Drop Box versus Google Drive

payettedesigns

Does anyone use Google Drive for Cloud Storage? I have been using DropBox for years without incident and it syncs perfectly. We switched to G-Suite and I have a mountain of Google Drive storage and I am paying for both. DropBox and Google Drive If you are using  Google Drive can you weigh in and let me know of any issues.

appreciated..

13 minutes ago, payettedesigns said:

Does anyone use Google Drive for Cloud Storage? I have been using DropBox for years without incident and it syncs perfectly. We switched to G-Suite and I have a mountain of Google Drive storage and I am paying for both. DropBox and Google Drive If you are using  Google Drive can you weigh in and let me know of any issues.

appreciated..

I run into sync problems with google drive though i still use it day to day with my company. I prefer onedrive

I don't know a lot about google drive but I have been using dropbox since it came out years a ago. Whenever I looked at anything else like google drive for instance I'm never impressed so I stick with dropbox. It's like an old hat that is broken in and you just don't want to get rid of it because its so comfortable. 

• Upvote 2

I use G-Suite for everything and love it since I use Google for everything, but if you work from different computers at times you may be annoyed with the slow uploads. You can't turn off the computer off until it's finished, or when you get to your other computer you will find that the file is not the latest version. Plus, I only pay $10/month for unlimited storage with the business plan.

I also used Dropbox with one client up until a few months ago. I liked that it was faster at uploading, but didn't really like the user interfaces compared to G-Suite. The price of Dropbox was too expensive for the amount of storage you get.

Currently I use OneDrive in addition to my G-Suite with one customer. I feel the same as I did about Dropbox. What's nice about OneDrive is it works well with Office products.

• Like 1

I feel like a shill always adding unrequested info about microsoft One Drive.  But, the biggest advantage for me (working on multiple computers) is it is a mappable drive, so your computer sees it as just another hard drive.  I had no issues working off of it, not storing the file on my local drive, but I have pretty good internet as well.  There is no need to sync, auto or manual, and you can set up a local hard drive backup from the mapped drive (SyncToy).

6 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I share files back and forth with a pretty large number of people and I have issues accessing files via Google Drive pretty regularly but I don't recall having ever had an issue with Dropbox.

Similar experience here... Use both prefer DropBox

16 hours ago, madcowscarnival said:

I feel like a shill always adding unrequested info about microsoft One Drive.  But, the biggest advantage for me (working on multiple computers) is it is a mappable drive, so your computer sees it as just another hard drive.  I had no issues working off of it, not storing the file on my local drive, but I have pretty good internet as well.  There is no need to sync, auto or manual, and you can set up a local hard drive backup from the mapped drive (SyncToy).

...and not being a shill for DropBox either but it does the same....

EDIT: as I added below I don't think I am using DropBox in this fashion...

9 hours ago, madcowscarnival said:

@HumbleChief really?  I did not know that.  Unfortunately it seems, as I'm on Windows 7, its not possible to map dropbox (not able to use "an app").  I do use it manually for sharing files with clients as necessary.  Though with large global limits on email, that's the quickest for me.

Yeah been using it for years as a mapped hard drive...as have others here on this forum...

EDIT: Could have this wrong. I have my DropBox 'Folder' on my computer which is linked to all my files - everywhere - but not sure it's actually a mapped hard drive. I googled the question and it looks like it's possible but I don't think I've been using it that way...Sorry for any confusion.

Here's a method to do so but I simply have a folder that's common to all my machines....

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Mapping-Dropbox-to-network-drive-in-Windows-7/td-p/38738/page/2

I'm curious about mapping OneDrive (or DropBox) as a network drive. Does this mean that drive, which lives in the cloud and not on your computer, stores all the files freeing up your own hard drive? And accessing that drive, on the cloud, can be done from multiple computers like any DB or OD folder?

6 minutes ago, madcowscarnival said:

Here's a screenshot of my current drive setup.  I only have to log in to the OneDrive after restart, it stays logged in after that.  I looked at that ExpanDrive, looks handy, thanks.

Thanks and appreciate all the info but am still curious "Does this mean that drive, which lives in the cloud and not on your computer, stores all the files freeing up your own hard drive? And accessing that drive, on the cloud, can be done from multiple computers like any DB or OD folder?

26 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I'm curious about mapping OneDrive (or DropBox) as a network drive. Does this mean that drive, which lives in the cloud and not on your computer, stores all the files freeing up your own hard drive? And accessing that drive, on the cloud, can be done from multiple computers like any DB or OD folder?

Here's a screen shot of my computer drives.  I only log in to the onedrive once after restart or lost internet connection.  That ExpanDrive looks handy for other users though, thanks.

Clipboard02.png

Yes, the mapped drive functions just as any other drive, nothing stored locally.  For instance, if I open an AutoCad file on my work computer and forget to close out, then try to open the file on my home machine, it will report that it's open on another computer and create a read-only instance of the file.  I don't know anything about collaborative use, as I only access the file myself.

4 minutes ago, madcowscarnival said:

Yes, the mapped drive functions just as any other drive, nothing stored locally.  For instance, if I open an AutoCad file on my work computer and forget to close out, then try to open the file on my home machine, it will report that it's open on another computer and create a read-only instance of the file.  I don't know anything about collaborative use, as I only access the file myself.

Thanks but I'm not sure I can make sense of this "just as any other drive, nothing stored locally."

[bonehead] Don't all my drives currently store files locally? What makes a 'mapped drive' not store files locally? [/bonehead]

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks but I'm not sure I can make sense of this "just as any other drive, nothing stored locally."

[bonehead] Don't all my drives currently store files locally? What makes a 'mapped drive' not store files locally? [/bonehead]

My apologies, it should read "works just like any other drive, but nothing stored locally..."  Windows reads it as a normal drive, 319GB used / 168 free, is actually the capacity of the cloud account.

Larry - You have Windows 10 and One Drive is very different from Windows 7. In Windows 10 One Drive is fully integrated into the operating system. There's nothing to do but assign the folders you wish One Drive to see/manage. They will automatically sync to the One Drive cloud server and then to any other device you have that's connected through your Microsoft Account to your One Drive cloud server. You have complete control over where the files reside, locally or in the cloud. This can be set up differently for each connected device. Say your main system has 512GB but your laptop only has 256GB. On your laptop you can tell One Drive which ones to store locally, you still see all of the available files but it only auto transfers the ones you have chosen. If you need to work on one that is not auto stored locally it will download it so you can work on it.

One Drive is completely seamless, it just shows up as a folder in Explorer and you just treat/use it like any other folder.

11 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Larry - You have Windows 10 and One Drive is very different from Windows 7. In Windows 10 One Drive is fully integrated into the operating system. There's nothing to do but assign the folders you wish One Drive to see/manage. They will automatically sync to the One Drive cloud server and then to any other device you have that's connected through your Microsoft Account to your One Drive cloud server. You have complete control over where the files reside, locally or in the cloud. This can be set up differently for each connected device. Say your main system has 512GB but your laptop only has 256GB. On your laptop you can tell One Drive which ones to store locally, you still see all of the available files but it only auto transfers the ones you have chosen. If you need to work on one that is not auto stored locally it will download it so you can work on it.

One Drive is completely seamless, it just shows up as a folder in Explorer and you just treat/use it like any other folder.

Thanks Graham but am pretty committed to DropBox with clients who are not too computer savvy and no reason for me to change but will explore these options in DB to see if it makes sense for my work flow and file storage.