Half wall-soffit interaction

JamesR

Hello folks,

I have a half wall framed for a two-level counter top in a basement space. There are soffits/bulkheads above the wall concealing mechanicals. When I generate a 3D view, it looks like the half wall, who's height is 40", is cutting into the soffit above (100" height). Any ideas how to prevent this? I've tried a couple of the options in the Wall>Structure tab, but nothing that has changed the behavior. I can post the plan if its not a settings/obvious issue.

Thanks,

--Jamie

Soffit-Half Wall Issue.JPG

Thanks folks. I knew about the polyline solid, but had not thought of using a custom countertop. However, that goes along with Chief having 5 tools to do any one task.

With the p-solid and countertop approach, I assume lighting will not recognize it as a ceiling surface and I will have to manually set the height of all cans and pendents?

And do we think the behavior of the half-wall and soffit are normal, or a bug?

Thanks,

--Jamie

1 hour ago, solver said:

I reported this same problem several years ago and as usual, they confirmed it worked this way, did not admit it was a problem, but added it to their list of things to look at changing the current behavior.

Excellent...

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

Thanks folks. I knew about the polyline solid, but had not thought of using a custom countertop. However, that goes along with Chief having 5 tools to do any one task.

With the p-solid and countertop approach, I assume lighting will not recognize it as a ceiling surface and I will have to manually set the height of all cans and pendents?

And do we think the behavior of the half-wall and soffit are normal, or a bug?

Thanks,

--Jamie

Do both Soffits show the same behaviour out of curiosity?  ie pull the narrower on back inside kitchen and wider one over the Wall? or don't and fill gap only with a solid

PS. X11 is in your Digital Locker assuming your SSA is good through March 30th.

M.

Thanks again everyone.

Mick - This is my first upgrade cycle, so I'm alittle gun shy to move over to X11 wholesale, but I do have it installed. I'm sure in the future it won't scare me as much.

Michael - Do you mean putting them in an architectural block?

--Jamie

1 minute ago, JamesR said:

Michael - Do you mean putting them in an architectural block?

Yes.  Light fixtures will still work like you want and the soffits won't get cut by the half wall, but molding won't work.  Or how bout try this instead...

Rotate that soffit that covers your half wall so that the face is parallel with instead of perpendicular to your half wall.  You'll have to reshape of course to flipflop the width and depth.