Custom Material Generation with Substance Player

Chief_Content

Yeah they are the same company, and got bought by adobe last year I think, maybe two.

Gang, I updated the wood builder today with some better looking knotty/rustic options and added an image input so you can load your own wood images and slice them into flooring.  ReneRabbitt requested it and I love it.  Let me know if you guys run into any problems with it and I'll look into adding it into the tile builder as well.

-To access it you need to set the Wood_Species to ~Image Input and load an image into the slot at the bottom.

939800105_ImageInput.thumb.png.ae0f61d3dd11ba460fe345bbe9959153.png

-Use seamless textures when using the image input for best results.

4 hours ago, CADustin said:

Let me know if you guys run into any problems with it and I'll look into adding it into the tile builder as well.

Thanks , and please do , looking forward to Playing more with SP now.

M.

In love with the tile builder!!  Thank you so much!  Saved us a lot of time with several of our jobs.  The wood builder works great too; however, the fabric builders through both crash every time we try to open them in Substance Player.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi Dustin,

i have problem to make 24" x 48" Porcelain tile - grout is going too wide when try to fit in room size 16'x16'.

Att. files

i use

1. chief plan - 16'x 16' room

2.tile symbol

3. pic of tile

4. Tile builder setting which i had used

output size of the tile is 2048 x 2048

can you please explain how to fix it.  

also where can i get most updated  tile builder and other builder on the chief talk.

Thank you

16'x16' room Cheif file.plan

16'x16' room.jpg

24x48 tile.calibz

tile builder setting.JPG

Hey Faruk,

You didn't do anything wrong.  With that tile scaled so large, even at 2048, we'll run into some confusing scaling issues...

An 8 tile wide image at 2048 pixels = 256 pixels allotted per tile. 256 pixels across 48" gets us about about 5.3 pixels per inch when the 2:1 tile is at this scale.  Since the maps need a minimum of 3 pixels to form a grout line (one descending to the grout, one for grout, one ascending) your grout comes out to about half an inch wide, which is why you're seeing such chunky lines in Chief.

or

Each tile is 48" wide. 48" x 8 tiles = 384" wide

2048/384 = 5.3 pixels per inch

Sorry if this is confusing.  Also sorry if my math is wrong :)

So...

1)  Until I get a chance to do an update, you can try the max 4096 which will reduce your current grout width in half (about 1/4" wide)

2)  If you can find the specific type of tile you're after and e-mail it to me at dustin@chiefarchitect.com I might have something to help you out in the short term.

3)  For the long term, I've put "Large Format" 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, and 4:1 on my update list for my next pass on the tile builder.  This will set a lower tile count on the image so you'll get more pixels per tile, thus smaller/thinner grout capability.

As for the most recent updates, I just post them on original post in this thread and the following post is where I note the updates.  I usually refresh this thread with an update notification as well.  So if you see me post an update, go ahead and throw away your old version, get the newest version from the first post and check for updates on the second post.

Or just ask me , I'm always poking around this thread.

Can some one help me figure out why when I open Substance Player it's all black? I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice and it doesn't help. It worked just fine for weeks and one day I opened it and it looked like this screen shot. 

Black Substance Player Screen.PNG

Hmmm...Not sure.

Is it only for tile builder or do other builders also show black screen?

I would say try to update your video card drivers and if that doesn't work try opening substance player, and hit F9.  If this works you should see a "Select Substance Engine" pop up, from there you can try a different engine and see if that helps.

More times then not though its just video card drivers.  Let me know how it goes, if it's still broken we can dig a little deeper.

I'm still getting the same black screen. I updated all of my drivers and tried F9 changing substance engines and nothing helped. All of the other builders show the same totally black screen- wood, fabric, etc. I don't know if this helps, but if I click my cursor around where I think the menus are in the upper left, I can get them to show up. It's always worked fine for me and I'm still on the same computer. For the life of me, I can't think of anything else to try. 

Black Substance Player.PNG

Hmmm, it sounds like it's a problem with the player software.

Some folks have had issues with specific panels going black, but I haven't seen anything about the entire thing going dark.

Here's someone that has some black panels that got it fixed, maybe this might work  If not, that forum would be the best place to ask for assistance.

https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,22997.0.html

Let me know if this also is a dead end, and also...

PC or mac?

Video card?

Windows version if PC?

I'll keep poking around and looking for fixes.

• 3 weeks later...

I had actually found the substance3d forum thread you are referring to above before I asked my question here. I followed the steps to clean my registry files, but Substance Player was still black. I just did that whole process over again and still had no luck. The only thing I didn't understand on the substance3d forum thread was the last entry, "this worked fort me - ONLY - if i ALSO uninstalled B2M and deleted Bitmap2Material inside Regedit - Reinstalled Bitmap2Material"  I don't have B2M or Bitmap2Materials files/programs. Should that matter? 

I have a PC with Intel® Core™ i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz and Intel® HD Graphics 5500. I'm running Windows10.

It shouldn't matter, B2M is just another software they make unrelated to what we're doing.

Gotta say, I'm baffled.  My guess is your Intel® HD Graphics 5500 is probably the culprit but I've got no way of verifying it since I don't have a machine with those specs anywhere.  Chief has also had tech related/performance issues with these onboard chip sets.  My hunch is that it's something on their end only because it's a black screen before you even load a file.

At this point I'd say your best bet is to ask for help here...

https://www.substance3d.com/contact/

and mention your specs, maybe intel chipsets are no longer supported?  Maybe an update walled them off?  They would know if anything changed.

Also mention that you had it working before then it just stopped, that might help them narrow it down.

Please let me know if they say anything that helps just in case they deduce that it's something that I can fix for you on my end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 1:16 PM, CADustin said:

ReneRabbitt requested it and I love it

I've been so busy I never got the opportunity t o really thank you. That conversation sent me down a Rabbitt hole and now I'm completely addicted to Substance Alchemist, and your tile builder and wood builder work quite well with Alchemist. Great job!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey WestChester, I just tried to download them and had to sign out and sign back in and they came down fine, if you still can't download them, msg me your e mail and I'll send them to you direct.

Thanks Renee, glad they are working out for you.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have always thought that Chief should have a material creator like this as an integral part of the program. grout width and color control rocks :) Now, if we had tile catalogs from the tile manufacturers and grout selection from the major grout suppliers. that would be pretty cool, too.

Dustin,

I've watched the reply of Thursday's webinar.  I've not used the substance player yet as currently we rarely get too detailed with interior materials. However, we do get detailed with exterior materials. Having a way to control brick materials with Substance Player would be awesome!!! Also, changing mortar color would be so helpful. I'm not sure if this tool would help in creating better solider brick for over arches, but if it could, that would be fantastic. 

Thank you for all the tips today. I especially found helpful using the box rather than a countertop for the bench so the top plane could be rotated.

9 minutes ago, DianneDSC said:

Having a way to control brick materials with Substance Player would be awesome!!! Also, changing mortar color would be so helpful. I'm not sure if this tool would help in creating better solider brick for over arches, but if it could, that would be fantastic.

https://brick.com/onlinetools

Arches will still be laborious.

10 hours ago, CADustin said:

If you have a sec, can you tell me what all you would need it to do?

Check out the link to ACME's tool above. I use it quite a bit. It makes very good seamless textures and allows you to choose the mortar color, brick color, number of brick rows and columns, type of bond (running, stacked, 1/3, etc.) I use it for soldier courses also. Arched brick? doesn't work since it doesn't have that option. Arched brick would be on my list at the very top!