Pony Wall Layers in exposed basement

CElder

19 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Whoa!  That's new to me.  Looks like that default is actually view specific (i.e. that same method can be used with Plan Views and not just layout boxes).  Thanks Perry.  It might not have been your video, but if I could give you 3 or 4 points for bringing it up, I would. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Whoa!  That's new to me.  Looks like that default is actually view specific (i.e. that same method can be used with Plan Views and not just layout boxes).  Thanks Perry.  It might not have been your video, but if I could give you 3 or 4 points for bringing it up, I would. 

for me every now and then I go back and watch the old videos of things I forgot about

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, the main point of the video Perry posted a link to is that if you have Display In Plan View for your pony wall set to Default, that layout box (and Plan View now) will remember the Pony Wall Default setting for Display In Plan View as it was when the Plan View was last saved or when the Layout Box was sent to layout.  Super great tip.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

for me every now and then I go back and watch the old videos of things I forgot about

Wow P.,  great find,  I too never knew this.

BTW,  I wonder if this applies for other defaults......  i.e. whether in one view the framing will show as lines and in another they show as lumber.....  I bet that is the case.....  

nice job P.

• Upvote 1

Just now, dshall said:

Wow P.,  great find,  I too never knew this.

BTW,  I wonder if this applies for other defaults......  i.e. whether in one view the framing will show as lines and in another they show as lumber.....  I bet that is the case.....  

nice job P.

IOW,  are there other hidden features that can be VIEW SPECIFIC as Michael has noted.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dshall said:

IOW,  are there other hidden features that can be VIEW SPECIFIC as Michael has noted.

Tested your theory and it doesn't work for the framing display.  The only setting I knew of that was kinda like this prior to knowing out the pony wall display was CAD Defaults.  That one is slightly different though and can't have multiple settings on the same floor in plan view.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Correct.  Not very refined and there are a lot of forks in the road depending on the design, but here's a quick example...

Foundation Example.plan

In fact, depending on the situation, I might even build that with 3 different floors where floor zero is any mono slabs, floor 1 is stemwalls and maybe some framed walls, and floor 2 is all framed walls. 

Thanks for posting that foundation plan example Michael.  I get it now. For me it's a bit weird to draw the foundation plan on level zero...and the basement floor plan on level 1...and then, the first floor plan on level 2.  But...it does allow for you to send the plans correctly to layout and show the layers needed for each plan. 

Very creative...thanks again.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Thanks Perry...that was eye opening.  And...that will save me a ton of work!

35 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, the main point of the video Perry posted a link to is that if you have Display In Plan View for your pony wall set to Default, that layout box (and Plan View now) will remember the Pony Wall Default setting for Display In Plan View as it was when the Plan View was last saved or when the Layout Box was sent to layout.  Super great tip.

Yes...I tested.  You can create unique plan views that show just the "foundation"...and another that shows the frame wall on top of the stem walls.  Wooo!  Love it.  

This is such a common building practice where I live in Indiana. Many developers here in Hamilton County create lots that are "daylight" basement type lots...where you would have a pony wall along the rear wall...and maybe up the sides.  The builders love them because they can offer finished area's in the lower level that look and feel much like the main level.  Very common...and now, because of the genius that is this forum...much easier for me to draw. 

Thanks everyone...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, solver said:

I wonder if the OP will ever see this?

Well Maybe he doesn't "work"  on weekends.......  or even look at CA ... ( that ain't right ! :) )   only been 22hrs so far..... just means come Monday he well see all 50 posts :)

I'm finally catching up - reading/watching all of your great examples!  I do work weekends, unfortunately, but I had to set aside the job this situation applies to to finish up some revisions for a different job we need to get started next week.

I was going to use SNestor's work around with a filled polyline covering the actual wall but the video DRAWZILLA shared was AH-mazing!!  I'm new to CA after using an AutoCAD architectural product for 15 years.  I never used it correctly, drew all my elevations line by line so I never had the capability of using the 3D features.  I chose CA because it's specific to custom home design and I want to learn to use it as properly as possible to give our customers the 3D preview experience that has become more and more the norm.

This forum is SO helpful to an "old" newbie trying to teach HERself a new trick!! (Guess I should put up a profile pic so as to avoid confusion with my very unisex name! ;))

Thanks again to everyone who joined in the discussion!  Looks like we all learned something new today!