Tracing PDF's for Terrain Plan

NeilofOZ

Just imported a PDF lot and traced over the boundaries and contours as indicated in CA's tutorial Playlist 21, see attached both  

Tracey's Block Plan showing original PDF drawing and Tracey's Site Plan of the conversion I did, so far so good, I think.

Still have some issues as follows:-

1.Can't find where I access the text for the boundaries and contours as these are minute and require enlargement.

2.Obviously the next stage is to place the house on the Site Plan, but having difficulties as I am losing the foundation 

structure and other elements during the copy & paste procedure, pasted the house onto the Terrain and the Terrain

onto the house without success, need some help.

Neil.

Tracey's Block Plan.plan

Tracey's Terrain Plan.plan

1 hour ago, NeilofOZ said:

1.Can't find where I access the text for the boundaries and contours as these are minute and require enlargement.

Neil,

They are controlled by the Text Style assigned to the layer your boundary polyline is on.

Several ways to change it, here is one way:

Select the polyline, Object Layer Properties on the Edit toolbar, Text Style, Define, Edit, Character Height.

Be aware that if the Default Text Style is being used elsewhere as well, that text will also change (like the contours).

You may nee to use another text style or create a new one just for your boundaries and contours.

The contours are on a different layer, but are also using the same text style as the boundary polyline, so they change along with the boundary lines text.

Do you realise that not only do you have a terrain, but you also have about 7 copies of a polyline the same size as the terrain.

They are all stacked on top of each other - that needs fixing.

I am at a loss understanding what you are trying to do with the 2 plans - why the need for 2 plans?

You should be able to do it all in the one plan.

What are you trying to copy and paste.

I don't see any structures.

I don't see the .pdf because you haven't saved it in the plan.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Glenn & David,

Couple of things before I go into detail, I have difficulty dealing with the collective programme as a whole, so in some instances

I separate the elements so I don't go messing up other things I am working on, this is a classic scenario. In the fullness of time

and gaining experience from guys like you, hopefully I will be able to cut corners with this knowledge.

1. Fixed up the text, all of the text editing done previously was via Open Selected Object, this the process was totally new to me. 

2. Deleted the stack of Polylines  embedded in the Terrain Perimeter, lord only knows how they got there. Even after doing the

whole exercise again, the same thing happened. 

3. Have sent a new plan which combines the new terrain and house, the terrain profile looks good but still have the problem

resetting the house on the site, things go missing and other components remain in the original position, thought this could

be done by just Selecting the house and shifting it to where I wanted it to go.

To me, CA doesn't have a structured tutorial system, a beginner is left to a seek & search method for answers via a search

box and or forums. When I reviewed similar cad packages they came with a classroom tutorial package, which in hindsight

maybe this would have been a better option for me. We have User group in town, but they only meet once a month for a

couple of hours, which doesn't give you much of an opportunity to learn. I actually engaged a member of the User Group to get

me started, but in the end it became to costly. From my perspective, CA should have a structured learning programme whereby beginners can start with the elementary processes and work into the more complex ones and encompass a sort of Curriculum

backed up be videos. Anyway, I am achieving something that I never had the chance to do so I'm sticking with CA.

Regards Neil.

Tracey's House Plan & Terrain.plan

26 minutes ago, NeilofOZ said:

Thanks Glenn & David,

Couple of things before I go into detail, I have difficulty dealing with the collective programme as a whole, so in some instances

I separate the elements so I don't go messing up other things I am working on, this is a classic scenario. In the fullness of time

and gaining experience from guys like you, hopefully I will be able to cut corners with this knowledge.

1. Fixed up the text, all of the text editing done previously was via Open Selected Object, this the process was totally new to me. 

2. Deleted the stack of Polylines  embedded in the Terrain Perimeter, lord only knows how they got there. Even after doing the

whole exercise again, the same thing happened. 

3. Have sent a new plan which combines the new terrain and house, the terrain profile looks good but still have the problem

resetting the house on the site, things go missing and other components remain in the original position, thought this could

be done by just Selecting the house and shifting it to where I wanted it to go.

To me, CA doesn't have a structured tutorial system, a beginner is left to a seek & search method for answers via a search

box and or forums. When I reviewed similar cad packages they came with a classroom tutorial package, which in hindsight

maybe this would have been a better option for me. We have User group in town, but they only meet once a month for a

couple of hours, which doesn't give you much of an opportunity to learn. I actually engaged a member of the User Group to get

me started, but in the end it became to costly. From my perspective, CA should have a structured learning programme whereby beginners can start with the elementary processes and work into the more complex ones and encompass a sort of Curriculum

backed up be videos. Anyway, I am achieving something that I never had the chance to do so I'm sticking with CA.

