Computer Upgrade System Reviews & Critiques

parkwest

I have narrowed my choice down to this system and I am looking for critiques and/or suggestions prior to placing my order:

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX w/ Liquid Cool Gaming PC - Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD+3TB HDD, 11GB GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 6x USB 3.1, HDMI, WiFi, Win 10 Home 64-Bit - SFG9EX, 850W PSU

Do you think this will run chief okay for the foreseeable future?

30 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Is SATA a dealbreaker, in your opinion?

Given the rest of your spec a firm yes!

On my current PC I moved to an NVMe SSD for boot/programs and regular SATA SSD for the 4TB of slower storage.   The only place I used HDD these days is on my home servers for CCTV (where HDD is king due to the huge writes) and my backups due to the storage required (10TB+).

5 minutes ago, parkwest said:

From what I am reading it looks like if you want an HDD for storage, along with an SSD, you need to have SATA.

https://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/storage-hardware/nvme-vs-sata-comparison.html

I have PCs with a mix of SATA HDDs, SATA SSDs and NVMe SSDs (using motherboard connectors or via PCIe add on cards)

If your planned motherboard doesn't have fittings on it directly (odd these days), then a $25 - $35 PCIe card will provide the same.  It's only very old motherboards where BIOS support may be an issue.

4 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Thank you Simon!!!  I appreciate your expertise in computers.  Nice to know I can upgrade, if necessary.

I would be very surprised if a modern MBoard didn't have all the options for various HHD interfaces - AND would very hesitant to purchase one that didn't.

To me one of the reason for the purchase of a computer is to "run chief okay for the foreseeable future," and buying a computer that doesn't have the most modern, fastest currently available HDD interface? Not for me...   

On 3/3/2019 at 9:29 AM, Smn842 said:

That's a good spec, the only thing I would check is to ensure the SSD is NVMe and not SATA as that makes a big difference to SSD performance.

Completely agree , it seems to have ONE m2 slot ( probably a combo nvme/sata) port , so you would need a SATA me Riser card to reuse the 1TB drive along with a much faster (4x) Samsung 970 EVO 500GB or 1TB  ......I use the 500GB for Programs and OS. If you buy direct they maybe able to do it for you? , Don't forget about Local Stores too...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1439214-REG/cyberpowerpc_sfg9ex_syber_forti_desktop_computer.html