Single Line Segement w/ Label - How Did I Not Know This

ComputerMaster86

I just noticed today that a single line segment can have a polyline label.  I thought this was something new in X11 but, it works in X10.  I don't believe I ever really noticed this before.  Here is what I have noticed...

1. Draw a single line segment.
  2. Double-click on the object.  Notice there is no label tab in the dialogue box.
  3. Close the dialogue box.
  4. Draw an additional line segment to your exiting line.
  5. Drag the second end point of the second segment until it snaps to the second end point of the first line.
  6. Line segment should now be one individual line segment.
  7. Double-click on the object.  Notice now there is a label tab in the dialogue box.

image.thumb.png.31ce8231e203bc3e62d71c0ce8363fdb.png

image.thumb.png.ef1063650ed33828a165e4c94d971bbb.png

image.thumb.png.eefcbdf264eb1ea52934f6c14aa59cfe.png

image.thumb.png.e37627c290a295a1a4e73f790ccfa916.png

image.thumb.png.664d246d7b2e88d4f88b63c6d336cb25.png

I often draw my own 2D cross sections for the post-framed building projects my employer takes on.  There may be instances where I need to add a very simple text note in the general vicinity of a single line.  I can't really think of too many examples  where I would use this at the moment.

image.thumb.png.9bf2682447f2f6ca587fa797a6d6f9d0.png

Ok cool, will need to think about that one a bit.  There would need to be a benefit for the association with the line otherwise it could just as easily be a cad line and text box or leader line without arrow and text.  Possibly site plans would be a good candidate.  Will need to keep that one in the back of my head.

Thanks,  Chopsaw

9 minutes ago, ComputerMaster86 said:

I often draw my own 2D cross sections for the post-framed building projects my employer takes on.  There may be instances where I need to add a very simple text note in the general vicinity of a single line.  I can't really think of too many examples  where I would use this at the moment.

image.thumb.png.9bf2682447f2f6ca587fa797a6d6f9d0.png

you can also convert the line and then convert back to straight poly line to get the same function. You can also apply arrows.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Ok cool,

adding a macro with a dimension designation is great for say-site setbacks

I think what I like about this is a label stays attached to the line.  If I need to move the line or re-orientate the line, the label moves with the line and relative to the line.  I still might have to re-orientate my text.  If I use text, I always have to make sure to move both text and the line.  I think this can be a little bit of a time saver for me.