1 hour ago, Downingdesigns said:

and i also cant find a sliding barn door for the life of me.. the type that slides on exterior of doorway.

There are free Libraries in X10 and X11 , not sure about earlier ? Bonus Doors No#1 IIRC.

yep....been around since X5 by the looks...

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/3d-library/index.php?r=site/detail/895

Looks like you need to do you Forum signature still as we have no Idea what you are Using.....

For those of you asking about pipe shelving, there is all kinds built into Chief.  It's in the Bonus library called "Vintage Industrial No. 1".  I know because I needed to use it for a recent project, and had no idea what the client was talking about... I'd never seen it before.  Even has pipe lighting!  Was surprised to see it in the library.  Note that it's an SSA library, so if you're not current, it's $2.99 to buy.

Roland

12 hours ago, RolandF said:

For those of you asking about pipe shelving, there is all kinds built into Chief.  It's in the Bonus library called "Vintage Industrial No. 1".  I know because I needed to use it for a recent project, and had no idea what the client was talking about... I'd never seen it before.  Even has pipe lighting!  Was surprised to see it in the library.  Note that it's an SSA library, so if you're not current, it's $2.99 to buy.

Roland

Was just looking at this and I had originally thought they wanted some Steampunk stuff , which is the Vintage No#6 Library...

M.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Taking an X11 Symbol to X10 isn't that difficult.  The process is to:

• Export the X11 Symbol to 3DS
  • Open X10
  • Import the 3DS file

But if you have X10 and SSA you can just upgrade to X11 ;)

Only problem with that is every symbol i upload has 2-4 texture maps minimum...pretty time consuming to recreate.

On 2/20/2019 at 4:07 PM, Renerabbitt said:

POST 21

THE COOLEST CHIEF ARCHITECT VIDEO EVER CREATED!!!

CLOUD SYNC MULTIPLE USER LIBRARIES INTO THE CHIEF ARCHITECT USER CATALOG FOR MULTIPLE END USERS/DEVICES...HEAD EXPLOSION!!! :blink::o:rolleyes::D

WEBSITE FOR THE REFERENCED SHELL EXTENSION: HERE

DONATE TO THE BRILLIANT PERSON THAT WROTE THAT FREE SCRIPT: HERMANN SCHINAGL'S PAYPAL ----------->btn_donate_LG.gif 

DIRECT 64 BIT OS DOWNLOAD: HardLinkShellExt_X64.exe

DIRECT 32 BIT OS DOWNLOAD: HardLinkShellExt_win32.exe

ENJOY THIS +1000!!!....I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!

CLICK ME TO GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POST!!

I guess this shell extension save end-user from having to use the command prompt "cmd"

mklink "z:\userLibrary\User_library.calib" "c:\programdata\Chief...\ReneUserLibrary.calib"

or Mac 

ln -s ...

I normally avoid shell extension because they are always running in the background

They can cause shell lockups

You only need to run these commands once.

or I would use 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/symlink-creator/

Run once executable and it does not have to be running in the background.

2 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

I guess this shell extension save end-user from having to use the command prompt "cmd"

mklink "z:\userLibrary\User_library.calib" "c:\programdata\Chief...\ReneUserLibrary.calib"

or Mac 

ln -s ...

I normally avoid shell extension because they are always running in the background

They can cause shell lockups

You only need to run these commands once.

or I would use 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/symlink-creator/

Run once executable and it does not have to be running in the background.

Exactly, I was hoping to decrease error  by avoiding the cmd prompt instructions.

you bring up a good point though, I hadn't run into any shell extension problems but I also have only dabbled in shell extensions briefly in past. I will amend that post to suggest removing the extension afterward if you think it advisable. 

POST 25

A set of floors I created, reduced and optimized for CA PBR.

Keep voting and I will try and bring new content accordingly.

remember that these floors look very sharp when using a color to " blend with material"

1324703918_RABSFLOORINGPACK1.thumb.png.c66ebb0056b9ccbe3a473760e23ea2fd.png

DOWNLOAD: RABS FLOORING PACK 1.calibz

Enjoy!!!

The uploads are slowing down as I am concentrating efforts on producing a very robust toolbar hotkey front-end for tablets...I am limited to ASCII characters....typing this post from this tablet interface!!   stay tuned:

20190301_162453000_iOS.thumb.png.ecec063fce9622a6b2958b557870bc5e.png

CLICK ME TO GO BACK TO THE INDEX!!!

•  
  • Like 4

POST 26

A new old floor!

Using Substance Designer created this floor from my oak plan floor in the previous upload

1879999999_ABSROUGHGOLDENOAKFLOOR.thumb.png.994b05c8dd1a9cfa46e0fdce1c2b16c7.png

DOWNLOAD: RABS ROUGH GOLDEN OAK FLOOR.calibz

Enjoy!!!

The uploads are slowing down as I am concentrating efforts on producing a very robust toolbar hotkey front-end for tablets...I am limited to ASCII characters....typing this post from this tablet interface!!   stay tuned:

tablet.thumb.PNG.d291500a75aba7a1b8b7a5fb8ec91b8f.PNG

On 2/23/2019 at 1:46 PM, rispgiu said:

Rene I had not thought of that. Do you think I could possibly have an issue even though I only have 1 license?

