Always cat chasing the tail...

rockyshepheard

51 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

I actually have. And I've never seen one that said you should not draw a plant that could intersect another plane that is at a different height because it will make original plane take on the height of the plane it overlaps (even though they are drawn on different floors. There may be lots of nuances that these videos don't cover.

It's covered in the Help Files and Reference Manual though...

"...A Baseline drawn along a wall should be drawn over the outer edge of the wall’s main layer. It tries to snap to that layer.

• The elevation of the top plate is defined by the ceiling height in the room. If the roof plane is not drawn over a wall, it’s height is based on the default ceiling height value for the current floor.

• If a Baseline is drawn over the top of any other roof plane, the Baseline height equals the height of the existing roof plane at the point where you started drawing..."

It's for this reason and many others that I'm constantly trying to encourage people to make the Help Files the first place they go.  You can simply click Launch Help and search for various topics (which will typically provide links to more related topics), you can click Launch Help with an object selected and it will take you straight to some of the most relevant information for that object type, or you can click on the Help button in the various dialog boxes and it will take you straight to the part of the manual that describes that specific dialog box, what all the settings and for, and how they're intended to be used.  The Help have to be the single most underused resource at our disposal.  I personally probably use them on a daily basis. 

The problem with using videos is that A:  They may be using an older version of the program (its simply unrealistic to think they can redo all videos with every new release) and so the tools and processes they are using may be outdated, B:  The structure they're working with may be substantially different enough that the processes being used can't really be applied to your project, or C:  You watch the whole video only to find out that they skipped over the one thing you were hoping to find out.

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2019 at 9:30 AM, rockyshepheard said:

Thanks! Much appreciate. My difficulty is there are so many lines that are on top of each, I cannot tell what' going on. Maybe a button that would show only baselines and walls so it would be easy to see if a baseline has moved. Or a way to lock a baesline. CA doesn't seem to be big on locking things. These baselines kill me over and over.

This is the power of layer sets.  You can set up various layer sets to show only what it important for you to see for a particular set of tasks.  I have a layer set called "roofs, working" which shows baselines in bright red, and very little else.  Just exterior walls and roofs.  That makes sure I see clearly what I am doing and don't miss something like a misaligned roof baseline.

I was in second year engineering school long long ago, and the core curriculum required all of us to take a course called "Numerical Methods."  Each week we were posed a problem that required a solution requiring the computer.  The machine, the only one on campus, took up half the first floor of the computer center building.  It was a Univac 1107, and all program entry was via punched cards.  The language we used was Algol, a variant of Cobol.

We were not taught to code in the class, but expected to learn it via the manual available at the bookstore, page-format in size and one inch thick.  You figured out what you wanted the computer to do, and then wrote a program to solve the problem and print the results.  We punched our cards at keypunch machines and stacked our decks, then stood in line at the card reader to run our decks, then again in line at the printer, to get our results.  You had to be pretty good to get a successful run the first time.  Precise editing of the code was required, and good skills at the keypunch desks.

The computer science grad students were in charge of the whole shebang, and they wrote the error messages, one of which came at you in all caps if you failed to get a run in six attempts.  It read "Do not attempt to learn Algol by monte-carlo methods.  Read your manual."

We've got an OP here named Rocky intent on learning Chief by monte-carlo methods.  It is entertaining, but the process is getting a little wearisome.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I was in second year engineering school long long ago, and the core curriculum required all of us to take a course called "Numerical Methods."  Each week we were posed a problem that required a solution requiring the computer.  The machine, the only one on campus, took up half the first floor of the computer center building.  It was a Univac 1107, and all program entry was via punched cards.  The language we used was Algol, a variant of Cobol.

We were not taught to code in the class, but expected to learn it via the manual available at the bookstore, page-format in size and one inch thick.  You figured out what you wanted the computer to do, and then wrote a program to solve the problem and print the results.  We punched our cards at keypunch machines and stacked our decks, then stood in line at the card reader to run our decks, then again in line at the printer, to get our results.  You had to be pretty good to get a successful run the first time.  Precise editing of the code was required, and good skills at the keypunch desks.

