• 1 month later...

POST 35

Feel like I've been keeping this a secret, all to myself, and for the right user, this will be GOLD!

DAM-Digital Asset Manager, maybe you didn't know that you needed one, but you do!! Especially if you are designing for custom finishes or fixtures and presenting them in 3d.

A DAM software can save you tens of hours over the course of a few years. Couple that with an online Bridge software and you'll be flying.

Connecter is my favorite 3D DAM software

https://www.designconnected.com/connecter

image.thumb.png.a261060d39fe8bd7eee1ec7d5360eb56.png

It can search folder\sub-folder for 3d and image files. With filter by type options and 3d previews of every major 3d type you can imagine. Simply click on the symbol in your monitored folder and drag that symbol into your Chief window for the fastest fixture import you can imagine. I am a single seat user, but if you are interested in starting a design business with standardized materials and models, the professional tools in connecter are competitive with all of the best known softwares in the world for repositories.

If you are interesting in continuing the conversation and getting on a professional level setup, combining adobe bridge, quixel bridge, Substance suite and connecter makes for top tier asset production and management suite.

CLICK ME TO GO BACK TO THE INDEX!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hey Rene, 
I noticed earlier today that you'd responded to someone on the Q&A forum and mentioned Quixel.  Upon reading that I clicked the link and visited the site, but I was puzzled by what it was exactly.  I had the impression it was essentially an online storage area for 3D 'assets'... and that was about it.  So here you're expounding on the subject and I'm getting a little more clarity toward the usefulness, but still somewhat confused.  Here you mention DesignConnected as your DAM of choice ...which is (Digital Asset Management) and that sounds like exactly what Quixel did... which you're saying is Bridge software.  So now we've got DAM's and Bridge's and my head is spinning.  Also, when I looked at Quixel's website I didn't get the impression they were providing any kind of models or textures... but you seem to imply they do.
Bottom line is all I really wanna know is whether one of these options would make for a great User Library alternative for Chief?  I do use Sketchup too, mostly to just manipulate things for use in Chief.  

Cheers, and thanks for providing the info you do.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Disclosure first - I'm part of the Design Connected team, working on Connecter. I've noticed the discussion and the mention of our software and decided to step in with a clarification.

@DzinEye - Quixel Bridge and Connecter are both DAMs that are created with 3d artists/architects in mind. This is where the similarities end. Quixel Bridge is a platform created with pretty much the sole purpose to let you work with Megascans and the other assets that Quixel produces. In the most recent versions, they added an option to import your own content, but that's very time consuming and somewhat buggy.

Although Connecter is a product of a content provider (Design Connected) it's not created to cover the needs of our clients. You can't download models from www.designconnected.com within the app and the website is not advertised at all. There's a very small benefit to connecter your Design Connected account within the software.

The idea behind Connecter is to give you visual browsing and better organization no matter which content provider you prefer and what software you are using. The core features for organizing assets are available for everyone and unlike most DAMs, Connecter works with what you have in terms of storage solution. You add the folders that you are using within the app and it will read the available information. You don't have to upload the assets in cloud storage or a specific server.

If the file format that you are using isn't present in the default settings of Connecter, you can add custom ones in the Settings menu.

There are advanced integrations with 3ds Max, Cinema 4D, Rhino, and Blender (with Revit in the works). They don't change the core features but add different workflows for importing and exporting content from the 3d software.

Connecter is free and kinda easy to use, so you may give it a chance.

If you need any help contact our support team and we will assist you ASAP.

Cheers! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, Renerabbitt said:

POST 12

4 Whites with accompanying toolbar Icons-

The Gyp Bd Texture as well as the whites have an ambient occlusion map included to help maintain shadows in corners when exposure is turned up.

The Gyp Bd Texture:

DRYWALL.thumb.PNG.d2841118e2059461539da127bc134491.PNG

First download the .Calibz here: 

RABS PAINT TOOLBAR.calibz

For a fancy 3d Toolbar setup like this:

1499476246_ColorToolbars.thumb.PNG.e7a54b3efcdeff6855ad278454d9886b.PNG

Download these PNG.'s:

cust_8.png.b8a0e2628f5494735337dd29a50f3409.pngcust_104.png.9d2d6f6fa6d3e6e480bfdeb05c2f0b57.pngcust_7.png.46e7412776d64c17c4e66b8a7fb70f86.pngcust_84.png.b092b212c57871b13875132aecf7524f.pngcust_39.png.afa09c17a6c2b97e42c2663259bce727.png

Step 1 - Goto Tools/Toolbars and Hotkeys/Customize Toolbars 

Step 2 - Change the drop down menu "View Type" to "3D View"

Step 3 - Place 5 custom library symbols(search "Place Lib" in the search box) by dragging the Place Library Object to a tool bar location

1321341565_placelibraryobject.thumb.PNG.e818710b2466403eaed479e11610cf01.PNG

Step 4- Click on the Library symbol and it will bring up a dialog similar to this:

2058797409_placelibrarybrowse.thumb.PNG.8cb0664b2cb60953be6a859204ae4ca6.PNG

Click on Library and Search for your color, and then click on Browse at the bottom to search for your corresponding PNG

Please Quote this post for questions

Hi Renee, i am trying to set up your cool paint setup and i am stuck on step 4, not sure what you mean by select your colour?  You say there are 4 whites?

