Editing notes in a note schedule in X11

CJSpud

I created a note schedule for the floor framing plan for a project I am working on.  There were 11 different notes in this schedule.  In reviewing the schedule I noticed the wording I used for the no. 7 note needed some editing so I clicked on one of the no. 7 note callouts and opened the note dbx and edited the text as needed and clicked OK.  Right after doing this I noticed Chief had taken my old no.7 note and created a new note with the original text showing.  The original no. 7 text did get changed OK but I sure wasn't counting on keeping the old note with a new number.  Now I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix this.  As near as I can tell, we have no ability to undo this sort of thing and I cannot figure out any other way to make edits to a note schedule without things getting all messed up.  Am I missing something very obvious or did Chief not give us a good way to edit note schedules.  HELP!!!

Joe:

I didn't try that ... can you do that? 

What I did was delete all the of the no. 12 callouts but one.  With that one I went in to the dbx and deleted the macro and just typed in #7 in the box.  Then I copied the callout back to the positions where they belonged in the beginning and all is well now. 

To say I am just a little confused about how I created this mess is an understatement.  The note schedule is OK now (I think) but when I get a little time, I am going to do some more monkeying around with the note schedule and see if I can recreate the dilemma I described.

The simplest way would be to use the "open row objects" tool.  Select the note you want to change in the note schedule and select the tool.  That way it will change all of them.  This is the same way you can edit doors via the door schedule or windows via the window schedule.  I believe it was a new feature in X10.  Extremely useful.  I put a hotkey to it because I use it frequently (it may have had a system hotkey, I can't remember).  This will keep the note the same even if you have the same note on multiple floors.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DreamView said:

The simplest way would be to use the "open row objects" tool.  Select the note you want to change in the note schedule and select the tool.  That way it will change all of them.  This is the same way you can edit doors via the door schedule or windows via the window schedule.  I believe it was a new feature in X10.  Extremely useful.  I put a hotkey to it because I use it frequently (it may have had a system hotkey, I can't remember).  This will keep the note the same even if you have the same note on multiple floors.

dreamview is right...dream you should fill out your signature so that we know what software you're using.

this icon:

openScheduleRow.png.8ee4fc526372f3b6b86e8a1f0382ab73.png

That row tool looks like it leads to the same dbx that I opened by just selecting one of the callouts where I made the wording changes to.

I think I am needing some fresh air as this note schedule tool is giving me fits now.  Along with the double numbering, all my callouts are no longer displaying in the plan.  I am obviously not doing things right as I am now getting unusual "double numbering" in my schedule for the framing plan.  This apparently is somehow due to my assumption that we could have many different note schedules for different "saved plan views", which is something else I am just now trying to use.

So my question now is:  Can we have more than one note schedule for use in our construction plans?  I was under the assumption we could.  For example, note schedules for:  1.  floor framing; 2. roof framing; 3. cabinets; etc.  Is this possible?  If it is, I would sure like to know how to go about it.

Tried calling TS twice today but got tired of waiting both times as no one was taking my call.  Maybe I am not the only one having trouble with this.  I've watched Jenna and the video on the note schedule several times now but haven't been able to learn much from that.  Next step will be the manual I guess ... after I try TS one more time in the morning.

Edit:  Just figured out how to get rid of my single numbering schedule back and the callouts back on the plan .... grrhhh ... was in the wrong anno set/layer set.  Somehow, with some Chief wizzardry, my manual number seven is back to the macro now.  Still want to know if we can have different note schedules in one plan.

Edit 2:  Figured out how to start a new note schedule (using the note type management tool) for my roof framing plan but when I tried to start populating the roof framing notes schedule, the first item I typed in reported to the bottom of my floor framing notes schedule rather than starting to populate the new roof framing notes schedule.  I did change the callout type to a square (I used circles for the floor framing notes) and a square with number 12 in it and my first roof framing note is now the last item in the floor framing notes schedule.  Sure hope I am missing something and there is a way to have many different note schedules in one plan.

So my question now is:  Can we have more than one note schedule for use in our construction plans?  I was under the assumption we could.  For example, note schedules for:  1.  floor framing; 2. roof framing; 3. cabinets; etc.  Is this possible?  If it is, I would sure like to know how to go about it.

Curt,

You need to do 2 things.

