What's Up with This Funky Porch Roof?

ClarkeThrasher

I apologize in advance if this too wordy a dissertation of frustration which I most humbly submit to this golden altar of expertise.  Also, don't know how to create JPEGs  of CA views so PDFs will have to do.

Background: This pre-existing home model I'm drawing is to aid with customer direction in designing and building a custom fence/driveway gate.  I am creating this model from photographs and just a few fast basic exterior dimensions, the bulk of the sizing is based on proportions knowing the siding has a 7" exposure.  It is being drawn from the outside-in so to speak with the roofing a hybrid of both the automatic roofing tool and manual roof planes.  The Dormer was done manually using the Convert Polyline -- Hole in Roof / Custom Ceiling Tool.  The problem being a strange, extra and unwanted roof plane that is created over top the Covered Porch Roof when I select the Auto Roof Return option under the Roof menu for the Front (invisible) Wall of the Porch.  A frustrating feature of the funky extra roof is that it can not be selected deleted or altered in any way!

The #1 view is how the front Porch Roof should look, this being drawn before I drew in the Dormer:   

#2 view is after I drew the dormer and after I had to redraw and/or edit the Porch Roof but before trying the Auto Roof Return option:

#3 view is after trying the Auto Roof Return option:

#1 Porch ARR No Dormer.pdf

#3 Auto Roof Return Full Funky.pdf

#2 Porch Gable pre AFR.pdf

Porch Roof with Extra Roof Plane Prob.plan

8 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

Without opening your plan, looks like you might have an extra (un-needed) roof plane in the porch area.  Just select it and delete.

That’s the weird problem — one can’t select, delete, or alter it in any way unless you delete the entire Porch roof assembly!  Which I have done and drawn the entire Porch roof over again and got the same problem again.  Since I was able to successfully have the Full Auto Roof Return before I made the Dormer, I think it may have something to do with that.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 12:36 PM, solver said:

I would auto build the entire roof. Add a 2nd floor for the dormer.

The problem seems to be the porch ceiling.

ct1.thumb.jpg.1bd821c861258667287406455a48f290.jpg

Porch Roof with Extra Roof Plane Prob (eric).zip

Solver, I tried your suggestions, redrew everything, added a 2nd floor dormer but kept having the same problems, then I noticed what I think is your corrected (eric) file here at your last post and opened it to find that you essentially had solved my porch roof problem and i wondered what you had done differently to create this?