Brickmold doesn't set into brick

rikdekker

I'm having trouble trying to get the windows to place properly. The brick mould should be inset into the brick but wants to sit on top of the brick. I have had them work properly on previous drawings but for some reason I cannot figure out how to get it to work. I have exhausted every option!

Any hints?

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 9.06.43 PM.png

Post the Plan......

Recessed to Sheathing would normally do it though....

it would be good to know what Version you are using too...most people put it in their Signature , so they don't need to post it each time they ask a question....

Thanks for your replies.

The situation is double brick walls in a century home. Wanted to draw them that way because of renovations. With this type of wall the "recess to sheathing" option is not active.

I suppose the only way is to cheat and use a framed wall but change wall fill to angle hatch to look like brick on the plan view. 

No time to be anal, gotta keep moving. It just seems like a detail the program should understand. 

5 minutes ago, rikdekker said:

Thanks for your replies.

The situation is double brick walls in a century home. Wanted to draw them that way because of renovations. With this type of wall the "recess to sheathing" option is not active.

I suppose the only way is to cheat and use a framed wall but change wall fill to angle hatch to look like brick on the plan view. 

No time to be anal, gotta keep moving. It just seems like a detail the program should understand. 

it's not a wall definition issue is it? being a double brick wall?

16 minutes ago, rikdekker said:

@solver, the program understands House wrap to be the sheathing layer? because I tried that trick with sheathing but it did not recognize it. I ended up as I said just fudging the wall thickness and changing the framing fill to brick.

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse the issue with my joke about the 2" thick house wrap , I knew it should be an Insulation Air Gap and he was just in a hurry.

M.

For some reason ,earlier when I used the double brick wall type, the "Recess into Wall" option was not active and showed as a pale grey colour.

I'm guessing because I copied and pasted the wall from an older version plan ( like X7 or so) since it was not in my wall type library.

I'm going too try and set up a new Double Brick wall type and see if that behaves properly.

12 minutes ago, rikdekker said:

I still had the original wall type on the upper floor. How do I make the air gap the main layer?

Also noticed the recess into wall not active on the window preference.

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 11.02.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 10.55.55 PM.png

Move it down into the Main Layer ..... delete any layers you don't need ...see my Pic above below of the Wall definition

Or

Save the wall type from my plan to your Library , then draw a short length in your Plan and then you'll find it in the Wall types dropdown and can assign it to the existing walls ...assuming it works for your Build? You may need a framing Layer and drywall too?

( you can then delete the short wall, when done).

M.

should look like this:

image.thumb.png.f1449f315f2854e9dca572ff910012e7.png

41 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I believe the only time that happens is when you have a single layer wall or, more specifically, no layers outside the main layer.

Also, I don't think that I would be making the air gap the main layer.

What is going to happen when you build a roof for instance?

New Image_75.jpg

Glenn

Good point. Since, in this case, we are only doing renovations on an existing home i am not to concerned how the roof will look on the plan. 

Ultimately I feel that Chief should offer more control on the placement of the window or at least, when the wall type box is checked "solid masonry" then the windows should adjust accordingly. I understand that the "masonry" option only refers to the energy value. 

I suppose I should make a suggestion to Chief.

14 hours ago, glennw said:

I believe the only time that happens is when you have a single layer wall or, more specifically, no layers outside the main layer.

Also, I don't think that I would be making the air gap the main layer.

What is going to happen when you build a roof for instance?

New Image_75.jpg

Not sure there is a good solution in Chief to get everything right unfortunately , CA doesn't add a Sill plate to the Top of Full Masonry Walls ( eg Brick or CMU/Block) AFAIK for the Roof framing to land on. I thought CA treated Brick walls slightly differently but that maybe only in regards to their alignment with walls above and below.

14 hours ago, glennw said:
  14 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Not quite sure how you quoted me as saying that Glenn , that was Rik's Comment...  but thanks for the Tip on the Single Wall layer Issue and recessing Windows