The computer science grad students were in charge of the whole shebang, and they wrote the error messages, one of which came at you in all caps if you failed to get a run in six attempts.  It read "Do not attempt to learn Algol by monte-carlo methods.  Read your manual."

We've got an OP here named Rocky intent on learning Chief by monte-carlo methods.  It is entertaining, but the process is getting a little wearisome.

That’s a shitty thing to say to someone who is dyslexic. Reading is a momentous challenge for me so I opt to watching videos and Q&A.

1 hour ago, rockyshepheard said:

That’s a shitty thing to say to someone who is dyslexic. Reading is a momentous challenge for me so I opt to watching videos and Q&A.

Dyslexic or not, his point is still valid.  It is up to you to adapt your learning style and unique challenges to the available resources.  And I've read no mention of dyslexia in your posts thus far, so maybe chill out a bit on this dude.  Have you ever looked into text to speech applications?  If you have trouble reading something, have the computer read it for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

To Rockys defense, there have been some very curt and albeit rude responses to his queries.

We are all here helping him voluntarily-key word there, if you don't like his learning methods, don't read his posts...don't volunteer.

A challenging student makes for a better teacher. I've already learned a trick or two in attempting to explain a method to Rocky. Rocky's challenging because he is brand new yet possesses some core understanding from a similar software.

I struggled through CA, and I wish I had asked more questions- it can be extremely cumbersome going through video after video without true reference.

When I get some time I'll clean up my anno sets and load some up for you Rocky so you can take a look.

His posts have led to some fantastic videos on roof building methods and more...I say keep going

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

To Rockys defense, there have been some very curt and albeit rude responses to his queries.

We are all here helping him voluntarily-key word there, if you don't like his learning methods, don't read his posts...don't volunteer.

A challenging student makes for a better teacher. I've already learned a trick or two in attempting to explain a method to Rocky. Rocky's challenging because he is brand new yet possesses some core understanding from a similar software.

I struggled through CA, and I wish I had asked more questions- it can be extremely cumbersome going through video after video without true reference.

When I get some time I'll clean up my anno sets and load some up for you Rocky so you can take a look.

Thanks for that! Much appreciated. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I did a simple clean up of his own file as I couldn't work the way he does especially on Roofs.... but I'll be happy to look at yours too :)

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21262-creating-roof-plane-on-1st-floorgoes-to-the-2nd-floor/?do=findComment&comment=173400

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

I did a simple clean up of his own file as I couldn't work the way he does especially on Roofs.... but I'll be happy to look at yours too :)

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21262-creating-roof-plane-on-1st-floorgoes-to-the-2nd-floor/?do=findComment&comment=173400

ha nice, I need to re-install X-10, I deleted it from my RAMdisk

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

Well said. Everyone's learning style is different. Some are great readers with a high level of retention and others are hands-on, they need to physically do it. Rocky has always been polite and grateful for the help he receives. He never makes any derogatory statements or personal insults. Keep posting Rocky, there are many of us who like to help without passing judgment about the one we are helping.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, javatom said:

I think the point is that the forum would quickly become unusable if everyone that buys CA uses the forum as their FIRST point of inquiry before doing some due diligence on their own.

Precisely.  I commonly advise people that the forum is about the worst way to try and learn Chief.  A great way to pick up some great tips and advice on various challenges we run into, but absolutely terrible (and expensive time-wise) as a primary learning source. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, javatom said:

I think the point is that the forum would quickly become unusable if everyone that buys CA uses the forum as their FIRST point of inquiry before doing some due diligence on their own.