Any clarification would be helpful

4 hours ago, dskogg said:

Hi Renee, i am trying to set up your cool paint setup and i am stuck on step 4, not sure what you mean by select your colour?  You say there are 4 whites?

Any clarification would be helpful

You did download and install the Paint Toolbar.calibz File right? 

Go out to the library, assign one of the colors from the imported library , then click the lower browse button too, to go back out for the Icon.png for the chosen color from whereever you saved it too ( toolbars Folder maybe a good idea)

you'll need the PNG's above too if you want to use Rene's Icons.

M.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:45 PM, Renerabbitt said:

POST 35

Feel like I've been keeping this a secret, all to myself, and for the right user, this will be GOLD!

DAM-Digital Asset Manager, maybe you didn't know that you needed one, but you do!! Especially if you are designing for custom finishes or fixtures and presenting them in 3d.

A DAM software can save you tens of hours over the course of a few years. Couple that with an online Bridge software and you'll be flying.

Connecter is my favorite 3D DAM software

https://www.designconnected.com/connecter

This is so cool. Game changer. Thanks, Rene!

21 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

You did download and install the Paint Toolbar.calibz File right? 

Go out to the library, assign one of the colors from the imported library , then click the lower browse button too, to go back out for the Icon.png for the chosen color from whereever you saved it too ( toolbars Folder maybe a good idea)

you'll need the PNG's above too if you want to use Rene's Icons.

M.

I did download paint toolbar, not still getting the rest... how do you assign one of the colours

57 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I did download paint toolbar, not still getting the rest... how do you assign one of the colours

It's NOT "the" Paint Toolbar you downloaded, it's the 5 Colors (only) that you need to assign to the (5) Place Library Object Icons you placed in step 3, by clicking on each Icon and going out to the downloaded Paint Toolbars Colors, 1 by 1. ( assign Rene's .png icon to each one as well if desired )

Its easiest to place an "empty space" toolbar 1st, make it wider then drop the 5 Place Library Icons onto it to make a 5 icon Paint Toolbar .

M. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/1/2019 at 8:34 AM, Renerabbitt said:

POST 25

A set of floors I created, reduced and optimized for CA PBR.

Keep voting and I will try and bring new content accordingly.

remember that these floors look very sharp when using a color to " blend with material"

1324703918_RABSFLOORINGPACK1.thumb.png.c66ebb0056b9ccbe3a473760e23ea2fd.png

DOWNLOAD: RABS FLOORING PACK 1.calibz

Enjoy!!!

The uploads are slowing down as I am concentrating efforts on producing a very robust toolbar hotkey front-end for tablets...I am limited to ASCII characters....typing this post from this tablet interface!!   stay tuned:

20190301_162453000_iOS.thumb.png.ecec063fce9622a6b2958b557870bc5e.png

•  

Thanks for all the great resources you've created! Do you happen to have any solid woods that coordinate with these flooring materials you've perfected? 

1 hour ago, nikiley said:

Thanks for all the great resources you've created! Do you happen to have any solid woods that coordinate with these flooring materials you've perfected? 

Welcome of course, I have 1000's of textures, anything specific you are looking for?

On 8/11/2021 at 2:00 PM, Renerabbitt said:

Welcome of course, I have 1000's of textures, anything specific you are looking for?

The Old Golden Oak in your "RABS FLOORING PACK 1" is what I was using when I asked, although I was able to copy and rotate 90° to get a quick option for moldings. I really need to go back and watch that video where you're making the fall leaf pattern. my PS skills are abysmal at best, but it looks like you found some plug-in's to automate a lot of the effort. 

On 8/18/2021 at 1:39 PM, nikiley said:

The Old Golden Oak in your "RABS FLOORING PACK 1" is what I was using when I asked, although I was able to copy and rotate 90° to get a quick option for moldings. I really need to go back and watch that video where you're making the fall leaf pattern. my PS skills are abysmal at best, but it looks like you found some plug-in's to automate a lot of the effort. 

Please create a new material using these images. THIS IS MEANT FOR THE BLEND WITH MATERIAL OPTION AS A UNIVERSAL WOOD TEXTURE!
You will need to set the option to Blend with Texture in the Texture Panel under Material Color Section.
Use the color picker to grab whatever floor color you are using(should be present in the 3d Material Previewer.
Set Material to about 60" x 60" or so and should make for a very nice material. Adjust Bump down to .001

997956300_RabsWoodBlender1-Diffuse-2.thumb.jpg.5688f19296a2ee41abd5922460c5b50e.jpg

Rabs Wood Blender 1-Bump.jpg

Rabs Wood Blender 1-Roughness.jpg

image.thumb.png.343d6a61fa3ca311a638d9212360f660.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Renerabbitt changed the title to FREE SYMBOLS AND CATALOGS