Always cat chasing the tail...

rockyshepheard

4 minutes ago, rlackore said:

This is a big part of your problem:

Capture.thumb.JPG.d750091dcd264d0be9578876b284490a.JPG

Note that the arrow showing the slope isn't perpendicular to the 8:12 roof. You need to orient the 10:12 roof to be perpendicular to the 8:12 roof.

EDIT: Kevin caught this right away (I was a bit slower than everyone else).

So the perpendicularity of the slope arrows is a way to check if the baseline is angled correctly?

29 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Yeah might not exist but not sure why you want to use it? Is the task more complex than joining the roof planes? There are 3 different pitches which does complicate things but have never tried the approach you're undertaking. Can't suggest a method to help with that direction. Good luck.

Curious, is that a technique that another program might use? New to me. Again good luck.

There are only 2 roof pitches...maybe one change on me. No unusual technique. Just trying to make roof plane edged connect. The baseline issue is probably my biggest problem. Also changing an edge angle and having the entire plane move instead of the line whose angle I'm trying to change.

15 minutes ago, madcowscarnival said:

Renerabbit, slightly off-topic, what auto roof method did you use to extend the slope down on the garage bump-out?  I know its easy with manual, but I'm curious about auto settings there.

I posted a vid..see above..will be HD quality in a few minutes more once youtube processes it

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Gave you a +1 on the vids, I made one for auto-roof , you beat me to it all , cheers

excuse my grogginess, not a morning person, HA!

Thank you for the video!! I originally had CA autobuild the roof but was sucked into modifying the planes because that v shaped intersection of the walls was far too big as you can see in the attached screen shot from ACAD. So when I get it closer to that size, the roofs overlap.

v shaped.jpg

12 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Thank you for the video!! I originally had CA autobuild the roof but was sucked into modifying the planes because that v shaped intersection of the walls was far too big as you can see in the attached screen shot from ACAD. So when I get it closer to that size, the roofs overlap.

v shaped.jpg

I don't have enough digits on my hands and feet to count the amount of times a CAD operator was incorrect.

If you have your wall dimensions correct and your elevations correct and your roof slopes correct then the only thing left to ponder is if the CAD operator was incorrect.

Also I'm assuming this is for the purpose of rendering only? If you haven't billed for a level of detail that would encompass 100% accuracy, then I would be clear that its worth cheating some numbers. Ask your client if close enough is close enough or would they like to spend $1000's more to get 100% accuracy.

1 hour ago, rockyshepheard said:

So the perpendicularity of the slope arrows is a way to check if the baseline is angled correctly?

Just make sure your "Roof, Baselines" layer is on.

I had to turn that layer on in your file to make my "diagnosis"

23 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

v shaped.jpg

Maybe rewatch the vid I made- I think maybe you missed the step about changing the roof pitch to 10:12 on each side. My roof shows a very similar size "v"

Rocky, ever thought of creating your own layer set or annotation set just for working on roofs? It'd be a huge help and is really quite simple. Just copy a layer set or annotation set, rename it, then turn off everything you don't use or want to see. Lock everything else that you don't want to accidentally select or change when working on the roof.

When using auto roofs, if the roof is not correct after the first build, don't give up and go to manual.

I find it is good practice to persevere with the auto roof build.

Instead of trying to manually edit the auto roof planes, leave auto build on, tile a 3D view and floor plan, and edit the building structure or roof settings and see what they do to the auto roof build.

More often that not, it just requires a change to either the Roof panel of the Wall Specification dbx or the Build Roof dbx, to get the correct roof to build.

It should not take long at all to build an auto roof on a plan like that and you will have no problems with joining roof angles, rotated roof planes, baselines in the wrong location, etc...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, glennw said:

When using auto roofs, if the roof is not correct after the first build, don't give up and go to manual.

I find it is good practice to persevere with the auto roof build.

Instead of trying to manually edit the auto roof planes, leave auto build on, tile a 3D view and floor plan, and edit the building structure or roof settings and see what they do to the auto roof build.

More often that not, it just requires a change to either the Roof panel of the Wall Specification dbx or the Build Roof dbx, to get the correct roof to build.

It should not take long at all to build an auto roof on a plan like that and you will have no problems with joining roof angles, rotated roof planes, baselines in the wrong location, etc...

Thanks. What did you mean by 'tile the 3D view and floor plan"?

I actually have. And I've never seen one that said you should not draw a plant that could intersect another plane that is at a different height because it will make original plane take on the height of the plane it overlaps (even though they are drawn on different floors. There may be lots of nuances that these videos don't cover.