Always cat chasing the tail...

rockyshepheard

So, I'm attempting to get all these roof planes to meet.

If an angle is off when I check 'selected line', I change the angle, then another angle changes!

Is there a way to change an angle and tell CA that they have no permission to change any other angle?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Ashley close.plan

heop.jpg

Edited by rockyshepheard

Have you tried using the join roof plane tool? It will automatically join roof planes and figure all the appropriate angle for you. Select one roof plane edge, press the '2' key and select the other roof plane edge and see what happens.

And yes it is considered a common courtesy on this forum to post your plan so people can truly help with your unique situation.

Another note if the problem you are posting is truly about using Chief's roof join tool then you really need to watch some videos or check the help files as it's one of the basic Chief tools that you should learn yesterday....

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Yes, I use all the tools except the one that limits angle changes to the line being changed. That function doesn't seem to exist.

Yeah might not exist but not sure why you want to use it? Is the task more complex than joining the roof planes? There are 3 different pitches which does complicate things but have never tried the approach you're undertaking. Can't suggest a method to help with that direction. Good luck.

Curious, is that a technique that another program might use? New to me. Again good luck.

I keep preaching this..start with auto-build roof and adjust from there...more often than not you can complete your roof just with the auto-build and wall designations.

Here's a plan, maybe it's not exactly what you are looking for, but there is more right than wrong here. adjustments from here should be easy-peasy:

this took 45 seconds to accomplish:

403874524_roofexample.thumb.jpg.0654577514c82f5bcdcc97729a58651c.jpg

Ashley close.plan

• Upvote 1

I'm far from even proficient with this program, but with three specified roof pitches, I would go through the effort of setting up roof info in the wall dialog boxes and use the autobuild function.  Ignore the main body of the house, and the hip instead of shed at the garage doors, this is how I attempted it.  Seems to have built out correctly.

EDIT: Deleted my attachment.  Renerabbits is the same thing, but better

Here's a handy formula for you when working with unequal pitch roof planes:

unequal pitch intersection angle = ATAN (high pitch / low pitch)

If the intersection angle (in plan) between your 8:12 and 10:12 roof planes isn't 51.34  (or 38.66 if you're measuring the other way) then you can be assured that something is very wrong.

3 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I keep preaching this..start with auto-build roof and adjust from there...more often than not you can complete your roof just with the auto-build and wall designations.

Here's a plan, maybe it's not exactly what you are looking for, but there is more right than wrong here. adjustments from here should be easy-peasy:

this took 45 seconds to accomplish:

403874524_roofexample.thumb.jpg.0654577514c82f5bcdcc97729a58651c.jpg

Ashley close.plan

That's how I did it.

3 minutes ago, madcowscarnival said:

I'm far from even proficient with this program, but with three specified roof pitches, I would go through the effort of setting up roof info in the wall dialog boxes and use the autobuild function.  Ignore the main body of the house, and the hip instead of shed at the garage doors, this is how I attempted it.  Seems to have built out correctly.

EDIT: Deleted my attachment.  Renerabbits is the same thing, but better

I stuck with one pitch to illustrate the point, but as you mentioned, would've been easy to adjust the pitch through the wall dbx..and cheers!

This is a big part of your problem:

Capture.thumb.JPG.d750091dcd264d0be9578876b284490a.JPG

Note that the arrow showing the slope isn't perpendicular to the 8:12 roof. You need to orient the 10:12 roof to be perpendicular to the 8:12 roof.

EDIT: Kevin caught this right away (I was a bit slower than everyone else).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I've done it all and maybe this created the problem?

Thanks! Much appreciate. My difficulty is there are so many lines that are on top of each, I cannot tell what' going on. Maybe a button that would show only baselines and walls so it would be easy to see if a baseline has moved. Or a way to lock a baesline. CA doesn't seem to be big on locking things. These baselines kill me over and over.