Custom Material Generation with Substance Player

Chief_Content

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 12:47 PM, groupemasella said:

Hey @CADustin

I'm trying to get a 4:1 tile with this pattern, but whenever I select Image input, it turns black and white? What would be the best solution to my problem?

d3d_default_R50C.jpg

download.jpg

Hey sorry for the late reply. 

Unfortunately, the way the tile builder is currently built, any image inputs will be reduced to grayscale/black and white.  Fixing it so colors show is on my todo list, but it wasn't a trivial addition so I'm on hold till I get a chunk of time to drill down into the details so I don't break it.  Sorry!

• 6 months later...
On 2/11/2022 at 11:40 AM, nikiley said:

Hi @CADustin

Using the wood builder file and I'm noticing that the wood grain is oriented incorrectly for the shiplap cut options. Also any chances for some updates on tile layouts in the future? 

Good catch Nikki, I think I broke it adding the Orientation: Vertical/Horizontal controls but it should be fixed now.  Just redownload it and let me know if it's still acting funky.  Speaking of funky, the software we use for ChiefTalk is now adding timestamps to uploaded files so the wood builder will come down as 1888175955_WoodBuilderBeta.sbsar.  I'm asking around how to fix it, but for now any updated files will have crazy big names for a while.

As for tile layouts, I'm always accepting requests.  Everything that gets asked for goes on a document and when I get a window to get them implemented I try to knock out as many as I can.  Layouts are usually the easiest additions so don't be shy and post anything you'd like to see in the builders here on this thread or just email me at dustin@chiefarchitect.com. I haven't had time lately but hopefully this spring I'll get some updates in there.

Thanks @CADustin! I appreciate that you guys update these files and take suggestions on new patterns. 

As for additional tile layouts:

Fish Scale.

Arabesque shape.

Ogee shape.

I have no clue how difficult this would be, but different ratios for the existing Chevron pattern would be nice as well as renaming it "Herringbone".

An actual chevron with the angled ends that come to a point.

Finally, maybe some vertical offset stacking subway options like this...

89d2840a5b6d9629099d03dd600afde5.jpg

• 2 months later...

@CADustin

For the last three or so years, designers within my company have been using Substance Player to create tile and other textures for use in our designs.  Today, one of my coworkers received this email and we’re hoping you can shed some light on what this means for us. 

On September 30, 2022, we are permanently turning off access to all Substance3d.com accounts. With this change, you will no longer have access to content hosted on the website.

Action Item: before September 30, 2022, please login to your Substance3d.com account and download your invoices and, if applicable, any perpetual license keys. Note that your perpetual licenses will continue to work normally, and your license key files will allow you to re-activate the software if needed. However, the Substance Launcher will not be usable anymore.

For more information, please visit our frequently asked questions.

If you have any questions, please contact contact@substance3d.com

Thank you,
The Substance 3D team

Substance, and the Substance logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe in the United States and/or other countries.

Allegorithmic SAS - 3 avenue Julien, 63000 Clermont-Ferrand, France
Please review the
Substance Privacy Policy.

19 hours ago, smaloneymt said:

we’re hoping you can shed some light on what this means for us.

Maybe it has something to do with Adobe's acquisition and the assimilation of all Substance stuff into the Adobe multiverse.

7 hours ago, rlackore said:

Maybe it has something to do with Adobe's acquisition and the assimilation of all Substance stuff into the Adobe multiverse.

It does sound like the Borg have landed....

M.

@smaloneymt

rlackore is right - this is simply the migration to Adobe.  Substance was its own company with its own website/logins.  Now that Adobe has acquired the products, the old site will be retired and people need to move to Adobe's ecosystem.  As you noted from the post, the good news is that if you have a perpetual license (student, etc) on Substance3d.com, you can download the license file along with the version of the software currently posted on Substance3d.com, and you'll be able to install and activate it at any time in the future.

Adobe will continue to develop the Substance software products and new versions from Adobe will not activate with your license from Substance3d.com.  You'll need an Adobe license (subscription)... OR you can buy the products on Steam.  Adobe offers a Substance subscription for about $20/month (and please note that Substance products are NOT included in the Adobe "all products" subscription - yes, I found this out the hard way).  If you buy a product on Steam, you get a perpetual license for the version you buy.  So, for example, if you just want Substance Painter and think the 2022 version is all you'll need for some time, then you can go buy it on Steam for $149 and you'll own the 2022 version forever.  You can buy an upgrade if/when you feel like you need it.  Who knows if/when Adobe will no longer sell the products on Steam but, for now, they are available.

