X-11 SHOWS A LAYER IS USED IN DEFAULTS-

Renerabbitt

8 minutes ago, RodCole said:

The tool tip is very helpful for some things, but from my experience it does not distinguish between system layers and those layers that the user created.

Rod,

I am confused.

Aren't the system layers the ones with a big red S in them?

Actually Chief has already hit it out of the park as far as what they have done on their end is concerned.  Chief's layer filtering system is absolutely elegant, the problem is without some kind of a coding prefix to use it is almost pointless.

This is a bit frustrating since the only current way to deal with this is to rename every layer in the system which is very time consuming, and also very difficult to maintain with the lack of tools available in this regard.

17 hours ago, RodCole said:

The tool tip is very helpful for some things, but from my experience it does not distinguish between system layers and those layers that the user created. 

Oh, now that I think about it, that change came after the public beta release. Assuming nothing changes, though, that should work in the final release.

tooltip.thumb.png.8111bf0c99335a29c422bd75b0cbe6ce.png

17 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Is there currently a way to list layers using prefixes (space, character, . letter) that can be unique to a single layer set as the video above asks?

Currently, I'm not aware of one. We synchronize layer names between layer sets even if the "Modify All Layer Sets" option is left unchecked.

17 hours ago, glennw said:

I would like to see a hierarchical "folder" structure for the layers.

It looks like we've gotten similar feature requests a handful of times before. I've brought it up for discussion so the rest of the development team can decide how and when to approach that idea.

I am wondering if it would make any sense to give Chief users the ability to populate each layer set with "only" the layers we want active (visible/displayed) within each Layer Set we are presently using.  Maybe have it set up similar to how the schedules are set up where we select the layers for a particular layer set from the total (default) list.  Any layers we don't want shown for a particular layer set would not be seen in the ALDO's dialog. 

The goal would be to not have to go through (scroll down) hundreds (±) of layers in Active Layer Display Options and pick the ones we want displayed.  And more importantly, not have all the layers not used by a Layer Set displayed in ALDO's.  If at some point in time we want to add new layers to a Layer Set, then we could just do that like we can now.

Not sure my suggestion would/could work as easily as I am envisioning this.  Layers and Layer Sets are, more or less, the heart and soul of Chief Architect so I suspect changing the way layer sets and layers are managed now would be like trying to put cruise ship engine in a VW ... lots of work.  But maybe ????  I think Chief is set up in a manner that encourages us to keep things simple but nevertheless lets us do our customization's if we so choose.

If someone has already made this suggestion or something similar to it in this thread, sorry, I have sort of been skimming quickly through the posts and may have missed it.  Good thread on an important topic.  Made me realize there are some things I should be using to make life easier ... such as using filters or reorganizing columns from time to time to quickly get to a layer.

23 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

I am wondering if it would make any sense to give Chief users the ability to populate each layer set with "only" the layers we want active (visible/displayed) within each Layer Set we are presently using.  Maybe have it set up similar to how the schedules are set up where we select the layers for a particular layer set from the total (default) list.  Any layers we don't want shown for a particular layer set would not be seen in the ALDO's dialog. 

The goal would be to not have to go through (scroll down) hundreds (±) of layers in Active Layer Display Options and pick the ones we want displayed.  And more importantly, not have all the layers not used by a Layer Set displayed in ALDO's.  If at some point in time we want to add new layers to a Layer Set, then we could just do that like we can now.

Not sure my suggestion would/could work as easily as I am envisioning this.  Layers and Layer Sets are, more or less, the heart and soul of Chief Architect so I suspect changing the way layer sets and layers are managed now would be like trying to put cruise ship engine in a VW ... lots of work.  But maybe ????  I think Chief is set up in a manner that encourages us to keep things simple but nevertheless lets us do our customization's if we so choose.

If someone has already made this suggestion or something similar to it in this thread, sorry, I have sort of been skimming quickly through the posts and may have missed it.  Good thread on an important topic.  Made me realize there are some things I should be using to make life easier ... such as using filters or reorganizing columns from time to time to quickly get to a layer.

Good post Curtis and even though I think I might have suggested similar, you put it much clearer. Is it finally time for a layer manager? Hope so....