Every purchaser of CA has the same right to access and use the forum. I'm not aware of any means test one needs to pass before being able to pose a question or attempt to answer one. Yes, topics can get bumped down, but you have the option to follow specific users and topics so you are notified when something that's of interest to you comes up.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, parkwest said:

I am curious now, aren’t all the responses to the questions here written?  How do you read these responses any differently than you would reading the manual?

Though the answers may be the same I believe that there are those that learn better in a more interactive environment while some of us just like to hunker down with the reference manual and screen in front and work through these things in isolation. The forum provides for greater interaction and can create an atmosphere that can help some maintain a higher level of interest.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rashid_Garuba said:

i am actually concerned for Rocky's Client(s)... I would be quite anxious to serve others if I weren't confident with my tools purely out of concern/respect for those that are trusting what I am providing ... Roofs are one of the easier parts of Chief..

I believe he is specifically using CA for rendering purposes and is working diligently to recoup initial investment costs. The byproduct being that he is learning a powerful software that may prove very valuable to him in the future. 

I know I've been in plenty of instances when I underestimate and over-promise. 

I personally have never read more than a paragraph of the manual and have maybe watched 6 of the videos all the while the help button has been existence forever unbeknownst to me...to each his own learning method!

34 minutes ago, javatom said:

I am quite certain that a good number of people have learned something new from this post alone, let alone his other posts.

Nearly 600 views, with at least 75 users online at any time with 2000+ users logging in daily. 

Roofs are challenging to new users, he posed an interesting question or two and even uncovered the little known ability of pitching a roof on a z axis via a forum responder.

I only became a forum member in 2016 but have been in the software well over 10 years- sometimes it doesn't suit a personality to show humility and ask questions that may be perceived as dumb or uneducated when really he has the ability to ask and he is getting responses- and really really good ones at that!

We get a " which laptop" thread almost every week- still doesn't annoy me, just makes me smile and you know what, every time I learn something new about laptops!

Just now, Kbird1 said:

Oh ...you run CA out of the Ramdisk?  I guess you have a UPS then? as I wouldn't recommend that practice to everyone.....

M.

made a vid about it in that post 1060 v 1070

UPS and also,  Googles Backup and Sync now has the capability to sync any file in any location on windows...including your ramdisk. Not to mention my ramdisk is backed up at every shut down through the ramdisk software to an .img file- so even if somehow I lost power and somehow google backup and sync was turned off I would only lose that days work I did in the User Library, nothing more. But I save the .plan files used to create symbols which is backed up to microsoft OneDrive so even those library items would be recoverable

I just reopened the Ashley Close plan the OP posted, and the snaps are not turned off.  Here is a screenshot of his preference settings.

Seems to me it would take some mouseclick gymnastics to draw roof planes as he did with baselines not orthagonal, or not snapped to his walls.

Mr Shepheard, I'm sorry I offended you with my earlier post.  Is your dyslexia such that you can only read forum posts, but not watch training videos?

2019-02-13_1731.png

• Upvote 1

Preference settings are program, not plan, specific, i.e. they won't carry from user to user.

My method of learning has been and continues to be:

1. The help button in each dialog box
  2. Google search: "site:chiefarchitect.com my search terms" <- restricts search to only the CA website, including chieftalk
  3. If I want to Google ONLY chieftalk: "site:chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com my search terms" <- restricts search to only chieftalk
  4. Search tool on the chieftalk forum (difficult to obtain useful results)
  5. Reading the Chieftalk Q&A Forum almost daily (GREAT learning tool)
  6. Trial and error... and error... and error... and error... and error... and error...
  7. Repeat Steps 1 through 6
  8. Finally, I may either abandon whatever I'm trying to do, or reluctantly ask for help in a new thread here

You're right, Chris.  My error.  Preference settings are program.  Who knows what goes on with Rocky's preferences.

But if his snapping was all off, how did he draw all those walls orthagonally?

As for roof building, there are scads of good videos out there to show a new user the way.  Here is one that is quite relevant to the problem the OP has with his plan, and it is from Chief, and only a year old.