X11 crashing

Designer1

I was working on a plan in X11 that started slowly locking up, meaning I would change the location of a wall and then it would basically do the hour glass thinking type thing and wouldnt ever stop and force you to use task manager to shut chief down.  It worked for awhile but the frequency of this happening increased to the point where once you opened X11 and selected the plan it would just sit and think about opening it but the progress bar would never get to the point of opening it up.

This isnt a project that must be finished now but I did want to work on it. I tried opening X10 and of course that didnt work because it was already worked on in X11.  Where in the C drive can I access archives where I can select an older version of the plan and either try opening the older version in X10 or try another file that was from a few days ago to find out if that will work in X11? 

I was thinking about just emailing tech support but dont think the entire plan will fit in the space required and I cant even open the file to erase a lot of the stuff to make the file smaller.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Eric,

Yes I knew X11 is beta thats why I am working on something less pressing but still would like to work on it.  Im familiar with the preference folders once your in the plan file but what about accessing archives outside the plan?  Is there away to find archives on the c drive without even going into chief?

Why do it outside Chief?

To make sure, best to find the location through Chief.

Preferences>General>Folders>All Program Paths>Show>select Archives Folder>Show In Finder.

This will take you right to the location where you can select and open an archive file.

The above is for a mac, but Windows should be similar.

Once you have the path, you can then go to that location outside Chief if you really need to. 

• Like 1

Any ideas?

Yes.  Please contact tech support to report this problem.  If this is indeed a bug in X11, we would really like to fix it before we actually release the program.  Tech support will help you get the plan file to us so that we can look into it further.  Sometimes all that is needed is for the plan file to be zipped up but in other cases the file can be transferred through drop box or some other online file transfer system.

12 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I was working on a plan in X11 that started slowly locking up, meaning I would change the location of a wall and then it would basically do the hour glass thinking type thing and wouldnt ever stop and force you to use task manager to shut chief down.  It worked for awhile but the frequency of this happening increased to the point where once you opened X11 and selected the plan it would just sit and think about opening it but the progress bar would never get to the point of opening it up.

This isnt a project that must be finished now but I did want to work on it. I tried opening X10 and of course that didnt work because it was already worked on in X11.  Where in the C drive can I access archives where I can select an older version of the plan and either try opening the older version in X10 or try another file that was from a few days ago to find out if that will work in X11? 

I was thinking about just emailing tech support but dont think the entire plan will fit in the space required and I cant even open the file to erase a lot of the stuff to make the file smaller.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Out of curiosity, 

Are you using a desk top computer or a lap top? And are you using additional monitors?

Glen, I wanted to go outside chief to access the archives because going within chief, even just selecting the file to open would lock up chief and youd have to force chief to shutdown and restart just to have it function.

Joe, Im using an alienware desktop with two monitors.

Dermot, I called tech support and talked with Nigel and was able to send the file into you guys.  Hopefully next week we can find out why that file is so strange.

Thanks for everyones input, I appreciate it and have a great weekend!

Thanks Eric.  I was able to send the file in to Chief.  I originally was asking about locating the archive files because I was going to go around the newest messed up file and try and work with an older one and avoid whatever was making problems for X11.  Since Dermot recommended me to send the whole file in I figured looking for the archive wasnt important at this point.  So hopefully I will hear back next week what went wrong with the file.

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Thanks Eric.  I was able to send the file in to Chief.  I originally was asking about locating the archive files because I was going to go around the newest messed up file and try and work with an older one and avoid whatever was making problems for X11.  Since Dermot recommended me to send the whole file in I figured looking for the archive wasnt important at this point.  So hopefully I will hear back next week what went wrong with the file.

I have been having an ongoing problem. When I open Chief on an external monitor it locks up and also every time I run 3D on an external monitor it locks up.

Not sure if its related so i will follow this thread. Please keep me in the loop if you can.

I have been having an ongoing problem. When I open Chief on an external monitor it locks up and also every time I run 3D on an external monitor it locks up.

Not sure if its related so i will follow this thread. Please keep me in the loop if you can.

This does not sound like it is related.  Chad's problem sounds like it is specific to the plan he is working with.  Your problem sounds like it is video card or system related.  Please check out this help article:  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

If that does not help you to resolve your problem, then I would recommend that you contact technical support during our normal business hours.

22 hours ago, Dermot said:

This does not sound like it is related.  Chad's problem sounds like it is specific to the plan he is working with.  Your problem sounds like it is video card or system related.  Please check out this help article:  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

If that does not help you to resolve your problem, then I would recommend that you contact technical support during our normal business hours.

Thanks for the input but unfortunately I have given up. I saw this thread and I just decided to ask the question to see if it my be a similar problem I'm having. I have been on the line with support twice for this issue and they cant seem to help me. I had the same problem with two other Laptop computers so Its not my pc that is the problem. This is a big inconvenience but i have to work around it because I cant afford to spend all my time trouble shooting. I already have too much time wasted. I guess Im just hoping that it will eventually work itself out or maybe a thread will come through with a similar problem. Maybe I will post a video later when I have time so my problem is better explained.

Thanks for your help

On 3/2/2019 at 8:45 AM, builtright3 said:

I had a very similar issue on Friday, wasn't completely locking up but was very slow. Couldn't even make any modifications. I had floor plan on laptop, 3d view and section on external monitor. Restarted computer, didn't help so gave up using external monitor. After reading this thread over the weekend, I followed Dermot's thought & updated my video card driver and, so far, has solved my issue. I'm using x11 beta. 

On 3/2/2019 at 11:26 PM, Dermot said:

Your problem sounds like it is video card or system related.

I called tech support and talked with Nigel and was able to send the file into you guys.  Hopefully next week we can find out why that file is so strange.

Thank you.  We have determined that the problem is with building roofs.  It looks like a fairly complex design and there are a number of problems with roofs and attic walls so I assume that this was a work in progress when you started having the issues.  At any rate, we should be able to get a fix into the next update (the official X11 release). 

Thanks Dermot and Nigel for working with me on learning what this bug was about.  Curious, how did you and Nigel forced the plan open without crashing chief?  Nigel sent me a copy of the plan altered with the auto roofs off and it opened ok.  My issue was even if I knew that was what was crashing X11 I still wouldnt have been able to even get into chief to open the plan and turn off auto roofs.  Reason I ask is this might be a handy work around should chief freeze like that again.