Pony Wall Layers in exposed basement

CElder

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong...

I often have a situation where I have a partial exposure in one area of my basement so I set the foundation in that area as a pony wall with 8" foundation at the bottom half and 2x4 exterior framing at the top.  My plans require a separate Foundation page and Basement Framing page so I have set up layer sets for each so that only what I want showing on each page will show up when I transfer to layout.

Here's my dilemma...  How do I get only the 8" concrete wall to show in my foundation layer set and not the framing?  I see I can change the view within the wall type setting but I want one page to show the framing and the other not to so it doesn't seem to work properly when I do it that way.

I'm very new to Chief so am open to suggestions if there is a better way to get the two separate page views.

Use a CAD polyline with a fill for your foundation plan view and put this CAD polyline on a unique layer that you can turn on/off depending on the view you are sending to Layout.  

I think this is the only way to accomplish this task until Chief gives us a solution.  

There is a set of plans that Joey Martin did that Chief has on their "examples" page...Joey does a lot of basements.  You might be able to see what he did by looking at this plan set.

To me, this seems like the ideal situation to use "Saved Plan Views" for. 

For the basement plan, make sure the framed walls (upper pony wall) is the one displayed and save that view as something like:  Basement Floor Plan - Framed Upper (or something shorter/sweeter to your liking).  Send that view to layout and all you should see is the framed walls (unless your basement has a mix of pony walls (framed and concrete) and just concrete only.

For your foundation plan, make the needed pony wall display option change in the wall spec dbx and then do a save as for this view and give it a name such as Foundation Plan - Concrete Lower (or whatever you like).

WallSpec-PonyWallDisplayOptions.thumb.JPG.b609c5893aaecb5c10dd307711e5f628.JPG          BsmtWallUpperDisplayed.thumb.JPG.7c71fa638ee4678bf939b3d44b91cc41.JPG          FndnkWallLowerDisplayed.thumb.JPG.4aedad1013c290a064e83b8e2672dd25.JPG         

If you wanted to show the upper (framed) pony wall position over layed onto the concrete foundation wall, Chief gives us the option to do that.  Unfortunately, we do not have control over the line style if you wanted to used a dashed line rather than the default solid line (which can't be changed).

MainLayerLineTypeNotWorking.thumb.JPG.ef46581321e06fe1ab869b50ceee1800.JPG

I've just started using saved plan views and really loving them.  Not sure why I didn't get started when they were introduced in X10.  Hopefully I didn't miss what you were wanting to do.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

To me, this seems like the ideal situation to use "Saved Plan Views" for. 

For the basement plan, make sure the framed walls (upper pony wall) is the one displayed and save that view as something like:  Basement Floor Plan - Framed Upper (or something shorter/sweeter to your liking).  Send that view to layout and all you should see is the framed walls (unless your basement has a mix of pony walls (framed and concrete) and just concrete only.

For your foundation plan, make the needed pony wall display option change in the wall spec dbx and then do a save as for this view and give it a name such as Foundation Plan - Concrete Lower (or whatever you like).

WallSpec-PonyWallDisplayOptions.thumb.JPG.b609c5893aaecb5c10dd307711e5f628.JPG          BsmtWallUpperDisplayed.thumb.JPG.7c71fa638ee4678bf939b3d44b91cc41.JPG          FndnkWallLowerDisplayed.thumb.JPG.4aedad1013c290a064e83b8e2672dd25.JPG         

If you wanted to show the upper (framed) pony wall position over layed onto the concrete foundation wall, Chief gives us the option to do that.  Unfortunately, we do not have control over the line style if you wanted to used a dashed line rather than the default solid line (which can't be changed).

MainLayerLineTypeNotWorking.thumb.JPG.ef46581321e06fe1ab869b50ceee1800.JPG

I've just started using saved plan views and really loving them.  Not sure why I didn't get started when they were introduced in X10.  Hopefully I didn't miss what you were wanting to do.

Curt, can you do that without a new Layer Set for the new Plan View?

1 hour ago, CJSpud said:

Larry:

I think you would need a 2nd layer set to do that.  Thanks for catching that.

In the 4th Image Curt although you are displaying Main Wall Layers Only, that is not really what you have set, it appears you still have ALL the other Wall types and Layers still on , hence over riding MWLO with Normal Walls, foundation Walls etc etc

Mick:

I guess I had a senior moment as I can't figure out a way to make that upper pony wall main layer line type dashed the way I thought it might work for plan views.  Maybe the only way to show it dashed is with a white dashed polyline sitting on top of it (brought to the front).  Do you see any other way to accomplish that easily?

