Walkthrough recording doesn't use GPU (X10)...

chomper

I've been lucky enough to have access to a machine that has X10 installed at my new place of employment. PBR... oh my god.

Anyway, I've noticed that when recording the walkthrough (with PBR as the rendering technique), the GPU is not used at all. Can this be changed?

It is supposed to.  What video card are you running on that machine and is Chief recognizing it.  Mine has always just worked but there are others here that can help you with the setup or diagnosis if it is not working properly.  Mine will actually peak out at 100% at times when recording PBR.

It's a HP ZBook 15 G3 with the Quadro M1000M. Chief sees this card as the video card to use and PBR runs like a champ when freewheeling in 3D (all of the motion modes are smooth as silk).

Further troubleshooting revealed that if I use the built-in codecs to process the video, it's all CPU. If I use the x264vfw coded, there is load sharing between the CPU and GPU.

Some updates.

We've managed to move the X10 install to a 12 core i9-7920X with a 1080Ti video card and 64GB RAM and the PB walkthrough rendering speed is still slow as treacle, I might be getting two frames per second if lucky. What gives???

Video takes a lot to render.  I just ran one at about 1 frame per second.  It will depend a bit on settings and file content but you will always get your video card hot.  Wait till you get a chance to try a 4K rendered video. This is why not many people do video and those that do charge a lot.

27 minutes ago, chomper said:

How can I select 4K? The Walkthrough Options box doesn't have the resolution drop down or codec selection as per the link:

Notice when the article was updated ?   That is a new option in X11.  Previous versions are restricted to the size of the recording window.  In X10 I was able to combine the area of all three of my 1080 monitors to almost produce a 4K walkthrough video.  Not necessary to go through that trouble now.