mouse-orbit camera as center button of 3 button mouse?

modaby

Hello All,

I am new to Chief and attempting to set up the work space to my liking......

Is there a way to set up the center button of my 3 button mouse to be the "Mouse-Orbit" command rather than pan?

Thanks for your help.  Looking forward to learning Chief!

Cheers.

16 minutes ago, solver said:

Does you mouse have software that allows programming the buttons?

If so, try programming the key sequence for that command.

I was able to get the Alt-O command programmed into my center mouse button using my programmable mouse software, but Chief still requires me to use the left mouse button to move the view around after the command is active.  I am hoping to activate AND move the view around from the center mouse button, leaving the left mouse button free for selection of objects/tools without escaping out of the mouse-orbit command first. 

Using a mac, Mouse -Orbit Camera is the default move camera mode when I open a 3D view.

That means I can rotate the model using the left mouse button and select objects with the right button without escaping or selecting any tools.

Is that the functionality you are after, or do you absolutely need to use the centre button?

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2019 at 9:59 PM, solver said:

Chief does not work that way. Only one command can be active at any time.

You can Pan (by pressing the Mouse Wheel) while another command is active.  It seems you should be able to rotate, which is much more useful for making multiple selections of objects that are currently hidden.
Anyway, it shouldn't be limited to either.  Most 3D software nowadays uses the Shift Key and the Mouse Wheel Press to differentiate between Rotate and Pan.

Is there a way to switch from Pan to Rotate?  If not, it seems like a a pretty large work flow impediment.