Best way to save a template plan?

EconBlueprints

I have a folder, and it it is House A and Layout A.  
Now I want to create House A-1 and Layout A-1.  

A-1 will be very similar to A.  All of the exteriors will be identical, just some of the interiors will be different.

How do I save A so that A-1 will be completely independent of A?  I have tried this before using "save as", but whatever I do to the second plan for some reason changes the first plan.  I want the saved plan, and the saved layout to be completely independent of the "Parent" plan and Layout.

Thanks,

Lane

7 minutes ago, EconBlueprints said:

Lane

Maybe fill out your sig some more so we know if you are on mac or windows :)

Save plan A and layout A in documents/project_A

exit CA

in windows explorer:

GoTo documents/ and copy and paste project_A

windows will rename to project_A_1

open your new folder project_A_1 and rename the plan_A and layout_A 

should be good to go

6 minutes ago, EconBlueprints said:

....I have tried this before using "save as", but whatever I do to the second plan for some reason changes the first plan. 

That goes counter to everything the save as function is designed to do and would not know how to get one 'saved as' plan to change another plan. Do something different?

1 hour ago, solver said:

I believe you need to link the new Layout with the new Plan.

ct1.thumb.jpg.37c30c4300ac5e980e00e9c2b742b506.jpg

23 minutes ago, dshall said:

that is the answer,  a save as does create a new plan but you do have to relink to the new layout.

my method does not require this and is much simpler IMO..see above...only thing that needs tweaking is saved plan views with reference files...the reference files need to be changed to the new location. I NEVER use save as.

when copy pasting the root folder the associations are inherent- no plan linking needed.

I almost downvoted...I'm a downvote virgin

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Maybe fill out your sig some more so we know if you are on mac or windows :)

Save plan A and layout A in documents/project_A

exit CA

in windows explorer:

GoTo documents/ and copy and paste project_A

windows will rename to project_A_1

open your new folder project_A_1 and rename the plan_A and layout_A 

should be good to go

If speed is the goal,  I bet I can do it faster than that.  I challenge you to a RELINK RACE.

BTW,  I have a MAC and I do not use windows explorer....  different strokes.......

Well,  I just gave it a go,  I took a layout with 2 files in it,  and used the save as and relinked the two files back to the new layout.  3 minutes 16 seconds......  if I take out the time it took for CA  to do the relinking,  I could of done it in 1:10.  

It sure is taking A LOT MORE TIME to relink files back to layout....  much faster sin X-10.  Hey CA,  please fix this,  thank you.

Just now, dshall said:

hmmmm,  if feels like a goof off Friday.

HA,I woke up this morning thinking it was thursday..DOH! I beat you to my spelling error, haha...I don't write much anymore, that part of my brain is turning to mush.

yes re-linked...I didn't come up with that method, it was shared with me by a long-time user as a standard established some 30 years ago in a CAD program. Avoids potential "forgetting to link" scenarios...I used to do it your way for sure.

8 minutes ago, solver said:

I'm just guessing the the Rene method relies on the layout and plan being in the same folder, or in the same folder structure as the original files, and named the same.

Chief must default to using a relative path rather than an absolute path when the files are in the same folder.

exactly- which is why I put image files or pdfs that are linked in plan into the same folder as the plan and layout file...same as fonts etc.