
  • Why the differences in the size?

I maybe missing something Joe?  but if CAD Style is On they are both the Same Size for me (As expected)

image.thumb.png.91ea9dcaeb155e4e6416cf37b5b06b24.png

according to the Manual...... Text, Markers Schedules and CallOuts all use CAD Style by default.

and if you don't use CAD Style for Rich Text, it uses the Font's Information , the same as a Word Processor does instead....

( under Character size in Help or Manual )

Sounds like the question is .... Why is the height of a letter (or number) different depending on whether or not there's a check in the CAD Style selection box?  Why is a six (6) height font 6" with the box selected and only 4.25" when it is not.  I guess I am confused to and quite frankly, didn't even no the darn selection option was there.  Why can't a size 6 be a size 6 and be done with it?

7 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

I guess I am confused to and quite frankly, didn't even no the darn selection option was there.  Why can't a size 6 be a size 6 and be done with it?

It's because there are so many different criteria that can be used when sizing fonts.  Look at the height difference between the following characters in even the simplest of fonts...

aA|.' Ñ--__

Now tell me whcih one of those characters should be 6" tall.  That's the challenge and the reason for the CAD Style Font Sizing setting.  Otherwise, Chief uses information stored in the font which can vary a bit depending on the font.

I have always used it with the box checked.  Think I will continue that way.  I am getting to young to totally understand such things.  Thanks.

Speaking of Chief Blueprint, sure would be nice if they could square that font up in its text box ... I think it is still riding a little bit high (not in the middle).  I've used that font too long to change.

My guess is almost all Chief users have the check in the box and never pay attention to that selection option.  I am with you Joe .... why is the option even there if it doesn't yield a true font height when the box is unchecked in Rich text?  Sounds like Michael and Mick understand it ... but I don't.

Basically what CJ and I are saying is that this is a CAD Program and that's the standard which should be used for both Text and Rich Text.  The option to use a non-CAD text sizing convention shouldn't be in a CAD Program.

Actually it's a Drafting Standard - not a CAD Style.

14 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

The option to use a non-CAD text sizing convention shouldn't be in a CAD Program.

My guess is it is there so that we can Import Rich Text from Applications Like Word and Excel and display them at the Font Point Size ( typical of all Word Processors) specified in the Original Document and keep the Formatting associated with the Original Document if we wish too.

The CAD Style is Typically on by default AFAIK for Rich Text per CA being a CAD Program....

M.

Totally disagree Joe.  It's not like we're drafting by hand here.  We're using some pretty complex digital fonts now with some drastically variant characters and heights.  Based on the logic of your previous statement, we probably shouldn't have Rich Text in a CAD program either.  I for one think that having the capability available is great.  Losing capabilities...not so much.

Normal text always uses cad style font sizing and always has.

Rich text can be set to use cad style font sizing or not depending on what you are using it for.  If you are trying to match normal text, you probably want to use cad style sizing.  If you are trying to match some other program that doesn't use cad style sizing, then you might want to turn it off.  We put this in specifically for when you copy rich text in from some other application and you want the sizing and formatting to match.

56 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

My guess is it is there so that we can Import Rich Text from Applications Like Word and Excel and display them at the Font Point Size ( typical of all Word Processors) specified in the Original Document and keep the Formatting associated with the Original Document if we wish too.

The CAD Style is Typically on by default AFAIK for Rich Text per CA being a CAD Program....

M.

Yes, I can see that.  I avoid importing from Word, Excel, etc.  I typically only import images (bmp, jpg, pdf) and my pdf application (Nuance PDF Advanced) can convert pdf's to those other formats any time I need to do so.