The Shelf Ceiling Challenge......

dshall

9 minutes ago, kMoquin said:

Here you go.

I just went in to the dbx for the room and deleted all entries for the ceiling finish and ceiling structure.

Capture.jpg

LEO PLAN 5J junk FOR CT A.plan

Okay,  but suppose I wanted a SLOPE CEILING on the roof

2 minutes ago, solver said:

ct1.thumb.jpg.4b343a0f792f5ad5f7760d25785968ec.jpg

I cheated and changed the wall definition and used a ceiling plane to cap it -- but it sure looks better.

thanks Eric,  would you post your plan?

Hey Eric,  your solution is probably the best,  however you did change the default height of a wall and I wish you did not have to move my layers....  I think CA can do a better job with this.....  1857671943_ScreenShot2019-03-06at11_56_55AM.thumb.png.1ba78a689ab150f1f5b671377cf8f77f.png

2 hours ago, dshall said:

I suppose the solution for me would be able to use this SHELF CEILING tool and it would work whether is was under a roof or not under a roof.

Scott - Just wondering...why are you building the fireplace and hearth the way you are?  I would have just used P-Solids and called it a day.  Is this an experiment?

I say just cap it with a ceiling plane that does not use the room ceiling finish and make sure your roof plane also does not use the room ceiling finish (if you need a finish on that).  Should be no reason to adjust the wall settings at all.  Also, you could consider just capping it with a landing for the same affect.

15 hours ago, SNestor said:

Scott - Just wondering...why are you building the fireplace and hearth the way you are?  I would have just used P-Solids and called it a day.  Is this an experiment?

model it like build it...  it is not an experiment

8 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I say just cap it with a ceiling plane that does not use the room ceiling finish and make sure your roof plane also does not use the room ceiling finish (if you need a finish on that.  Should be no reason to adjust the wall settings at all.  Also, you could consider just capping it with a landing for the same affect.

I could not get any of those methods to work.

1 hour ago, dshall said:

model it like build it...  it is not an experiment

Why?  What is the benefit to modeling like you "build it" if it takes all day to accomplish the task? Obviously, Chief isn't helping you out with this one...

Is there something you are giving your client from this process...like a list of materials or something.  

I'm not trying to be a smart ass...I'm asking for my own benefit and to learn.  Is this something your clients expect from you?

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Why?  What is the benefit to modeling like you "build it" if it takes all day to accomplish the task? Obviously, Chief isn't helping you out with this one...

Is there something you are giving your client from this process...like a list of materials or something.  

I'm not trying to be a smart ass...I'm asking for my own benefit and to learn.  Is this something your clients expect from you?

I did spend a lot of time trying to do this with walls,  it would of been much faster with PSOLIDS like you suggested.  If the SHELF CEILING worked as sat think it should,  it would be quicker for me ,  plus any section thru would show the framing materials....  also IF I used material lists,  this material would be included.

No worries though,  I am moving on.

13 minutes ago, dshall said:

I did spend a lot of time trying to do this with walls,  it would of been much faster with PSOLIDS like you suggested.  If the SHELF CEILING worked as sat think it should,  it would be quicker for me ,  plus any section thru would show the framing materials....  also IF I used material lists,  this material would be included.

No worries though,  I am moving on.

Don't move on yet...I did a video.  Also, attached a plan.  Maybe it will help you...not sure I did exactly what you were looking for...but, I did get the shelf ceiling to work.  But...it takes effort.  If I was getting paid to to this...I'd reach for the P-Solid tool.  

Heres is a video related to the attached plan...Scott Hall Shelf Ceiling .plan

Good thread...Thanks Scott and thanks for the vid Steve,  I had a shelf ceiling fail the other day, user error most likely, but had to give up and P-Soild my way out of the jamb I created... Maybe I can learn from your vid how to use the tool. I've been trying to discipline myself with Chief and to learn when to hold 'em and learn when to fold 'em when Chief's tools, or my ability with them, just isn't getting the job done.

1 hour ago, solver said:

Added a 2nd floor only above the fireplace. 

ct1.thumb.jpg.eb553485d8ed887afb39dab64eec2018.jpg

Now why didn't I think of that?.... nice job......  I think....  I haven't tried it yet but it should work

I had a play with the stuff many years ago.....  it is a powerful trick.....  and that new floor can be on level 5 if need be......  nuts....  I should get into this some more,  thanks Eric.

23 hours ago, solver said:

Almost. I painted the flooring with the stone, and the wall with the opening disappeared. And there is one other problem that's hard to see in the picture.

Too much going on ...

Eric,  I think I did it.  It is a combination of the CEILING SHELF for hearth and the FLOOR at second floor for fireplace and .......  I needed to be careful with too many layers. (take a look at the extra hearths and how some are good and some aren't.

Thanks for the help.

life is good again!

LEO PLAN 5J junk FOR CT A all good for eric.plan