Where is the rollouts in cabinet components?

dskogg

41 minutes ago, dskogg said:

HI all, i dont see where the rollout shelves are in the components tab of a full cabinet, is there a way to show these or the shelves?

slideout drawer pic.JPG

Which Rollouts are they ? if I use the Rev-a-Shelf ones they are in the component list as an "Insert"

M.

I see all kind of fancy roll outs in revit shelf but not just a rollout for a pantry?

Also tried using a refuse fixture in revit...it doesnt insert into cabinet..it wont open when you open drawer...am i missing something?

I checked off rollout shelf option in cabinets specification but it doesnt show it as a rollout drawer and it doesnt include glides in material list...how do i make this happen.

rollout door glides.JPG

rollout checked.JPG

11 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I see all kind of fancy roll outs in revit shelf but not just a rollout for a pantry?

If you just want to use a standard shallow drawer box then you'll probably just have to make one for yourself.  Once you make that symbol, add drawer glides to its Components.

13 minutes ago, dskogg said:

Also tried using a refuse fixture in revit...it doesnt insert into cabinet..it wont open when you open drawer...am i missing something?

Read my first post again but read it VERY CAREFULLY.

14 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I checked off rollout shelf option in cabinets specification but it doesnt show it as a rollout drawer and it doesnt include glides in material list...how do i make this happen.

Again, read my first post again...

"You'll have to add those shelves as library items in the Cabinet Shelf Specification dialog OR manually add as a new accessory to your Components list."

57 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

If you just want to use a standard shallow drawer box then you'll probably just have to make one for yourself.  Once you make that symbol, add drawer glides to its Components.

Read my first post again but read it VERY CAREFULLY.

Again, read my first post again...

"You'll have to add those shelves as library items in the Cabinet Shelf Specification dialog OR manually add as a new accessory to your Components list."

Thanks for reply Micheal, if you have time to show a screen shot on how to do this it would be more helpful to me and others than just do this.

I added it as a library item, I don't have a clue how to just add drawer glides to its components?

Going into the object and looking at the components it is not obvious or intuitive on how to add things?

It automatically adjusts width to the inside of cabinet....not sure how to fix this?

And is it possible to show the side glides on shelf when open?

224106935_rolloutdrawerview.thumb.JPG.83c3964221da35bdcf36569bf9f12e7c.JPG

On 2/23/2019 at 11:57 AM, dskogg said:

For a basic Rollout you don't need a Library Item just check the Rollouts Option. If you want a Tray for the rollout (with sides) you will have to make you own though.

It looks like Chief isn't adding the Glides to the Automatic count for the Cabinet when we check the Rollouts Option but it is easily fixed for now but should be reported. Just add +4 (=^ whatever is needed) to the Automatic count in the Components List.

To add components hit the green Cross + sign , it will add an accessory , which you can then rename by clicking on it and change the Count......  I am just making a Rollout shelf , when done I'll post it

image.thumb.png.f90e72d6ee89887444b8eb51728a9bc4.png

M.

8 hours ago, dskogg said:

Thanks for reply Micheal, if you have time to show a screen shot on how to do this it would be more helpful to me and others than just do this.

I added it as a library item, I don't have a clue how to just add drawer glides to its components?

Going into the object and looking at the components it is not obvious or intuitive on how to add things?

It automatically adjusts width to the inside of cabinet....not sure how to fix this?

And is it possible to show the side glides on shelf when open?

224106935_rolloutdrawerview.thumb.JPG.83c3964221da35bdcf36569bf9f12e7c.JPG

It seems as though Chief is stripping the Glides when we Insert the Shelves into the Chief Cabinet....

I made 3 different Rollouts , all have Glides as Components but they don't end up on the Component list for the Cabinet , you still need to add them Manually to the Finished Cabinet's Component List....(CL)

Maybe I made the Symbols wrong ? not sure?  you'll have to see what Michael says he's the Symbol expert. ( Or MarkMc)

***EDIT ...USE the OIP and make a field called Drawer Glides and the Value 2

Library Updated

MHD_Rollout Shelves.calibz

Mick.

From what I can tell (with jet lag mind you). Price, comment and other info added to a roll out symbols components does not show in the cabinet ML even though the ROs show. It DOES show under fixture ML with that information.

