X11 Missing Patterns

builtright3

9 hours ago, CJSpud said:

In looking at how this new dialog works, if I pick a pattern from my User library and populate a polyline (PL) box with the new pattern, by default the scale is 1.0.  To see how the pattern looks I change it to a larger scale (e.g. scale 10).  This gives me a much better idea about how the pattern looks and maybe 10 is the scale I want to use.  But now if I change my mind and want to try a different pattern from my User library, and select and spray paint the PL box with the new fill, the scale reverts back to 1.0.  For some patterns, a scale of 1.0 just doesn't show very well what the pattern looks like IMO.  My preference on the way this should behave is that the new pattern would come in at scale 10.0, not revert back to the default 1.0.  Seems like this new dialog might be creating some extra steps in the simple process of applying patterns.

I have found over the years that Chief's Patterns are badly scaled , some need to be set at 10 , while many others I have used at 0.1 , it's a bit of a crapshot in that respect.

Since they are now in the Library though , we can now Open them with a right Click and reset the Scale for permanent use fairly easily it seems.

M.

NOT liking this 'feature' AT ALL. Might be missing something but it seems like this new feature adds steps? What am I missing?

We now have a convenient and familiar drop down menu with many fills that are seldom if ever used, and an extra step to create and get to the custom fills that we use every day? Does anyone else thinks that's just a bit backwards?

• Upvote 1

Well said Larry ... that's sort of where I am at with this as well.  Like you, I will see if my opinion changes with time as I use it more.  But I love your suggestions.  I too used a few of those "old" fill patterns, especially angled hatch fills but also angled cross hatch, all the time and it was quick and easy to put them in.  Maybe Chief can do some maintenance work on this feature to make it work better for us.

5 minutes ago, solver said:

Would it be good to assign frequently used patterns to the pattern drop down list, and use the library for rarely used patterns?

They would all be stored in the library, but only a user defined subset would be loaded into the drop down list for quick access.

Sounds good to me as like others here I mainly used the standard 4 or 5 previously , so I guess we need to make a Suggestion Thread and maybe a lost functionality Report too.

M

Just now, CJSpud said:

Well said Larry ... that's sort of where I am at with this as well.  Like you, I will see if my opinion changes with time as I use it more.  But I love your suggestions.  I too used a few of those "old" fill patterns, especially angled hatch fills but also angled cross hatch, all the time and it was quick and easy to put them in.  Maybe Chief can do some maintenance work on this feature to make it work better for us.

"quick and easy"...exactly.

11 minutes ago, solver said:

Would it be good to assign frequently used patterns to the pattern drop down list, and use the library for rarely used patterns?

They would all be stored in the library, but only a user defined subset would be loaded into the drop down list for quick access.

Yeah that would make more sense...