Custom Material Generation with Substance Player

Chief_Content

Mine doesn’t crash, but sliding the sliders causes some serious lag.

Reading the crash report you posted, it indicates seg fault which usually happens when a program writes memory out of bounds. It may just mean your computer doesn’t have enough memory. The program may use memory inefficiently. Try restarting your computer and running substance with all othe programs closed to see if it behaves differently.

EDIT: I wrote:

Also, try both the Direct3D render option and the software render option.

However, I just realized you’re using a Mac, so you won’t have a Direct3D option, but maybe OpenGL instead. Or you may not have a choice of renderer. In any case, definitely try it with other programs closed to free up memory.  

Hey Vixen, I'm not very mac savvy but I've seen some problems like this perusing to substance forums for other questions.

This seemed to be the closest thing I've seen to your error...

https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php?topic=5182.0

So try opening the player and going up to Window > Reset layout...I hope the issue is that easy to fix.

Another thing I see sometimes is substance trying to save or work from a restricted folder location.  Maybe try moving the builder.sbsar locations to a place you know is accessible.

If these don't work, let me know and we can keep tracking it down.

Also, Davidstvz, if you're having considerable lag, try reducing the resolution while you design your materials, then when you're ready for export, up-rez them to where you need them.  Above 1024 can be pretty laggy as you shuffle around more and more pixels.

Strange, I've found that if I click a slider and then hold the mouse button down for a moment... after a period of lag the slider becomes responsive in real time.  Before, I was clicking and dragging quickly expecting an immediate response and not getting it.

Reducing output size does not improve this, but increasing output size to the max (4096x4096) makes it worse.

In any case, if I remember to click and hold it's a lot more functional.

Hello!

I just found this program and it is a wonderful asset! I am starting to play around with it and can not figure out how to scale the tile correctly once the tile is in the drawing. For example, I want this tile to be scaled to 12x24 in my drawing, but it is clearly showing as smaller than that - can anyone help with this? Or show me a thread to read up on? Thanks!

Emily

Wall tile creation.png

Wall tile.png

4 minutes ago, solver said:

Have you tried searching Help for scale? Or, opening the material and reviewing the available settings?

Eric,

I have, but I keep getting results opposite of what I am trying to accomplish. I've adjusted the scale under "Texture", but it changes my pattern to 1:1 ratio even with the 12x24 as my scale! I'm not sure if there was a standard size to import created tile at, or if the scaling was done after the files are imported?

5 minutes ago, AngeloInc said:

Eric,

I have, but I keep getting results opposite of what I am trying to accomplish. I've adjusted the scale under "Texture", but it changes my pattern to 1:1 ratio even with the 12x24 as my scale! I'm not sure if there was a standard size to import created tile at, or if the scaling was done after the files are imported?

if you exported it as a 2:1 then imported it into chief that way, make sure when you adjust your size under texture that you have retain aspect ratio checked. otherwise count the number of tiles shown in your texture sourse image and do the math to what it should be and adjust it manually. should work

2 minutes ago, Lakeside-E said:

if you exported it as a 2:1 then imported it into chief that way, make sure when you adjust your size under texture that you have retain aspect ratio checked. otherwise count the number of tiles shown in your texture sourse image and do the math to what it should be and adjust it manually. should work

Understood! I read somewhere about the manual method, but wasn't clear on it! This was the solution I needed - Thank you!

Small update today...

Tile Builder

A lot of folks have had issues with the scale of the raw materials in the tile builder when working with large format tile so now it has a "Material Scale" so if you have large marble hex tile or 2'x4' offset slabs, you can scale the tile material till it looks correct. 

-Each Tile Type has an independent scale slider.

-Scale goes from 0% to 500%, if anyone needs more than that, let me know.

As always if you have any questions or find any bugs let me know here.  To see the updates you'll have to redownload the Tile_Builder.sbs from the first post on this thread.

Hello @CADustin  or anyone else that may know the answer off hand.

Giving the Substance Player Wood Builder a test run today and importing a few of my own images.

It would appear that even with the Parameters set to Random Seed: 0   and Cut: Uncut   my images are getting cut into strips.

Initially I though it was because they were not seamless as I think was noted in a previous comment but it does not seem to matter.

After Random Seeding about 50 times I was able to line up 5 out of 6 strips but never all of them.  Is this a bug ?

Thanks,  Chopsaw

Hey Chopsaw, good catch.  It's a bug.

The "Uncut" wood is kind of a misnomer since, as you saw, there is some vertical offsetting going on that is kind of hard to see unless you catch a knot on a seam or load an external image like you've found out already.  This was added purely to help the wood tile less obviously but I kinda forgot about it when I added the image input to the system a couple years later.  

I'll add it to my todo list.  I'll try to make it so it doesn't slice up image inputs but keeps slicing the wood selections for better tiling.

In the meantime can I ask what you're trying to make in case I can help you out in the meantime?  If you have a seamless wood texture already, are you using the builder just for image manipulation like color/hue/lightness/etc? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CADustin said:

In the meantime can I ask what you're trying to make in case I can help you out in the meantime?  If you have a seamless wood texture already, are you using the builder just for image manipulation like color/hue/lightness/etc? 

Sure, I do a lot of construction with natural materials and finishes.  Wood grain is something that is not accurately presented with existing chief materials.  I thought the builder would be a great way to tweak the image and create maps.  Good wood grain materials are not necessarily seamless on four sides but are more lineal and up to 16' in length with random grain and knots and ideally with matching grain at each end so that it can be tiled rather than stretched if necessary.   It would be great to have a library of North American Species.

• Upvote 1

I'll put the species on my list too...

I'll also look at adding the scale feature from the tile builder to the wood builder as well so you'll have more control over grain size. That one might be tougher to implement though just because the wood builder is wired differently.

Same rules would apply though with texture scaling, larger textures with the same amount of pixels (512, 1024, etc)  You'll lose some detail of the wood when looked at up close, but when looked at from afar, you should be fine with a larger surface area coverage.  Wood we make in-house is usually scaled for indoor use, but I like the idea of having an option to size up for decking, rafters, siding, etc. Maybe a catalog of large format 16' wood mats.

More options are rarely a bad thing.  Thanks for the feedback.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, CADustin said:

I doubt its going anywhere but If we ever move it, we'll be sure to link to where we put it for future reference.  

My man, can we get the bump channel back in the tile builder?....very very valuable for use as a texture source to create a pattern file and then reload the texture source for say a marble tile.

You got it, I'm due for another run at the builders here in a bit, I'll add a pattern generation map to the exportable maps.

The grout controls are already using an edge detect with a static, preset pattern to get the grout thickness so I just gotta run those patterns to a new output, easy peasy.  I just started a big update for a catalog but after that I'll see if I can squeeze in some of the last couple months requests.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll put those on my update list!

There's always updates coming for the builders but it's depends on my current content workload.  When I get caught up, I go back to my list and knock out as many things as I can, so don't be shy with the requests.  I need to know what you guys need.

Sure thing, added to my todo list,

Stone in general is something I'd like to do a big update on when time allows.  Keep posting requests on anything stone related and I'll try to knock as many out as I can when I start the update.