In Cabinet Puck Lights vs New Rope Light option

PamelaMellon

Finding that the Rope Light option bleeds( casts rings of  light)  from what appears to be an  open end of the fixture, no matter which way it is positioned when placed for in cabinet lighting, or how the light specs are set up. From cabinet to cabinet, and to the adjacent wall where a cabinet is placed, However finding that when Rope Light is present those  little bugger  Puck Lights /positions to where you place it. Seems to be behaving better, :ph34r:

I went a different way, similar to something I had already made in earlier vesions (I will only very rarely put puck lights in cabinets)

Found changing to spot works better. Between the rope light tool and the new convert selected to symbol making a vertical strip is pretty darn quick.

strips in cab.png

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

I went a different way, similar to something I had already made in earlier vesions (I will only very rarely put puck lights in cabinets)

Found changing to spot works better. Between the rope light tool and the new convert selected to symbol making a vertical strip is pretty darn quick.

strips in cab.png

Mark I can’t seem to get the spot lights to come on in standard or water colour views? What luminance do you use?

so you set up a strip light and then save as symbol so you just drop it in? Have you set up a few different lengths?

2 hours ago, dskogg said:

Mark I can’t seem to get the spot lights to come on in standard or water colour views? What luminance do you use?

so you set up a strip light and then save as symbol so you just drop it in? Have you set up a few different lengths?

That's a PBR not standard. (And most of those are Spot on the left and in cabinet, thing they are point on the right) I can't get standard to work either. I saved a couple of sizes, had some made earlier but these are a tad better. Just figured out for the interiors that I can make one really small, say 1" x .3/4" x 1/4" and still put a bunch of lights in it and offset each- so have 3 ft of lights. X11 makes it really easy.

57 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

That's a PBR not standard. (And most of those are Spot on the left and in cabinet, thing they are point on the right) I can't get standard to work either. I saved a couple of sizes, had some made earlier but these are a tad better. Just figured out for the interiors that I can make one really small, say 1" x .3/4" x 1/4" and still put a bunch of lights in it and offset each- so have 3 ft of lights. X11 makes it really easy.

Sounds like a bug.. it should work in standard view as well

1742362391_ScreenShot2019-02-18at4_47_32PM.thumb.png.3a4a13a80b98d5685af0f8068057fdc0.png

Is this what you mean Pamela?  

I'm trying out this rope light for the first time.  I tucked it up under this framed cabinet being sure to keep it below the floor.  looks like the light penetrates the back of the cabinet and the floor.  I feel like this a property of the cabinet rather than the light though.  

Turn the light into a spot and point it up at the cabinet, this is what I get:

1015059071_ScreenShot2019-02-18at4_55_47PM.thumb.png.b49e4d6741fe46cc922a22234cb73108.png

This may not be at all what you're talking about but I though it interesting nonetheless.  Pointing a puck light up at the bottom of the cabinet has an interesting result as well in that the light seems to turn off. 

This new rope light is no different than any other light, it's just a bunch of point lights spaced say 6" apart. Keep in mind that the lumen setting is not for the fixture but for each individual light in the rope. If the rope is 10 feet then there are 20 lights spaced 6" apart at say 1200 lumens each, that's a total of 24,000 lumens being pumped into the room. A typical purchased rope or tape light would only put out say 100 lumens per foot at best so on 10 feet the total is 1,000 lumens. You need to turn down the lumens. Any light, point or spot, will blow your scene apart if you give it enough lumens.

44 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I have tried spots at 100 and up to 1000/light still does not work in standard view.. but works in pbr

Yes, PBR deals with light intensities differently. It can be done but you will need to adjust the DBX camera exposure and brightness levels to get things to work. The setting for standard view and the default light intensity lumen settings are more aligned to Ray Tracing.