@rispgiu With x11 our user library can be in a cloud location for accessing from multiple computers. The conflicted copies will only come into play when more than one concurrent instance of Chief is accessing that file. If you have only one license and only using Chief from one location at a time, you'll be fine. You should only need to direct Chief in the preferences where your user library is located. Do this on each of the computers you use for Chief.

6 hours ago, DianneDSC said:

@rispgiu With x11 our user library can be in a cloud location for accessing from multiple computers. The conflicted copies will only come into play when more than one concurrent instance of Chief is accessing that file. If you have only one license and only using Chief from one location at a time, you'll be fine. You should only need to direct Chief in the preferences where your user library is located. Do this on each of the computers you use for Chief.

Thank you Dianne, as matter of fact I have had no issues so far. 

Hi Rene, I've been searching for a cloud-based library storage solution for years. I've dabbled with a few (some my own) and have ended up with duplicates or other issues which have driven me back to the old manual sync. I have three licenses and three users. I just wrapped up a couple of big projects and am finally upgrading from x9 to x11 and am going to give your solution a shot... I'm super excited about it just imagining the time we all will save!

In watching your video it looks like you store the core, manufacturer and bonus libraries on your local drive. I use Onedrive and am wondering if I can store these files in the cloud (with a continuously updated copy on my local drive) and still use your method for the user libraries or am I asking for trouble? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Suzy

1 hour ago, HDsquared said:

Suzy

Afternoon Suzy,

First off thanks for dropping a question in my direction- in future I will respond promptly if you use the "quote selection" tool as it will ping me :)

Onto your question, their was an ongoing conversation about this in the Beta forums so I will try and quote what I wrote to DianneDSC over there which should answer your question...in short yes its possible, ideally you need to setup cloud permissions so that each computer has exclusive control to force overwrite its respective library...see below

quote:

On 3/5/2019 at 7:39 AM, DianneDSC said:

@Renerabbitt  I am having some issues getting this set up. I had a conflicted copy message from dropbox on my computer when another user made a change to their user library on their computer. How is this working for you? Perhaps I have something set up incorrectly. Any insight will be appreciated. There are 2 of us that need to have access to each others user library. Thank you.

Renerabbitt wrote: Its working well for me perfectly thus far so let's check this out...

First up let me be clear about how I am using this-

1. I use 3 cloud services ea. with multiple accounts. one cloud service is being used with two accounts to sync up my clouds and nothing else.

2. Account 1 is sharing Desktop library with account 2 and account 2 is sharing its main library with account 1- this may not be Necessary, it's how I first set it up. You can create a symlink to a symlink which could avoid this scenario if needed added control of sync.

2. OneDrive account 1 is used for only syncing user libraries, nothing else. It remains off for most of the day(not active)

3. I have my OneDrive auto scheduled to only turn it on at the end of a day

4. My desktop User library is placed at lets say z:/CA/Desktop User Library/. My Desktop machine has its main user library sym-linked to that location. My Laptop has this library sym-linked to manufacturer libraries. 

5. My laptops user library is placed at z:/CA/Laptop User Library/. My Desktop has a sym-link to this user library in its manufacturer libraries. My Laptop has a sym-link to this library as its main user library. 

6. What this does is make it so that on the laptop the desktop user library never changes and thus has no reason to be synced, and on the desktop the same is true(inverse respectively)

First off do you both have file locking selected in your preferences under file management? uncheck that.

next, maybe we need to establish some method or rather protocol for overwriting...I'm not using dropbox for this purpose but maybe take a look at this article:

https://products.secureserver.net/products/off/help/OFF_Program/OFF_Program/off_program/settings/setting_options_for_dropbox.htm

You want this setup so that his/her machine will force an over write of his/her library only...same goes for you and your library.

That may not be necessary- try this :

Add a folder at the root of ea. user library designating which library it is..e.g/ Dianne's User library

Dianne has her user library in z:/CA/Dianne_s library on her machine and create a symlink from her library to dropbox:/Dianne_s Library/

George has his user library in x:/CA/George_s library on their machine and create a symlink in dropbox:/George_s Library/

Dianne has a symlink in mfr libraries on her machine that links to dropbox:/George_s Library/User Library.calib

George has a symlink in mfr libraries on their machine that links to dropbox:/Dianne_s Library/User Library.calib

Let me know how it goes- I think I covered my use scenario and why it's working- and it makes me very happy not to be messing with this anymore, i have no sync issues to date

On 3/6/2019 at 8:31 AM, DianneDSC said:
@Renerabbitt Thank you for your help. I have it all so that we are seeing each other's user library on each other's laptops. However, if one of us adds something to or makes a change to our personal library, it is not reflecting on the other person's laptop. Based on your comment above, is this the correct behavior? Or does your user libraries update and sync when your one drive is activated at the end of the day so the next day everyone can see and access each other's changes? Even after closing CA and reopening it, our library changes are not being updated to the other person's laptop.

