Corrupted file please help!

Tdgdesign

5 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I realize that this is a little like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped, but I strongly encourage you to put your plan and layout files in a Dropbox folder on your computer. Dropbox keeps (pretty much unlimited) multiple version histories for 30 days (longer with Business plan), and you easily could restore a plan file from there. It's all archived automatically in the background, and there is an archived version every time you save your file. So you might have multiple versions for the last day. There's often a usable version in Chief's archive files, but Dropbox is WAY easier. Other programs like Carbonite might do this, too, but I've found Dropbox to be very reliable and fast.

Yes, DropBox, carbonite, whatever it takes. Lose one plan and it's all worth the time and cost...

There's too much turned on in each view. Use more drawings in your layout with more refined layer sets. Turn off terrain and all landscaping and all electrical for sections for starters. It will speed things up. This takes forever to generate a section view; like 3 minutes. And like Richard says, for all projects, but especially complex ones you need a trustworthy archiving system.

Thanks a bunch everyone! I am starting to suspect that my issue may be a result of not closing the layout file associated with this project last night and then wadda u know - I left my machine on and it did an automatic update at like 2am. Up until now I have had ZERO issues with Chief and I am usually very good about closing everything out prior to bedtime.

I will most certainly be employing Dropbox though, STAT. And being more efficient with my layer and view management.

3 minutes ago, Tdgdesign said:

Thanks a bunch everyone! I am starting to suspect that my issue may be a result of not closing the layout file associated with this project last night and then wadda u know - I left my machine on and it did an automatic update at like 2am. Up until now I have had ZERO issues with Chief and I am usually very good about closing everything out prior to bedtime.

I will most certainly be employing Dropbox though, STAT. And being more efficient with my layer and view management.

I also use Macrium Reflect Free to Image the HDD every 2 days to an external drive , just in case something like this happens , I also do a manual Image before any major updates from MickeySoft.

M

There is something very weird as Mick noted about the default location of the perspective camera. Don't know why it defaults to so far away.

Also use the 'Fill Window' icon to show all of the items in your plan and you will find elevation cameras and all sorts of stuff that's a LONG way away from your model. Either delete those stray elevation cameras or open and change their location to be closer to X:0 and Y:0.

BTW it's always a good practice to have your model close to 0,0 before you draw anything..

Just now, HumbleChief said:

There is something very weird as Mick noted about the default location of the perspective camera. Don't know why it defaults to so far away.

Also use the 'Fill Window' icon to show all of the items in your plan and you will find elevation cameras and all sorts of stuff that's a LONG way away from your model. Either delete those stray elevation cameras or open and change their location to be closer to X:0 and Y:0.

BTW it's always a good practice to have your model close to 0,0 before you draw anything..

The Overview camera will go out so it's view encompasses EVERYTHING drawn in the plan and the house apparently had a nuclear missile dropped on it last night as the camera is about 3 miles up in space :)

The house is at 0,0 or close , I checked , I set the Overview back to default height and 0.0 and it goes there , you see the corner of the house then the view snaps back out into space for some reason....

M.

10 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Wasn't going to post this video as the help has been pretty complete but maybe it will help in the future...

Thank you! So, I went back to a week old archive and when I fill window it behaves as it should - zooms to the extent of the house proper, there are no cameras in low orbit, etc. I do think at this point I am better off repairing the plan set from an older, un-corrupted archive file. Just seems like a lower risk of having another Chernobyl meltdown.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Curious as to how and set a default camera location?

Not a Default Location .....back to default height..... 60" in most cases....(Pic 1)... then each camera view will have the X+Y coordinates when you open it too.(Pic 2)

image.thumb.png.3b32660ab921a07390576da58107c83b.pngimage.thumb.png.498bceea57f0a44d33b37fa13a6adde2.png

Things are acting/seen a bit different in that plan cos I think it was done in X9 so I opened it in X9, so the DBX's are a bit different sorry , I was looking at a plan of Chopsaw's above in X11 so used those DBX's to show you as I had deleted the corrupt file.

image.thumb.png.23d55b256f882ae776d563c298e6c00b.png

12 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Things are acting/seen a bit different in that plan cos I think it was done in X9 so I opened it in X9, so the DBX's are a bit different sorry , I was looking at a plan of Chopsaw's above in X11 so used those DBX's to show you as I had deleted the corrupt file.

image.thumb.png.23d55b256f882ae776d563c298e6c00b.png

I'm just not seeing any way to set any kind of default for the Perspective Full Overview....there's no such dbx in the defaults. It seems to just pick a number from ...where?

Here's what my default Full pers overview dbx looks like. No setting I can see for height or location...where does it come from??

cam 2.png

3 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

If I remember correctly, it can't set a default (height) because a Full Perspective Overview includes everything you have added into the plan to that point. It has no idea what you will draw before selecting the camera view.

Yeah it does seem to behave that way - thanks Mike (Mick)

3 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

If I remember correctly, it can't set a default (height) because a Full Perspective Overview includes everything you have added into the plan to that point. It has no idea what you will draw before selecting the camera view.

Mike is right....... in X9 you can still use the Default check box and it would use the Default setting for the Full Camera Perspective Camera (not overview one) 

sorry for the Confusion

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Mike is right....... in X9 you can still use the Default check box and it would use the Default setting for the Full Camera Perspective Camera (not overview one) 

sorry for the Confusion

Thx...Did you know the 'o' key and the 'i' key will zoom in and out?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thx...Did you know the 'o' key and the 'i' key will zoom in and out?

Yes but I normally use the Arrow Keys to Spin and move in/out if using the Keyboard , I also use U/D or L/R a far bit too as my mouse is usually in Orbit Mode.

• Upvote 1