Regards Neil.

Tracey's House Plan & Terrain.plan

Have you tried working through the Tutorial Guide? link to the PDF in the Help Menu. There are also books Like Terry Munson's that he has been updating for a number of years now. https://chiefapprentice.com/

No sure how this plan came together Neal but in this one each CAD line has 8 copies sitting on top of each other....

The house Elevation doesn't appear to be correct, it looks like it is Floating so the Terrain reference height is too low I think. The Deck framing and Footings are what made me look closer , and either the terrain is too low or you need to regeratet he deck framing so the Pilings reach the Terrain.

Typically if you want to use two plans you would make a symbol out of the House and then use that in the Plot Plan for Siting purposes as it is a Locked Block so to speak and can be moved at will.

Have a look on the Edit Menu>Edit Area> and you will find different Options for Copy/Pasting Groups of Objects to other Plans etc.

You better allow for a Lawn Sprinkler system that grass is looking awful brown :)

image.thumb.png.a0a24d6d7ce38d839523eef924442dc9.png

Normally for ease of Drawing you would leave the house vertical on the Screen and rotate the Plot etc , it is very cumbersome to draw with the House itself Rotated.

M.

Neil,

Looks pretty good to me.

You need to get the height correct by changing the Subfloor Height Above Terrain or rebuilding the foundations to the correct height.

I would not move the house, I would move the terrain and the terrain data - leave the house where it is.

Work out where you want the terrain to go and then maybe place a point and use Point To Point move after selecting the Terrain Perimeter and Terrain Data.

Otherwise, you can use Edit Area All Floors to move the house.

You really need to get rid of those break marks on the top and left of the terrain - they are a classic!

Reminds me of the time that the bricklayers were building the plan north point which they thought was a BBQ!

As Mick says, there is no shortage of training materials - start with Chiefs training videos.

If you open up the help file, there is a bar across the top of each page that says "Click to view related online training videos" - well worth a look.

7 hours ago, glennw said:

You really need to get rid of those break marks on the top and left of the terrain - they are a classic!

Reminds me of the time that the bricklayers were building the plan north point which they thought was a BBQ!

Yes the break Marks on a Terrain were a 1st for me , thought that must be an "Oz thing"

Now that is funny about the BBQ ! :)  that would be one embarrassed Brickie...

Oh and Neil if it didn't come across in my previous Post I actually thought it looked pretty good ...try the terrain at about -3000 or -3200 , (depends how many, if any, steps you want on the High side of the house ,maybe it's correct already?)  then you need to rebuild the deck framing to get it to build down to the sloping Terrain.

M.

Thanks for the tips fellas, & comment as follows:-

House Position

OK have several options here, leave the house & rotate the plot, convert the house to a symbol and move at 

will or Edit Area All Floors, I like the 2nd as it allows me to play around with the house as an individual object,

just my way of thinking.

Stacking of Polylines

Latest Plot plan was amended, checked it again and it seemed OK, still can't work out why/how this came about.

House Elevation

Will adjust the height of the terrain when house is in it's final position, also the decking posts and footings.

Remember that the house is existing and have measured the existing heights above ground level. 

General

Will leave the Terrain break lines ( i like them ) this plot is only a segment of a large agriculture lot and depends

on the outset of how I deliver the final drawings as I need to add an extension to a large workshop ( yet to be drawn )

for council approval.

No watering necessary as the ground is Wheat country and that's the nearest matching grass that was available

and is pretty much what it looks like with a bit of dirt mixed in.:D       

Regards to all. Neil.

2 hours ago, NeilofOZ said:

House Position

OK have several options here, leave the house & rotate the plot, convert the house to a symbol and move at 

will or Edit Area All Floors, I like the 2nd as it allows me to play around with the house as an individual object,

just my way of thinking.

Using the Plot Plan and symbol ( and perhaps a Plan Footprint) are really only for Siting and generating a few Views and doing those few pages of your Layout , you would then Work back in the Main Plan, if you need to make changes to the Existing house as the Symbol isn't editable once made. If you decide to do it all in one plan since you have a workshop to do too now, it maybe easier to Copy the Terrain into a copy of the House Plan ( always make a backup copy before doing this type of thing in case it all goes pearshaped)

Sounds like it's all going in the right direction now from the rest of the comments....

M.