My layer sets keep changing in my layouts.

Rytikom25

I have three layers sets on my plan: dimensioned, furniture, kitchen and bath. Everytime when  I change a layer set in my working plan, all the layers change to the one I switched to in my layout. What can I do to stop my layers from changing? I searched the chief web and tried numerous things. 

I have posted this information before but I might have to keep posting it until everyone has learned about Saved Plan Views.

From your description it sounds like you are sending views to layout that are linked to Saved Plan Views.  If you change anything associated with the Saved Plan View, such as the layer set or current floor, then this will affect your layout view.

Here are some ways to solve your problems:

- You can stop using saved plan views by switching your Saved Plan View Control that appears in the default toolbar to "None".  You can also do this in your default template so that new plans won't start in a saved plan view.

- You can unlink a layout box from a saved plan view by opening the Layout Box Specification dialog and setting the Linked Saved Plan View combo box to "None".  In X11, there is also a new edit toolbar button that will allow you to link or unlink a layout box from a saved plan view.

- You can learn how to use Saved Plan Views.  If you use a different saved plan view for each layout view, you won't have to worry about accidentally changing them.

More information about Saved Plan Views can be found in the reference manual or in this video:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2421/saved-plan-views.html?playlist=100

• 1 month later...

I will say that the real problem is the way layers sets work in Chief. 

It's far too easy to make a temporary change in a layer set and then forget to revert back to how you want that particular view to show/behave. 

The solution is that when you make a change in a layer set there should be a button at the bottom that says "update" or "apply" to make the change peranenet to that plan view and layer set.  So that when you double click on that plan view again it should revert back to the "original" state of the layer set. In other words there should be a two step process in permanently affecting a layer set cjange as a safety. 

• Downvote 1