It also appears we've lost the ability to add a sub category to CL in x11. However adding a sub category in X 10, then opening in 11 will carry over. Still makes no difference in the ML though. At least what I can tell quickly and groggy. 

59 minutes ago, dskogg said:

It would take a lot more than a screenshot.  I could literally spend hours going over some of these things in great detail to cover all the various scenarios.  Point is that you have to make sure and insert your parts and pieces using the appropriate dialogs as either shelves, or drawers, or appliances, or whatever it is you're inserting and you may need to add as more than one piece to get them to show up in the material list how YOU want them to show.  And you may or may not need to add or modify components/accessories manually as well.  There are forks in the road at every stage of this process and various ways macros could be utilized as well.

45 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

It also appears we've lost the ability to add a sub category to CL in x11. However adding a sub category in X 10, then opening in 11 will carry over.

This is what the Green + is for in the CL Tab Middle Panel @ Top....

Ok Michael may have a point I was thinking Accessory...but I thought we lost Sub.-Cats. in x10 actually... :)

16 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

This is what the Green + is for in the CL DBX Tab RH Panel

Found it thanks. Didn't help but this did sort of...

Changing the ro symbol to inserts into cabinets still allows it to be used as a RO. It will then carry the price and comment (which is where I put the draw glides)

BUT inserting 4 rollouts only two list the drawer glides. It doesn't matter if I inert them one at a time or all at once, same result. Plan attached.

Maybe someone can get all of them to show the comment? or find another place to put the drawer glides.

X11 ro mat list.plan

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Found it thanks. Didn't help but this did sort of...

Changing the ro symbol to inserts into cabinets still allows it to be used as a RO. It will then carry the price and comment (which is where I put the draw glides)

BUT inserting 4 rollouts only two list the drawer glides. It doesn't matter if I inert them one at a time or all at once, same result. Plan attached.

Maybe someone can get all of them to show the comment? or find another place to put the drawer glides.

X11 ro mat list.plan

I was thinking to use the number of "shelves" x2 in a macro for the Cabinet OIP Drawer Guide Value but we don't seem to have a value for Shelf ( or I missed it)  eg I was thinking something like %num_shelf%  would exist ???

*looks like we have one called "insert" though

M.

9 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

*looks like we have one called "insert" though

Yep.  This one could be used to get the desired end result along with a custom macro placed either into one of the existing components or into an added accessory.  Again, there is basically a potential fork in the road at every turn though.  I would probably suggest that the easiest solution for the average user is to just manually edit the count as you first suggested above by changing the value from = automatic_count  to = automatic_count+X (where X is either entered manually or pulled from the aforementioned insert values or pulled from one of the Object Information fields).

5 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

If it's just a full height cabinet, as in plan posted, there are no drawer glides in the CL to edit. 

One of the forks in the road I was talking about.  The example in the OP DID have the drawer glides though, so in your case,time for one of the other methods I guess (added Accessory, added Insert, etc. etc.).  At the end of the day, it comes down to what you want to show, where you want to show it, why you want to show it, whether are not a drawer glide is simply a drawer glide or whether a drawer glide and a rollout glide are 2 different things, how much work you want to put in to make it "automated", etc. etc.)

On 2/22/2019 at 2:05 PM, dskogg said:

HI all, i dont see where the rollout shelves are in the components tab of a full cabinet, is there a way to show these or the shelves? 

Here's one way-cabinet on the right has 4 ROs inserted- each defined as fixture inserts into cabinet-no need to put the drawer glide in the symbol since that doesn't appear to work consistantly. Macro placed in the cabinet comments field-reads the number of inserts, doubles them and outputs a string that reads that number and drawer glides. I would guess that could create problems if you have other inserts but often those cabinets don't. Best I can do on short notice anyway.

Material list with glides.png

RO plan with macro.plan

6 hours ago, MarkMc said:

If it's just a full height cabinet, as in plan posted, there are no drawer glides in the CL to edit. 

If you mean in the 1st Library I posted (now Update above) , you are right, saving the Cabinet to My library to include in the .calibz as an example seems to have stripped the CL info from the Cabinet.

