Text Grid

CUJojo

Standard text allows you to create a basic schedule manually or you can convert an automatic schedule to editable text.  You can also paste in a schedule from excel, or print and excel schedule to pdf and import that.  Would any of those options work for you ?  An example might help.  Also good to know what version of the software you are using.

Edit > Paste Special > Paste As: Rich Text...     Then you can edit within Chief as a Rich Text Chart or Schedule.

Without knowing what type of data you are wanting to display this would be my closest guess for a solution.

Chopsaw,

The row height is handled automatically.

Ie, the text will wrap and make the row taller if it is too wide for the column.

So each row can be a different height.

You can drag the columns to be narrower or wider and the contained text will wrap and change the row height dynamically.

Yes but have you tried Rich Text ?  All the benefits of Rich Text in a Schedule with the exception that it can't start in chief and you are pretty much stuck with the original number of cells.

Even if we had the option of font size in the header line of Schedules and Standard Text charts it would be helpful.

What i am after is simple.  Just want to be able to control the height of the columns.  the table will have the following sample that i have entered in a simple text box, tab delimited.  i control the column width in the grid, but cant seem to control the row height.

ROW 1   ROW1A   ROW 1B  ROW 1C  ROW 1D

ROW 2   ROW2A   ROW 2B  ROW 2C  ROW 2D

ROW 3   ROW3A   ROW 3B  ROW 3C  ROW 3D

Other than adjusting the font size and that automatically making the row height like other apps.  I am not sure there is a solution short of drawing a grid with cad lines.

Any suggestions Glenn ?   Possibly a custom font but you would need someone like Michael for that.

I don't understand why you need to manually control the row height - unless you want different size text on different rows - which you can't do.

The row height is automatically determined by how much the text in the cell needs to wrap.

I just noticed there seems to be a problem with the location of the row grid lines.

New Image_92.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Glenn is that X11 or just your Mac acting up ?

The chart on the Right is Rich Text and a border with 6 cad lines.

Standard and Rich Text Charts.jpg

The right is what i have now... text with cad lines...too much to manage... 

How did you add the grid on the rich text?

8 minutes ago, CUJojo said:

How did you add the grid on the rich text?

Cad lines unfortunately. 

17 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

The chart on the Right is Rich Text and a border with 6 cad lines.

You can add some space below the text with the cut and paste Rich Text method but it looks funny.

I think there are actually a good number of people that share your concern here but it has been that way for so long that it is unlikely too see a change from CA.

If you have a lot of work to be done that way I would contact @Alaskan_Son ( Michael ) about the possibility of a customized font or maybe even a special existing one.

I might even be interested as well if the price was reasonable.

Yes I see what you mean but even that looks conspicuous in a way.

For future reference only post .pdf files when there is a pdf issue.  A .jpg screen capture is preferred on the forum when it is appropriate.

Spaced Chart.JPG

You might consider putting this in as a suggestion as I was messing around in Excel to try something out and realized this feature has been available there for quite some time.

Also you might experiment with a schedule containing a 3D view as it's size can be adjusted and that effects the rest of the formatting for the schedule.

See this thread with the opposite problem :  https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21574-window-and-door-schedule-display/

On 3/3/2019 at 1:30 AM, glennw said:

I just noticed there seems to be a problem with the location of the row grid lines.

New Image_92.jpg

On 3/3/2019 at 2:11 AM, glennw said:

It could be a mac thing.

I get the same problem with the grid lines in X10

Glenn I was able to reproduce this and it seems to be dependent on the height of the text.  Curious as to what yours was set at ?

Chopsaw,

My default text size is 125mm.

And you are correct, the bigger the text, the less of a problem.

The attached pic is using a text size of 1000mm, and there appears to be no problem.

But go down to a text size of 100mm causes the text to overlap the grid.

I will submit a bug report.

1000mm text:

920444153_NewImage_97.thumb.jpg.cd80faccd14b2e9fe9ffe3474f37e7c6.jpg

100mm text:

1095184027_NewImage_98.thumb.jpg.59e10b81b67d01ab2d9b5bd790e386c0.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, glennw said:

I will submit a bug report.

Well isn't that a pickle.  I noticed the problem doing a plot plan schedule with 30" text but default for 1/4" scale is 6" and works fine but then enlarged to 72" also seem to work.  Seems to maybe be a zone, but not the same in metric.  I will do some more testing.