Corrupted file please help!

Tdgdesign

OK, I am just about done with my set of drawings so this morning I wake up to go over final details and then print and send. Nope - major problems in both the layout file and the master drawing. The master drawing - none of my exterior walls are showing their fill patterns in plan view. My entire second story walls dont show up at in either plan view or 3D. The layout file lost all of its links to various drawings, details, etc. I dont understand - yesterday it was fine, today its a pile of hot garbage.

Fortin.zip

Thanks for responses guys.

Yes, I looked in the archives and the only usable backup is from a week ago. So much has been done to the plans in the last week that its going to be next to impossible to be certain everything is where its supposed to be. I went through and checked my layer sets and that doesn't seem to be the issue. I mean, when I do a 3D overview with "All On" I am still missing massive amounts of information. I am losing my mind over this and apparently about to lose a ton of time and money. .

31 minutes ago, Tdgdesign said:

The master drawing - none of my exterior walls are showing their fill patterns in plan view. My entire second story walls dont show up at in either plan view or 3D.

The Plan file attached has Walls set to Main Layer Only.... as you can see I changed some Fills....

Not convinced there isn't something going on though as the file keeps wanting to rebuild the 3D (F12) and a 3D view get me a grey background ONLY

*** Overview says it is 141803109 9/16" above the Floor ?

image.thumb.png.934a5bf02b6d82c81dc83c09a6b95b2b.png

This may not work, but open the program and select File>Open Plan from the menu, Browse to your program's Data folder, which is located in the Documents directory, and open the Archives folder. Locate the Archive folder with the name of the file that your hoping to recover. You should have at least 2 maybe 3 saved versions of the file. you could open the latest file and it may be ok, or the next to the latest and start from there.

EDIT: I figured the guru's would jump on and help solve it. Way to go Mick!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

The Plan file attached has Walls set to Main Layer Only.... as you can see I changed some Fills....

image.thumb.png.934a5bf02b6d82c81dc83c09a6b95b2b.png

Yes, the first floor doesn't seem to be the issue but try going to floor 2. No matter what I do all the exterior walls up there are gone.

2 minutes ago, Tdgdesign said:

Yes, the first floor doesn't seem to be the issue but try going to floor 2. No matter what I do all the exterior walls up there are gone.

Was just trying to look at the 2nd floor in an overview but the Camera is messed up it is 141803109 9/16" above the house Floor... almost 12 million ft !

As I said in my 1st post there is an issue with this plan after being open in X9 for 10 minutes , i can't goto the 2nd floor , and now can't get from the 3D view back to the 1st floor.

Re extracted your plan and open in X10 and still acting very weird like you have a bad symbol or terrain or something in there

Elev. camera finally opened and you maybe right about the 2nd floor , so I hope you have that backup in your archive....

image.thumb.png.b058d2ed73885dd5ad3eefccde2ec9f6.png

Thanks for looking into it for me, I really appreciate it. You all have been way more helpful than Tech support. I just dont get how it was perfectly fine yesterday and them BAM! Of course it happens the day I am trying to publish the set (that is already two days late!)

I have to go back a whole week and hope I can remember all the subtle little tweaks I made. What a disaster.

7 minutes ago, Tdgdesign said:

whole week and hope

Don't you have an archive newer than that ?   is autosave not On in Preferences?

Tell them the Dog ate it :) , but you'll have it Friday for them....

No backup of your Own to USB or something Either ? ......tough lesson to learn....

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Don't you have an archive newer than that ?   is autosave not On in Preferences?

Tell them the Dog ate it :) , but you'll have it Friday for them....

Yeah, I went back several days in the archives and they're all the same level of FUBAR. Im now just going to rework everything the best I can. This is really disheartening as I have been a Chief skeptic for sometime and was almost a full blown convert.

5 minutes ago, robdyck said:

2000' down and to the left. You'll need to establish reference points to move it all back into place.

Might not be All either as an overview camera here went to about 11 million feet from earth ......and 2 million feet out right somewhere too looking at the  x and y coordinates.

This advice won't help now but I've had Carbonite as a secondary back up for years. It's about 55 a year and in all that time I've lost one file to corruption. It was SO SO worth it to have that backup. Simply restored and was back in business - saving starting from scratch... Like I said won't help but best of luck...

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Just one plan corrupt?  hopefully you don't have a failing HDD or something as I have not seen this level of corruption in 10+ years...

M.

I believe just this plan, yes. I am to shell shocked at the moment to go look under the hood of other projects. Computer is pretty much brand new so a hardware issue seems unlikely.

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

You need some help with layer and view management. Awesome design, but really bad plan management for a project this complex. This needs to be cleaned up or else you'll have more troubles.

Yeah, I am still getting up to speed with Chief. Long time AutoCAD only user so its been a struggle. I just dont get that even with some sloppy layer management, why would it go to bed fine and wake up sick? Also the line of corruption going back through so many archives?

I realize that this is a little like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped, but I strongly encourage you to put your plan and layout files in a Dropbox folder on your computer. Dropbox keeps (pretty much unlimited) multiple version histories for 30 days (longer with Business plan), and you easily could restore a plan file from there. It's all archived automatically in the background, and there is an archived version every time you save your file. So you might have multiple versions for the last day. There's often a usable version in Chief's archive files, but Dropbox is WAY easier. Other programs like Carbonite might do this, too, but I've found Dropbox to be very reliable and fast.

• Upvote 2