Now, since this post is primarily focused on Substance PLAYER, which is currently free, I asked Adobe if it will continue to be free once the Substance3d.com site is shut down.  I was told that it will.  There will be a new link/page to download it from, but Adobe plans to continue to release Substance Player for free.

As far as I understand it, Tony is spot on.

Still though, when there's any sort of upheaval like this, it's never a bad idea to archive the zip of whatever tools may or may not be disappearing. We won't be able to support someone else's software if they decide to take it down, but usually tools like the player get replaced down the line with something else and if that turns out to be the case, I'll jump on whatever software they provide to keep the builders working if at all possible.

Still hoping for the status quo though, the player turned out to be a great tool. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I realize the Substance Player and Dustin's downloads have been available for awhile, but I just learned about it from Dustin during Chief Academy 2022.  Yesterday I was desperate for a special tile combination and finally took the time to look into this.  Wow, what an incredible tool and so much easier to navigate than I had expected!  In a few minutes I had watched the Chief video on how it works, downloaded the software,  and created a custom marble checkerboard floor for a client's rendering.  My only regret is not taking the time to figure this out sooner!  :)  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dustin, you've done an AWESOME job at this program. Thank you for you help! Something I would like to request for the Tile builder, or maybe you've already figured it out but I can't find it. Being able to do a patterned tile. I've find the way to upload a tile image to the tile and I've put the random seed at zero yet my image is still cut and randomly placed and cut up on the tile. What is the correct way to do this or if not possible yet can you put it on the list to do in the future?1626001494_Screenshot2022-10-28164803.thumb.jpg.8fa2267727339f379089e89710532cd1.jpg

Thanks Jessie, I'm glad you find the tool useful.

For the image input, sadly it's not built to load a picture of an image.  Instead it's for you to load a type of material you'd like your tile to be made out of.  If you want stone, concrete, wood grain, etc. you'd load an image of that material and the tile builder will then slice it up into the available Tile Layout.

I've looked into using images of tiles but since the image is static, and the builders make everything procedurally, I'm unable to make it work together.  Apples and Oranges etc etc.  For things like making seamless premade images, photoshop is the tool we use in house and there's a ton of resources online for taking an image and making it seamless.  If you decide to try this route and run into any headaches, just e mail me at dustin@chiefarchitect.com and I'll get you on the right track...I've made thousands of them.

Tile Builder got a small update today...To get the latest version just download it again from the beginning of this post.

For the 1:1. 2:, Large 2:1, etc Offsetting with the slider worked fine for 1/2 offsets but 1/3 offsets would always have one row out of place, breaking the seamlessness. I upped the count on most of the basic layouts to the lowest common denominator between 2 and 3 so a 1/3 offset and a 1/2 offset should always be seamless.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 11:19 AM, ro81nson said:

I'm also seeing a lot of contractors using Techo-Bloc pavers. They have a great Designers Toolbox available on their website but it would be even better if they collaborated with Chief to get their patterns, styles and materials in the Catalog!

https://www.techo-bloc.com/support/resources/technical-resources/designers-toolbox/

552538819_Techo-BlocDesignersToolbox.thumb.jpg.55fa81a33b984be66066815cd09f20a5.jpg

Did you ever figure out how to get the techo-bloc files into chief?

Sorry for the late reply but I've been busy.  We've reached out to techno bloc earlier this year but haven't heard back yet, but I plan on swinging by the booth at KBIS this year to try and get the ball rolling.  I'll keep you posted.

Till then, I just put up the Masonry and Stone Builder at the top of the post for users to make custom pavers and stone layouts.  I ported over some layouts from the tile builder to make some of the more specific  techo-bloc-ish layouts an option.

Most of the bones of the Masonry and Stone builder are lifted form the tile builder as well so if you're familiar with the tile builder you should hit the ground running with this one.  As always, if you find issues or want something added just hit me here on ChiefTalk and I'll either fix it or get it on the update list.

Have Fun Gang!