1. In the Note Specification dbx>Note panel>Schedule>Type - select a type.

2, In the Note Schedule Specification dbx>General panel>Objects to Include, select the appropriate type of note that matches your selection 1. above.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, glennw said:

Curt,

You need to do 2 things.

1. In the Note Specification dbx>Note panel>Schedule>Type - select a type.

2, In the Note Schedule Specification dbx>General panel>Objects to Include, select the appropriate type of note that matches your selection 1. above.

I’m not at computer now,  but there are only 7 types so you would be limited to 7 note schedules......  am I correct?

Glen:

For the floor framing schedule I used "General Notes" as the note type.  For the roof framing notes schedule, even if I change the type to "framing", and working in my roof framing saved plan view, when I try to add a note it still adds it to the bottom of my floor framing notes.  It properly uses the different shape callout (square vs round), but it will not populate the new note schedule (roof framing notes).  I must be missing something.

By the way, you can add to the "Objects To Include" list other object types by using the "Note Type Management" tool in the Text drop down.  That made me think that we should be able to make "numerous" note schedules beyond the default ones Chief provided.  Maybe I am wrong about that but it seems odd that it wouldn't work that way since we can add to the list.

Note schedules are gonna be great. I'd really like to a function similar to Google Keep - paste a list of things into Keep, it treats each line seperately - so I could dump a list of comments from an owner or plan checker into a schedule, it would automatically create a callout for each note and then I could place the callout.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, i spose I'm so used to working the way I work I hardly ever have to modify my active defaults - new note tool looks like really being worth the effort though. 

I'm clearly losing my mind today, now I cant get pattern lines to shade to grey in layout view and reference plans are throwing me for a loop also - adult onset CRS I fear :)

Yup, I'm gonna have to do the same - this is sort of like the rev cloud thing, I'd love to be able to set a default on the fly, drop 3 or 4 items, then set a different default - I'm sure there's a way, I just have to decide its useful enough to invest the time to learn...it's been so long since I set up my annosets that may be the solution anyway. Thanks for all the tips and direction :)

Got all my note types built, then built again, on the fly in annosets, pretty circular process, but since I only need to do it once in a very great while, who cares :)

I don't seem to be able to get note comments to display in the notes schedule, has anyone else tried this?

I've gotten a grip on the nomenclature as notes report to multiple schedules - interesting but maybe not useful, it might be a little too complicated to explain to subs, suppliers and homeowners. I like the idea of a "master" note schedule, display all note type, with a column locating them by sheet or by plan name or something...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking the feature allot.  Making it configurable in the annotation sets is excellent.  Annotation sets rule, add more to them....

I use these in my beam and header schedule and often need to rotate a few bugs vertically or at an angle.  I was using the Callouts for this which you could block and then rotate as needed.  Not so with the note.  Can they be made to rotate?  See image below.

Also, if you copy a note to another location and change the new notes label number it will not add it to the schedule, that is, B1 to B2.  You must change the text in the new copied note to make it appear in the schedule.

Bill

Note Bug.JPG

22 hours ago, Plizmo said:

I was using the Callouts for this which you could block and then rotate as needed.  Not so with the note.  Can they be made to rotate?  See image below.

All the shapes can be rotated except for the ellipse, the capsule, and the rectangle.  I suggested early on that we be able to block notes (which would allow for this) but so far that request hasn't been granted.  I suggest you send in a request as well...either for the ability to simply rotate those particular callout shapes along with their text or for the ability to block the notes. 

22 hours ago, Plizmo said:

Also, if you copy a note to another location and change the new notes label number it will not add it to the schedule, that is, B1 to B2.  You must change the text in the new copied note to make it appear in the schedule.

I noticed this as well.  Might want to send that one in too. 

I don't know where to report bugs anymore, so here goes...

1.)  If I have my Schedule in a cad detail open on another monitor and add or deleted a note in the plan on main monitor it does not always update the schedule.  It requires moving the screen, that is, pan or zoom or moving the schedule.

2.) Feature Request: Allow a different font size for the schedule main title.

3.) Feature Request: Allow the note to be rotated including the text inside the note.

4.) Feature Request: the ability to add a name to the note that displays when adding it to the library.  Currently when adding the note to the library its name is note.

21 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:
  On 4/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, Plizmo said:

Also, if you copy a note to another location and change the new notes label number it will not add it to the schedule, that is, B1 to B2.  You must change the text in the new copied note to make it appear i

If you un-select group similar objects it will work but that has repercussions as well.