Saved Plan Views

Rpadge

7 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Somehow I knew that Chief would be letting anno-sets die on the vine when plan views came out but I still use them. Hey Chief how about a video about deleting anno-sets for those of us that have using them for a long time?

No need to delete them P, just ignore them when setting up Plan Views, or, like me use them anyway because that's the way I set up plan views to begin with.

But if you did want to delete them can't you just delete them from here?

DELETE ANNO SETS.png

14 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

It is my understanding as I have been using plan views that when you "Save As" a new view it is now 100% independent of every-other view as far as when you add text, dimensions, call outs, layers, scales.....

Is this correct or am I wrong?

It's 100% independent if when you "Save As" it references a different Layer Set but all the other active defaults for each new Plan View is 100% independent. They might be the same, but as soon as a New Plan View is created those active defaults belong to that Plan View and only that Plan View - unless it references the same Layer Set..

8 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

It's 100% independent if when you "Save As" it references a different Layer Set but all the other active defaults for each new Plan View is 100% independent. They might be the same, but as soon as a New Plan View is created those active defaults belong to that Plan View and only that Plan View - unless it references the same Layer Set..

Yes, this is what I like about it. You cant screw-up the plan view when you are editing other plan views. The control is wonderful and it is easy!

1 hour ago, builtright3 said:

Yes, this is what I like about it. You cant screw-up the plan view when you are editing other plan views. The control is wonderful and it is easy!

Of course you can. Change something in a default from the active default list in the “saved plan view” dbx, and any plan view that uses that default is changed as well.

The only difference is that, as was mentioned, since you have this control from the saved plan view dbx, anno sets are redundant. 

Which leads us us all the way back to OP’s original question in the post he started. 

10 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Of course you can. Change something in a default from the active default list in the “saved plan view” dbx, and any plan view that uses that default is changed as well.

The only difference is that, as was mentioned, since you have this control from the saved plan view dbx, anno sets are redundant. 

Which leads us us all the way back to OP’s original question in the post he started. 

You just made my point. You cant mess up one plan view when your messing with the other plan view that is not connected. Default changes are another issue because they are global for the entire plan.

If it were me...I'd adjust my Layer Set first, copy a set that is similar and give it a new name; Then create the unique annotations that are needed for the new plan view...I'd get the plan looking and working exactly the way I want it to, color, fonts, text etc...then, click the "save plan view as" icon.  

Say you are using your "Floor Plan" plan view.  It's working just fine....but, you create a foundation from the floor plan.  Now you are looking at a foundation view...using your "Floor Plan" plan view set.  Open the "active defaults" and create a new layer set called "foundation plan layer set"...change any other item such as rich text, text, line color and weight, etc.. You may have to experiment to get exactly what you want.  Then, click the "save as" plan view button.  I think that's all you need to do.

The one thing that always gets me is that Chief warns that the view has changed..."do you want to save it".  This is weird...because you just created and "saved as" a new view.  So...maybe it's a bit quirky.  I'm not an expert on Plan Views...still learning like the rest of you.  But, this is how I think it works...:huh:

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

If it were me...I'd adjust my Layer Set first, copy a set that is similar and give it a new name; Then create the unique annotations that are needed for the new plan view...I'd get the plan looking and working exactly the way I want it to, color, fonts, text etc...then, click the "save plan view as" icon.  

Say you are using your "Floor Plan" plan view.  It's working just fine....but, you create a foundation from the floor plan.  Now you are looking at a foundation view...using your "Floor Plan" plan view set.  Open the "active defaults" and create a new layer set called "foundation plan layer set"...change any other item such as rich text, text, line color and weight, etc.. You may have to experiment to get exactly what you want.  Then, click the "save as" plan view button.  I think that's all you need to do.

The one thing that always gets me is that Chief warns that the view has changed..."do you want to save it".  This is weird...because you just created and "saved as" a new view.  So...maybe it's a bit quirky.  I'm not an expert on Plan Views...still learning like the rest of you.  But, this is how I think it works...:huh:

I don't see anything quirky as far as plan views are concerned. Chief has made it really simple. 

When you save a plan view and you change your layers around while you are working on each view it automatically saves the layers to that specific view.

Another thing I do is save my Framing plan view and then I go to the foundation off the framing view and then I save that as the foundation plan view. It works really well. I have had no troubles like I usually do with layers getting messed up in the layout plan.

In this picture is my list so far that I have set up. Also when you name the plan view, that name goes to the label in your layout so I put the scale in the name so it automatically shows.

Same thing with the cross sections names and labels.

Capture.thumb.PNG.841ead88ce8fac373ba325f37be37c4b.PNG