I used the process below:

Renerabbitt wrote:

Yes I only sync at the end of the day to update the days changes. Ideally you would schedule this so that no user is in CA as that would avoid naming conflicts. this way of setting things up simply ensures that you wont lose your library from conflicts..it doesn't ensure that the other persons library on your machine wont have conflicts. But even with conflicts you will see an old version of his library and a new version of yours. since his user library in your machine will never be changed from your end, at some point his updates will show up when their is no inherent file locking.

the ultimate goal i think would be to figure out how to force overwrite which i had a link to in the other post. this would make it so that no matter what state his user library is in, when his dropbox sees a new user library from him it will force overwrite all other versions of that file instead of creating a copy.

On 3/11/2019 at 4:29 PM, HDsquared said:

In watching your video it looks like you store the core, manufacturer and bonus libraries on your local drive. I use Onedrive and am wondering if I can store these files in the cloud (with a continuously updated copy on my local drive) and still use your method for the user libraries or am I asking for trouble? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Suzy, Following Rene's suggestion,quoted below, for our User library. I do have a system working somewhat well. We use dropbox and still figuring out the update sequence. It seems that when our computers are shut down, such as overnight, the next morning when we each start up and open Chief, the user catalogs are updated. Using Onedrive, Rene mentions having a dedicated account just for user catalogs, and a scheduled time for syncing overnight. 

What we have discovered so far to keep from having conflicted file copies: User A cannot add, modify, or delete in any folder created on User B's system and vice-versa. I have all the user library content on my system but Melissa, our other designer, has access to this content to use in Chief. She just can't add to these folders, delete items or modify the content or else a conflicted file copy is created. She can copy the items to folders in her user library and modify from there if needed. Melissa created a folder in her User catalog named "1 new (her initials)" so " 1 new mb". The "1" is so it's at the top of the list. This is a holding place for new content she adds. She creates sub-folders that match the structure of our main user catalog. Then, once the files are synced so I see them on my system, I add each new item into the appropriate folder in the main user catalog on my system. Once she has the synced updated main catalogs, she can clear out her "1 new mb" folder. 

Rene's suggestion that I followed. Since you have 3 users, you would need to add an additional user symlink, and place in the bonus libraries on each system.  Hope this helps.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:25 PM, Renerabbitt said:

Add a folder at the root of ea. user library designating which library it is..e.g/ Dianne's User library

Dianne has her user library in z:/CA/Dianne_s library on her machine and create a symlink from her library to dropbox:/Dianne_s Library/

George has his user library in x:/CA/George_s library on their machine and create a symlink in dropbox:/George_s Library/

Dianne has a symlink in mfr libraries on her machine that links to dropbox:/George_s Library/User Library.calib

George has a symlink in mfr libraries on their machine that links to dropbox:/Dianne_s Library/User Library.calib

• 1 month later...

POST 27

A video showcasing some methods for creating your Con-docs entirely in .plan

I'm only a month away from my wedding date and have had some crazy personal breakthroughs in the search for family and also a very large tragedy; so new content will be at a slow crawl for the time being...hopefully I will ramp up again in June..stay tuned

• 3 weeks later...
  • RENE - CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WEDDING.. I WISH YOU AND YOUR FIANCE MUCH HAPPINESS.  I MUST SAY THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU DO FOR THE CHIEF ARCHITECT FAMILY. YOUR SELFLESS COMMITMENT TO HELPING OTHERS AND SHARING NEW TIPS AND TECHNIQUES IS SINCERLY APPRECIATED BY ALL.  YOU ARE A TRUE INSPIRATION.  I WISH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ALL THE BEST.. MAY YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL WEDDING AND A FABULOUS HONEYMOON.  THIS IS A GREAT VIDEO. THANKS FOR CREATING AND SHARING SUCH TIPS AND TECHNIQUES.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow... I'm late to the party... just discovered the ReneRabbitt Channel!  

So much to look at... but quick glimpse says you're very generous for sharing 
Just watched the marquee select vid.  I have had SX (Select crossing) and SW (Select enclosed) hot keys setup since starting Chief.
Never really think to use the select by center option.  I think it's use would be limited.  
I wish Chief would add ability to use a circular marquee and polygon marquee.
Cheers Renee... I will check out your other stuff here over time.

-Mark

2 hours ago, DzinEye said:

I wish Chief would add ability to use a circular marquee and polygon marquee.

There are a couple of methods that spring to mind depending on what sort of objects you want to select and what you want to do with them once selected.

You can use a polygon marquee in association with Edit Area on both cad and architectural objects.

You can use Fence Select on cad objects (the polygon has to intersect the cad object.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:35 AM, Donco15 said:

RENE - CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WEDDING.

I never said thank you for this, much appreciated, I remember reading this and it lighting up my day, best to you too.

2 hours ago, DzinEye said:

So much to look at

Dig in, I have a back log of things to upload here, it's been a while. Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Renerabbitt changed the title to FREE SYMBOLS AND CATALOGS