Real World Experience With The New Multi Ref Sets?

HumbleChief

You are not necessarily using them wrong but you are not really using them the way we designed them to be used either.  The way to turn off a reference is to simply remove it using the delete button.  The way to turn on a reference is to insert a new one. 

The way to avoid constantly turning things on and off is to use a Saved Plan View with them already setup the way you want them.  Switching saved plan views is very fast and easy.  Also, taking advantage of the project browser to manage them should make your life even easier. 

Trying to turn off a reference by switching to the all off layer set is not something I would recommend since you will incur a performance penalty even though you are not drawing anything.  Switching to a blank floor will not be nearly as expensive but still feels like you are subverting the whole point of the reference display.

That said, the idea of adding a display column to temporarily add and remove them is a perfectly reasonable request.  It is probably not something that we will be able to add to X11 though.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Dermot said:

You are not necessarily using them wrong but you are not really using them the way we designed them to be used either.  The way to turn off a reference is to simply remove it using the delete button.  The way to turn on a reference is to insert a new one. 

The way to avoid constantly turning things on and off is to use a Saved Plan View with them already setup the way you want them.  Switching saved plan views is very fast and easy.  Also, taking advantage of the project browser to manage them should make your life even easier. 

Trying to turn off a reference by switching to the all off layer set is not something I would recommend since you will incur a performance penalty even though you are not drawing anything.  Switching to a blank floor will not be nearly as expensive but still feels like you are subverting the whole point of the reference display.

That said, the idea of adding a display column to temporarily add and remove them is a perfectly reasonable request.  It is probably not something that we will be able to add to X11 though.

Thanks Dermot, that challenge in this case is a user who is not fluent in the ways of Chief and am perhaps trying to oversimplify things for his use.

"The way to turn off a reference is to simply remove it using the delete button.  The way to turn on a reference is to insert a new one." Perhaps the feature is designed to work this way but it just seems to a be a lot of effort if changes are needed/wanted.

I think different plan views is the only real solution for what I am asking for - still think the feature request is reasonable as you've alluded to.