Thanks for the Sample Macro Mark, helped me make a couple of Others so the Schedules work Pretty well now. It seems that the Drawers Glides in the Component List for Chief's Default Cabinets only report to the ML not the Schedules ? A macro fixed that though.

image.thumb.png.79f444b9fac1ddc7564d4597041570e9.png

11 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

It seems that the Drawers Glides in the Component List for Chief's Default Cabinets only report to the ML not the Schedules ?

Yes-I'd asked about that and currently CL items are not all available for use as NVP, have to check the object properties macro to see what you can and can't get. Sill working out how to get at "Collections"

27 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Yes-I'd asked about that and currently CL items are not all available for use as NVP, have to check the object properties macro to see what you can and can't get. Sill working out how to get at "Collections"

Okay,.... can you explain that in english for those of us who aren't members of the rarefied Ruby community :)   NVP ?  Collections? 

Us Script Kiddies need a bit more 'xplaining :)

As much as I like seeing a good Marco actually work, I don't think the average CA User should have to or need to dig this deep, especially when Ruby is obviously part of CA's DNA , it's a pity the average User can't utilise it easier, the TMM is wholly inadequate in the Realm of Users learning anything.

M.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Okay,.... can you explain that in english for those of us who aren't members of the rarefied Ruby community :)   NVP ?  Collections? 

Us Script Kiddies need a bit more 'xplaining :)

As much as I like seeing a good Marco actually work, I don't think the average CA User should have to or need to dig this deep, especially when Ruby is obviously part of CA's DNA , it's a pity the average User can't utilise it easier, the TMM is wholly inadequate in the Realm of Users learning anything.

M.

I barely walk with the stuff but trying.

In X11 when you go to the object properties macro in the TMM you will see some things listed as Collection, with a bunch of sub things under it. There is an explanation in the user manual about how to get at the stuff in Collections but I haven't been able to make it work as they wrote it.

NVP are named value pairs-it's what Chief uses to refer to the attributes that you can get at (also in the reference manual)

I would not disagree that it would be great if it were easier but it's not. I have found that even for Chief developers it is not a primary language so they have to work at it. It's there because it is an "accessible" programming language (compared to other prgramming languages) I expect we will see a bit more come baked in when the ML is completed.

FWIW the TMM is not really meant for learning-it is what it says, Text Macro Management  it's where you write the macros. The Ruby console is a better place to get a feel. The tutorial is a really basic start. After going through that it helps work stuff out. You can select an object in plan and test snippets in the console to see if they work and what the result is if they do. To get anywhere after that you need outside reference- a basic book and a reference of Ruby stuff (technical term for methods, variables, blah blah..) along with a book and a reference (there is a reference linked in the user manual) helps with learning. The reference manual has gotten better with info too this time around.

Dealing with that little macro, which is really just a baby step, got me interested in using the ML for that cabinet pricing thing I've been trying to work out. Combined with the addition of custom OIP fields as NVP I am going to try to switch the cabinet pricing thing from schedules to the ML. But I can't get the macros to work there ...yet.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

I barely walk with the stuff but trying. 

Huh...imagine how the rest of us feel then :) , I think I can count on one hand those of you here who understand and can utilise Ruby fully , even then CA apparently uses a "crippled" version.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

NVP are named value pairs-it's what Chief uses to refer to the attributes that you can get at (also in the reference manual)

Yeh, I forgot I had read those 3 pages back in X9 , and me saying it is Wholly inadequate was quite the understatement , sorry not picking on you, just ranting a little....I see they have updated the Manual a bit it is now about 8-10 pages in X11..thx

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

Combined with the addition of custom OIP fields as NVP I am going to try to switch the cabinet pricing thing from schedules to the ML. But I can't get the macros to work there ...yet.

This as a beginner is what I run into too....as a Macro that works in a Text Box or RTB won't work in  the Schedule or perhaps the ML or vica versa, ie it is not consistent for some reason but I have not seen anymore info on that as yet, but have seen, like yesterday, that the OIP/CL has to add macros: to the beginning if you add a defined macro to an item.

This would be easier if we could save a ML Template like we can a Plan or Layout Template and Pre-programme it but AFAIK currently all we get is a "snapshot" and you have to generate it per plan. ATM moment I am thinking a Schedule saved as Default maybe easier.

M.