PonyWall.thumb.JPG.e9ed0cee2231081f6709a728c8248d69.JPG

3 hours ago, CJSpud said:

Mick:

I guess I had a senior moment as I can't figure out a way to make that upper pony wall main layer line type dashed the way I thought it might work for plan views.  Maybe the only way to show it dashed is with a white dashed polyline sitting on top of it (brought to the front).  Do you see any other way to accomplish that easily?

Hi Curt , can you Post your Test Plan so I don't need to reproduce it ? 

I'll need to re-read the post above too , to make sure we are talking about the same thing ...

M.

I experimented with this to see if it could be controlled by "plan views".  I don't think you can.  

Also, can someone explain to me why when I have selected "upper wall"...the upper wall does not show.  I get this dashed line showing the inner line of the upper pony wall.   

1702159238_FoundationPonyWall1.thumb.png.765850a290996f8a6302a75eab634996.png

I don't think plan views control how pony walls are displayed...if someone thinks they do...please post something we can learn from.  I think my video shows/explains what the OP wants to accomplish...

13 hours ago, CJSpud said:

Mick:

Apparently it wasn't a Senior moment :)  I think MWLO uses a hard-coded Solid Black line.

I maybe wrong Curt?  but I think if you only have Main Wall layer on then CA uses a Solid Black line , overriding our Wall Def. settings , if you turn on Wall Layers as well you can get the dashed lines though.... if they are set up the Wall Definition as such.

image.thumb.png.53c0a2747c7cfa6708eee639084219b3.png

image.thumb.png.24257e46353e1daee0fcfdcdc77ec226.png

12 hours ago, SNestor said:

I don't think plan views control how pony walls are displayed...if someone thinks they do...please post something we can learn from.  I think my video shows/explains what the OP wants to accomplish...

Each Plan View needs a unique Layer Set or they will simply show the changes made to their shared Layer Set. Did you create a new, unique, Layer Set for each Plan View with the items you want to display? Or does each Foundation Plan View share the same Layer set? If the latter is true you will see the behavior you are seeing... Create a new Layer Set for each Plan View and see if the helps...

Also I believe you could create unique wall types to displayed/not display pony wall views in each Layer Set associated with each Plan View. Either way without a unique Layer Set (and perhaps a unique wall type) there's no chance of achieving what you're after...

Steve can you post that plan please?

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Each Plan View needs a unique Layer Set or they will simply show the changes made to their shared Layer Set. Did you create a new, unique, Layer Set for each Plan View with the items you want to display? Or does each Foundation Plan View share the same Layer set? If the latter is true you will see the behavior you are seeing... Create a new Layer Set for each Plan View and see if the helps...

Also I believe you could create unique wall types to displayed/not display pony wall views in each Layer Set associated with each Plan View. Either way without a unique Layer Set (and perhaps a unique wall type) there's no chance of achieving what you're after...

Yea...I realized after posting that I had not created a unique layer set.  I’m still not sure that you can control the pony wall display with a layer set.  More exploration required...

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Larry here is the plan...I played around with it, created unique layers for each plan view.  However, plan views do not control the wall you see in a pony wall.  I'm not sure how to accomplish this...so, if someone knows...please post an explanation.  Thanks.

Foundation Pony Wall Plan.plan

Here's another option...

Don't use pony walls.  Instead, use foundation walls on the floor below.  Using pony walls for foundation walls has all sorts of little problems.  The alternatives have challenges of their own though so I'd say there's no perfect answer.  It would definitely be nice if we could control pony wall display on a view by view basis though.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Here's another option...

Don't use pony walls.  Instead, use foundation walls on the floor below.  Using pony walls for foundation walls has all sorts of little problems.  The alternatives have challenges of their own though so I'd say there's no perfect answer.  It would definitely be nice if we could control pony wall display on a view by view basis though.

Good suggestions Michael...but, how does this help when you want to create a building or wall section?  

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Yea...I realized after posting that I had not created a unique layer set.  I’m still not sure that you can control the pony wall display with a layer set.  More exploration required...

I played a bit with it when looking at Curt's question above and do not think it is possible to control the Pony Wall view with any of the current View Settings or Layersets etc we can create

So sending to Layout Twice or from two different Plan Versions is likely the easiest way.

M.

8 minutes ago, solver said:

For a wall like this, you might put the concrete part on the floor below the framed part?

ct1.thumb.jpg.80c172f139b81bd5587ae61fd83b23b3.jpg

Correct.  Not very refined and there are a lot of forks in the road depending on the design, but here's a quick example...

Foundation Example.plan

In fact, depending on the situation, I might even build that with 3 different floors where floor zero is any mono slabs, floor 1 is stemwalls and maybe some framed walls, and floor 2 is all framed walls. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Here's another option...

Yeah illustrated that in the video above but maybe not that much help...??