VIDeo Lesson: How To: Stair Rail into end of Wall

SNestor

Video that shows one method of creating a stair railing that meets the end of a stud wall...something we wish Chief had fixed for X11 :(

Experts may have some other solutions...but this works well enough until Chief gives us a stair tool that works...

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your video on this topic.  This has baffled me for some time now.  Question though - is there any way of doing this where the actual wall extends below the first few treads instead of just unchecking  "Open Underneath"?  This is the closest video I've found to being accurate but doesn't really depict how we would build that wall under the open portion of the stairs.

Steve,

This would be a lot easier if we could just use one additional Stair Section and offset not only the Newell but also the Balusters and Railing.  I would just make the additional Section the full width to the outside of the open side, eliminating the line(s) that show the additional edges.

IAE, nice video showing how to do it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Steve,

This would be a lot easier if we could just use one additional Stair Section and offset not only the Newell but also the Balusters and Railing.  I would just make the additional Section the full width to the outside of the open side, eliminating the line(s) that show the additional edges.

IAE, nice video showing how to do it.

Totally agree Joe.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jhoneypsu said:

Question though - is there any way of doing this where the actual wall extends below the first few treads instead of just unchecking  "Open Underneath"?

Break the Wall where it crosses under the staircase and mark the Wall "No room Definition" so you still get the drywall on the end of the full height wall. The down side is you need to use a Room Moulding Polyline to get the Base when you mark it "no room def."

I use a different method than  Steve but I think it should work just fine....

image.thumb.png.2cc405a4703ecb5f039c603625835b59.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thank you so much.  This worked well and solved my issue.  I know that no software is perfect, and Chief seems to have the least amount of quirks of any of the residential design software I have used.  But it seems like such an unnecessary work around and something Chief could easily fix.  

• 4 weeks later...

Nice job Steve. I had figured out a way to get the look but I picked up a good tip on the skirt board. ( Bumped you up one point for that) Glad to see I am not the only one to call it a skirt board. What chief calls a stringer is what we call a Stair Horse in my neck of the woods.

Have a great week,Ken

• Like 1